IGNORED

Mystery plug.

Andre1150

Pulled the transmission, after lifting up the tail on my 2004 1150RT, and I'm getting it ask back together when this rolls out onto the floor. What in the darn heck did I miss?  Scoured the bmw fiche, I've been in this machine more often than I can count, and I'm stumped. Dare I say.. help?

It's rubber, didn't fit the timing window, has a little nub on it that attaches somewhere, was dry so not exposed to oil, or gas, and didn't seem like it was from the airbox drain. Sigh.

IMG_20190322_202312.jpg

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 12:37 AM, Andre1150 said:

Pulled the transmission, after lifting up the tail on my 2004 1150RT, and I'm getting it ask back together when this rolls out onto the floor. What in the darn heck did I miss?  Scoured the bmw fiche, I've been in this machine more often than I can count, and I'm stumped. Dare I say.. help?

It's rubber, didn't fit the timing window, has a little nub on it that attaches somewhere, was dry so not exposed to oil, or gas, and didn't seem like it was from the airbox drain. Sigh.

Morning Andre1150

We need that plug/cap next to a scale of some sort so we can judge size.

At first glance it looks something like a helmet communication plug cap but those usually have a longer tail on them. 

Without knowing size it is difficult but that little tit on the side of plugs usually points to it plugging into a bolt or screw hole next to a plugged large hole. (possibly a pre-assembly final drive speed sensor hole plug) that is removed at vehicle assembly.

A number of things come to the assembly line with caps or plugs (to keep dirt, junk, & even mice out) so more than likely that cap is a leftover from removal during assembly line install.

If the plug fits into about a 3/4" hole, I think it could be a cover for a cigarette lighter socket. The "nub" could be the remains of a broken off retaining strap.

image.png.86b69503a0f070c10db032bbda162181.png

Kinda looks like the cover for the diagnostic harness under the back seat near the rear cowl.  Mine fell out when I pulled my tool roll out from the cowl over the tail light.

3 minutes ago, AndyS said:

B0006378.png?v=07242017

65_2083 - HELMET CONNECTION SOCKET

01  65 61 2 317 566  HELMET CONNECTION SOCKET 0.26  1  

Morning Andy

That is the one that I was referring to above but as can be seen it has a long retention tail on it.

ahah!! Yes. that's the plug cap.  I think it fell off when I raised the tail. Thank you everyone for chasing this down.