IGNORED

U - Shaped fuel hose from filter?

Spokane2303

Spokane2303

Is the fuel in the U shaped hose from the fuel filter on a R1150RT under high or normal pressure?

Just curious as I'm getting parted up to replace and haven't found a good fuel flow diagram yet.

That hose is under HIGH pressure. Its a pricey part but you want to get the BMW part as it is a fuel line that is made to be submerged in fuel.So bottom line go to the dealer and buy the one for your bike and you be good for years to come.Also use the proper hose clamps.

The clamps that are on the fuel pump are a pain to get off unless you have the right tool.

It's under really high pressure from the fuel pump. I was on a long ride when it split, which that hose tends to do when you're miles and miles from home. I replaced mine with fuel line hose from Autozone, bent to shape and some additional fuel line clamps and I moved my fuel filter outside the tank so I'd have easier access in the future. Mind you, this was while I was on a long ride, with limited tools.  however, with a real tubing bender, you can get the curve much cleaner.

20150406_200540.jpg

20150406_202240.jpg

20150406_215314.jpg

20150407_000038.jpg

Spokane2303

Great idea!

Thanks for the photos. 

Where red did you find/buy the steel u-bend?  Did you just cut to length or did you put a flare/bump on the ends for the hoses to hold against?

1 hour ago, Spokane2303 said:

Any idea how high a pressure?

New (old) bike, lots of dumb questions!

Thanks!

Afternoon  Spokane2303

Normally they run around 45-55 psi give or take BUT,  if the fuel system somehow  gets deadheaded it can go upwards of 60 psi.

roger 04 rt
15 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon  Spokane2303

Normally they run around 45-55 psi give or take BUT,  if the fuel system somehow  gets deadheaded it can go upwards of 60 psi.

I seem to remember seeing 100 psi with on QD opened up.

I just put the boneyard aftermarket kit on my 04 rt.  It has the hard plastic tubing and the flexible hard plastic u hose.  Worked fine and no clearance issues with the float.  It really helps to heat the plastic tube when you try to slide it over the pipes.  Pretty tight.  

The pump is smaller and I don't like the electrical connections.  Seemed very loose and flimsy.  I actually soldered up the + terminal because it was so thin.  I also don't feel like the filter bag design is very robust.  Seems like it will just fall off.  But the price was right.

Another thing to be very concerned about are the connections, rubber hose to the steel tube.  The "barbs" on the steel tubing are not very pronounced and unless you have the clamps JUST RIGHT, they are likely to pop off. AMHIK.  That will leave you "dead in the water" with the only remedy to take the tank back off and re-do the connections about 20 miles from home!!

I'd recommend the Oetiker clamps, available on Amazon in a kit and maybe BBY.  Just be sure to get the correct size for the tubing, steel and rubber.  The screw type miniature hose clamps will mess you up (is it tight enough or too tight??)  Also, only use SS clamps as the "bright" or plated steel clamps will corrode in the ethanol.  The same "45-55" psi that's trying to split the hose is also trying to push the connections apart.

You can use the very expensive fuel injection rated hose (rated for fuel exposure/submersion inside and outside, got mine a NAPA) for the internal hoses but you will need to use a long coil spring inside the "U" bend to keep it from kinking or collapsing.  

On 3/20/2019 at 12:48 PM, Spokane2303 said:

Where red did you find/buy the steel u-bend?  Did you just cut to length or did you put a flare/bump on the ends for the hoses to hold against?

I just used steel fuel hose from an auto parts shop. Use a tubing bender to bend it, or in my case I didn't have parts or a bender, so I used a section of speedometer cable. It fit quite well inside and kept the tube from kinking. If you're at home near a shop, I recommend the bender.