IGNORED

R1100 neutral/gear indicator switch O ring?

jelarner

I replaced my neutral switch. Is there a O ring or gasket that goes between the neutral switch and gear switch? It appears to me that one is necessary . If so I lost mine. I can not find it in the fiche. If it is a O ring does anyone know a part number or size? Thanks for any help

13 hours ago, jelarner said:

I replaced my neutral switch. Is there a O ring or gasket that goes between the neutral switch and gear switch? It appears to me that one is necessary . If so I lost mine. I can not find it in the fiche. If it is a O ring does anyone know a part number or size? Thanks for any help

Morning jelarner

There is an "O" ring between the idle switch (neutral switch) & transmission case  but nothing for the joint between the idle switch & the gear position switch.

Thanks dirt rider, my problem is I have a oil leak upon assembly.  I had the large O ring (approx. 1 in. diameter) installed correctly . Now it appears to me that the oil is free to run along  the  actuating shaft to the gear selector switch and leak out between the two switches. Looking at the shaft I see the ball bearing so oil is free to go out into the switches is it not?

I had bike apart for a while so maybe I am making a mistake here. If oil is free to run out along shaft what is to seal joint between the two switches?

Jerry

53 minutes ago, jelarner said:

Thanks dirt rider, my problem is I have a oil leak upon assembly.  I had the large O ring (approx. 1 in. diameter) installed correctly . Now it appears to me that the oil is free to run along  the  actuating shaft to the gear selector switch and leak out between the two switches. Looking at the shaft I see the ball bearing so oil is free to go out into the switches is it not?

I had bike apart for a while so maybe I am making a mistake here. If oil is free to run out along shaft what is to seal joint between the two switches?

Jerry

Morning Jerry

The only real gear oil sealing is the inner front seal in the idle switch (neutral switch)  "idle switch shifter shaft  seal"   and the "O" ring for sealing the OD of the idle switch to trans case.  

It sounds like the front idle switch seal is leaking if the gear oil is leaking out along the shifter shaft then through the switches.

To look parts up you need to  look for idle switch not neutral switch. (it's in the switch section of the parts book, not in the transmission section)

A1DtYLN.jpg

Many thanks dirt rider. I bought a new old stock neutral switch from someone on the internet. I just compared it with my old one and found out that that the new one came without the shifter shaft seal. So problem solved.  Now I am wondering if the switches are ruined, I think I will give them a cleaning with contact cleaner. Next time I will examine new parts more closely. This caused me a lot of grief as I had bike all back together after spline lube and clutch replacement Thanks

Jerry

2 minutes ago, jelarner said:

Many thanks dirt rider. I bought a new old stock neutral switch from someone on the internet. I just compared it with my old one and found out that that the new one came without the shifter shaft seal. So problem solved.  Now I am wondering if the switches are ruined, I think I will give them a cleaning with contact cleaner. Next time I will examine new parts more closely. This caused me a lot of grief as I had bike all back together after spline lube and clutch replacement Thanks

Jerry

Afternoon Jerry

You should be able to take the shift position switch apart (at least you can on the 1150 switch, I'm not sure on the 1100) then clean it out, re-grease it with switch contact grease, then re-assemble (be careful as there are some small springs inside that tend to pop out.

On the idle switch, the housing should not have any problems but the little button switch could be an issue as (if) you clean (flush) it out inside  it will probably fail in the future due to lack of lube & I don't believe that you can take that little button switch apart.  

OK many thanks. What would we do without you? I am going to attempt to clean switches. Replacement is expensive, Old neutral switch is now apart I think the micro switch inside is probably available from Newark Electronics.

Jerry