IGNORED

Europe Limits Speed of New Cars using GPS Data

Indy Dave

They've already got plenty of traffic cameras deployed - I got three tickets through the mail last time I went to Italy. 

• Like 1

Yes - we have those in selected areas, but they have fallen out of favor (like they ever were) due to public outcry. Arizona recently discontinued the practice on State Highways - both in fixed locations (I remember them in Phoenix) and in random areas where they would park a unmanned car on the shoulder for a day or days and it would generate revenue. One employee was shot to death servicing one of the vehicles on the side of the road.

https://azdailysun.com/news/suspect-arrested-in-shooting-of-radar-van-operator-in-phoenix/article_36dcd4e0-b43b-544a-a9be-4d9999f88b21.html

Red Light camera companies have also been found to over estimate the fees the municipality would generate by the cameras and studies show that the cameras lead to increased accidents.

But this is on another level all together, and offers further erosion of privacy potential. We know that modern vehicle systems have allowed others (2nd and 3rd parties) to listen and gather data without consent on vehicle info/nav systems (and smartphones). Using that data to issue citations can't be far off.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2017/01/15/police-spying-on-car-conversations-location-siriusxm-gm-chevrolet-toyota-privacy/#61c05dd2ef8f

My older cars are looking better and better everyday!

• Indy Dave changed the title to Europe Limits Speed of New Cars using GPS Data
roadscholar
1 hour ago, Indy Dave said:

My older cars are looking better and better everyday!

10-4, got a couple 20 y/o old Porsche's, with enough road one does 165, the other a little over 180 : ) 

My last 2 Chevy Tahoe's and my current one (2017) is limited to 95MPH.  It's running strong up to that point and then the electronics freeze it right there.  I suspect overtime that will come down some, but there are freeways here in Texas where the speed limit is 85 MPH.  Doesn't leave much room for passing.  

KneeDrachen

I miss my Lancia from when I was stationed in Italy.  Twin turbo, AWD.  The cameras were always marked ahead of time, there was a run between Vicenza and Florence, everyone would haul, hit the brakes and as soon as you're past the camera, back on the accelerator.  It really caught people not paying attention.

There was a huge uproar years ago over EZ Pass, people feared the state could use the timing of your tolls to calculate your speed and then be issued a citation for excessive average speed.  The state denied it would ever do that, but I've always wondered...

There also needs to be a degree of deviation. I just got a ticket in the mail from D.C. from a camera.  48MPH in a 45MPH zone.  Yes, 3 MPH which to me, would be within the margin of error of the speedometer.

I paid the ticket, it wasn't worth the hassle to argue over.  0 points, etc.  Just a nuisance. 

27 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

My last 2 Chevy Tahoe's and my current one (2017) is limited to 95MPH.  It's running strong up to that point and then the electronics freeze it right there.  I suspect overtime that will come down some, but there are freeways here in Texas where the speed limit is 85 MPH.  Doesn't leave much room for passing.  

A simple tuner will take care of that.

The vehicle I drive for income is governed at 65 mph and has an Electronic Logging Device, which gladly informs my boss when it exceeds the speed limit by more than 3 mph.  How the heck does it even know what the signs say?  Dayamm.

In England when I rented (hired) a car, it was a 2017 Volvo V40.  As I passed each speed limit sign change, it would show up on the speedometer with a symbol of that sign within seconds.  It KNEW!!  Even the variable speed electronic signs were pretty accurate.  It even had a chime go off and a symbol show on the infotainment screen every time we passed a speed camera.  I found that convenient, but I did not like being watched for speeding, even though most of the locals were doing it.  Oh well.

1 hour ago, wbw6cos said:

The vehicle I drive for income is governed at 65 mph and has an Electronic Logging Device, which gladly informs my boss when it exceeds the speed limit by more than 3 mph.  How the heck does it even know what the signs say?  Dayamm.

In England when I rented (hired) a car, it was a 2017 Volvo V40.  As I passed each speed limit sign change, it would show up on the speedometer with a symbol of that sign within seconds.  It KNEW!!  Even the variable speed electronic signs were pretty accurate.  It even had a chime go off and a symbol show on the infotainment screen every time we passed a speed camera.  I found that convenient, but I did not like being watched for speeding, even though most of the locals were doing it.  Oh well.

Just like Waze knows the posted speed limit.  My wife's 2018 GMC Sierra has a screen that shows the current speed limit for a given road.....nifty little thing as it allows me to calculate my ticket costs.....but Waze glows red when you go above the posted speed.

New commercial trucks integrate GPS into the cruise control functions. The data they use includes elevation and grade of ascent and decent and responds accordingly.

And that's the hitch/trade off - add features of convenience some consumers use/want and help yourself to all of the users info as well. All those free apps people use ain't free. 

Interesting.  I once had a max speed showing on my Garmin 2610 of 214MPH.   I had lost signal for a number of miles and when it reconnected it assumed I did the miles instantaneously.  I'm sure I'm not the only one having that experience.

I'd trade that on slabs, for safety, and overall speed, with no delays from accidents.

If someone could deliver an accident free environment, I'd trade top end for overall, when the goal is distance.

Now, I rarely use slabs, try to avoid, because IF there is an accident (rare, ok, don't care BTDT and sat forever)

then you're almost always DITW.

If I set cruise, or tractor beam, for speed limit of 70, and could basically hands free to exit, sign me up.

YMMV

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2019 at 2:08 PM, Calvin (no socks) said:

A simple tin foil hat for the GPS antenna will eliminate BIG BROTHER.  DAMHIK

I'm with Calvin and if it comes to America I am buying stock in Reynolds Wrap cuz I don't think we are the only geniuses with this idea!

There are obvious problems, like having a serious medical condition with a passenger and trying to reach a treatment facility.  Trying to evade/loose a road rage person (i've done that).  Or just having to take a dump real bad and proceeding swiftly to the nearest poo recycling center.  Restricting speeds in school zones would be a good feature me thinks.  

From the ETSC announcement:  "The new rules include requirements for new technologies, such as Automated Emergency Braking which can detect pedestrians and cyclists, as well as overridable Intelligent Speed Assistance, to be fitted as standard for the first time." 

So you will be able to exceed the limit, but it will require a deliberate (and recorded) choice.   The new rules do not apply to motorcycles (yet).