IGNORED

BMW R1100RSL dual exhaust

Automag

So, I bought a ‘95 RSL. I’ve always thought they were a great looking bike, and I liked the way it rode. It had under 30k miles, and ran nicely. It has dual exhausts... other than the visual symmetry of the duals on a twin, I’m seeing (and hearing) few advantages. Am I missing something, or was this an answer to a question no one asked?

5 hours ago, Automag said:

So, I bought a ‘95 RSL. I’ve always thought they were a great looking bike, and I liked the way it rode. It had under 30k miles, and ran nicely. It has dual exhausts... other than the visual symmetry of the duals on a twin, I’m seeing (and hearing) few advantages. Am I missing something, or was this an answer to a question no one asked?

Morning Automag

It is basically "an answer to a question no one usually asks", no power gain & more than likely a slight power loss as well as a tuning issue due to exhaust reversion concerns.

Having dual isolate pipes means the single o2 sensor will only read off of one cylinder so that is a problem as the Motronic can only process (1) o2 sensor input.  So if using independent pipes it really should have the o2 sensor input eliminated. (assuming a US motorcycle)

Unless very low pipes with small or limited (re loud)  mufflers then dual exhausts probably preclude using side panniers.

If you like the looks & it runs OK at light throttle then no big problems (but probably no performance gain & more than likely some performance loss, especially at lower throttle openings).

The (remote)  exhaust sound is probably not the best as  the BMW boxer is a 360° firing opposed twin & those have terrible firing pulses to make sound decent without a significant camshaft improvement & higher compression. On the BMW 360° boxer engine, you can easily make them loud, but it is 'very difficult' to make them sound pleasing  (especially at a distance)

There is a reason that you see very few BMW (2) cylinder boxers with aftermarket exhausts &  see even fewer with any sort of dual pipe conversions.  Now if it had a 90° engine configuration that would be a different story.

A friend had a set. It came with a performance chip. After 50+ years of two mufflers on airheads it looked right for the new oilhead, just wasn't worth the price I guess.

Dirtrider and Jerry Duke-

Thank you. The bike does actually go to a single pipe off the headers with an O2 sensor, and then Ys to a separate cans. The luggage does fortunately fit. I’d just never seen another set like this on an RS/RSL. I didn’t  think there was any advantage, so I guess someone just wanted to be different (though there is possibly a weight gain). Thank you again.

Auto

3 minutes ago, Automag said:

Thank you. The bike does actually go to a single pipe off the headers with an O2 sensor, and then Ys to a separate cans. The luggage does fortunately fit. I’d just never seen another set like this on an RS/RSL. I didn’t  think there was any advantage, so I guess someone just wanted to be different (though there is possibly a weight gain). Thank you again.

Auto

Afternoon Auto

With it having a Y pipe then that sounds like a decent system.

I would like to see what it looks like it on the bike, can you post a picture? 

B69627FB-AA4C-4FB5-B2E3-42F3C678403F.jpeg

F3BF1495-C96F-4EAF-8AD1-950B86E243BB.jpeg

5AC044B2-1204-4FFA-BD2E-DB3CC734D85F.jpeg

24 minutes ago, Automag said:

Evening Auto

Pretty good looking system, seems to fit the look of the bike nicely.

Thank you. It does appear to be well built- though it’s not labeled by the maker...makes me wonder if it might be one of the RB exhausts, or the copy version of the RB that someone supposedly made for a bit...dunno.

Jerry 

Thank you. I’ve been puzzled, as it is not labeled. I know RB originally built some stuff for Luftmeister...and this looks nicely made. Thank you again.

Mr. Behn at RB  responded to my query (I’d sent him an email with a photo). This exhaust is an RB exhaust, built for Luftmeister back in the day. Thank you all for the pointers. This board is populated by an amazing group of people.

• 4 weeks later...

Can you describe the sound and volume? I have a staintune on my R11S and love the noise. I wouldn't mind the luftmeister on eBay but don't want it to sound like a ducati with a race muffler.

• 1 month later...

Kcteun,

Apologies for for not replying earlier. The bike with the duals is loud. Not horrible at speed, but quite noticeable in town. It is a bit throaty, but no one is going to mistake it for a Duc, or a Harley, for that matter. I don’t think I would have done it, had they not been on the bike when I bought it.