IGNORED

What a way to spend a beautiful Saturday

Rougarou

Not!!

Since we put the Rottweiler down, my financial and home estate manager was after me to get a camera system for the house.  I told her, "you know, this is for an after event",....she says that's ok, I'm good with that.  So, I picked up one of these Lorex systems for $679.  Eight cameras, color night vision, but only 15fps.  So far, have all the cameras mounted and that sucked donkey balls.  Getting to the soffits to pull wire was a miserable event, little Chinese acrobats could have easily slithered through this maze of my attic.  My attic is trussed and the trusses are 16-18 inches apart, on top of that, it's a low pitch roof.  After the first squeeze and low-crawl getting to the soffit, I made me an extension hook with an old piece of quarter round and I bent an allen wrench to a tighter hook.  Worked like a charm to grab and pull.

Tomorrow, I'll be back in the attic to drill and drop the lines in the wall I want to locate everything to, I also have to run some electrical for power and network line for remoting in.  My plan is to recess an operations center and use some drawer slides to make me a picture frame to conceal it all......it looks good in my head.  Should be interesting, so far, no tools have been thrown yet.

image.png.be074575258d5d11fbf4f03c9b0a6ea2.png

• Like 1
John Ranalletta

Will you port forward the Lorex for remote viewing on your smartphone?  If so, ipcamtalk.com is a great resource.

I use Blue Iris camera server software running on an old laptop and record motion videos to my ftp server on the web.  BI and most systems have a smartphone app for remote viewing, alerts and control.

My cams are old.  If I had it do over again, likely, I'd install Netgear's Arlo cameras if they still have free net storage.

image.thumb.png.5024a1713b1ce5879bf8def449841ca9.png

Roughed in

10 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

Will you port forward the Lorex for remote viewing on your smartphone?  If so, ipcamtalk.com is a great resource.

I use Blue Iris camera server software running on an old laptop and record motion videos to my ftp server on the web.  BI and most systems have a smartphone app for remote viewing, alerts and control.

My cams are old.  If I had it do over again, likely, I'd install Netgear's Arlo cameras if they still have free net storage.

image.thumb.png.5024a1713b1ce5879bf8def449841ca9.png

No need to forward the ports I’m viewing through the Lorex client app

D1813524-F0E3-43C7-8971-AA2C59A0B1D2.jpeg

C5634AAE-4661-43EE-981E-4DB86A48908E.jpeg

Bill_Walker
10 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

If I had it do over again, likely, I'd install Netgear's Arlo cameras if they still have free net storage.

I've got an Arlo camera for my front door.  Chosen partly because I wanted to get a camera in service ASAP for a particular situation (which ended up not happening).  I'm pretty happy with it, and installation was certainly easy, but it is a bit of a pain to have to haul out the ladder and climb up there to change the batteries every couple of months.  I don't know whether storage is still free if you start now, but it's still free for me, and I installed mine almost 3 years ago.  One catch with that, of course, is that it depends on you having internet access, so even with UPSs on your network gear, it's likely no good during a power outage (i.e., as far as I know, there's no local storage in the Arlo base station, and no way to access it if there was.  It all goes through the cloud server).

• Like 1
John Ranalletta

My nephew has the older Arlo cams, AC powered.  He coated them with a Goop product to make them weatherproof.  I was watching when the last hurricane knock one off its mounting.

image.thumb.png.e22774cdf0653454bd95d84d4d343dd8.png

• Like 1
John Ranalletta

Consider yourself lucky.  Had my garage cleaned out (bicycles, tools, etc.) a few years ago.    They even took my wife's coin purse from her car.

My nephew lives on a canal in Naples. Thieves float the canals and night to steal fishing gear, lower units and navigation gear from the boats.

3 hours ago, Bud said:

We all live in different worlds.

Where I live I've never felt the need for security camera's. 

We don't need them either. 

Talking to my neighbor shortly after moving in, he stated "I've never so much as had a piece of paper stolen".  The crime rate is extremely low in this county, the population of the county is 48k, the town is 1500.  We'll leave the house for the day, garage door wide open, all three bikes in the garage with the keys in them and you can walk right in the unlocked door to the house.  My truck, I'm at work now, trucks in the driveway, key's in the cup holder......so ya, I'd say we don't need them.  Will stuff get stolen, it's possible, but as far as I can tell, where I live, not likely.

We don't need many things, but want,.....that's a different story altogether.

Is your range on property? The every now and again pop pop pop goes a long way in deterring any would be sticky fingers.  :cuz: 

20 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Is your range on property? The every now and again pop pop pop goes a long way in deterring any would be sticky fingers.  :cuz: 

I love the smell of Napalm in the morning,......it smells like,.....victory,....anyway, this is an open carry state, beautiful thing to behold (legislation to make concealed carry non-permit is making its rounds). 

Our first Saturday after moving out here from a stinkin' subdivision, I went outside around 0800 or so, it's not hunting season, and not far in the distance, I could hear the distinct sound of some 5.56's being fired, it's the sound of freedom.

As for me, I've got a 25m, 15m and 7m mark off the back yard,......in the future, I plan on a 100m lane that will zip right past the back fence of the pool,.....I'll have to put a range flag out to ensure that the wife doesn't mistakenly go out there while I'm expending $0.18 at a time ;)

• Like 1

We had some break ins around our neighborhood so Mrs. Sonor suggested we get a camera system.  I wanted one that would notify me via my phone and not pay for a service.  I also did not want to string wires so we picked up the Arlo 2 system and it works great.  Granted it does not have six cameras but the ones it does have work wonderfully.  We also did not purchase the "extra space and features" so there is no monthly bill.  A friend purchased his cameras from Amazon which do not need a base station like the Arlo system but they also do not have a schedule feature that you program to only record/notify when you are away from the house.  Overall, Arlo is working for us.

Sorry to hear about the pain of your install, Living The Dream.

27 minutes ago, Sonor said:

We had some break ins around our neighborhood so Mrs. Sonor suggested we get a camera system.  I wanted one that would notify me via my phone and not pay for a service.  I also did not want to string wires so we picked up the Arlo 2 system and it works great.  Granted it does not have six cameras but the ones it does have work wonderfully.  We also did not purchase the "extra space and features" so there is no monthly bill.  A friend purchased his cameras from Amazon which do not need a base station like the Arlo system but they also do not have a schedule feature that you program to only record/notify when you are away from the house.  Overall, Arlo is working for us.

Sorry to hear about the pain of your install, Living The Dream.

Ya, this system doesn't require a service and I can schedule notifications/motion monitoring all piped into the phone,.....which is kinda useless while I'm at work (no outside electronic devices in my office), may set up the email notification but really not concerned. 

There's eight cameras that have a full 360 of the home.  I'm still fine tuning the motion sensitivities. 

Good thing is that once all is set, I don't have to climb a ladder for a battery exchange, they're all PoE.

So how is picture quality on these systems.  I've not seen images on a home unit.  The images I do see are the ones shown on the news of somebody leaving a store/warehouse after having robbed the place.  The images on TV look pretty useless to me.  On a jury, I'd be hesitant to convict based on image quality I've seen so far.

Bill_Walker
On 3/19/2019 at 6:56 AM, Bud said:

Where I live I've never felt the need for security camera's. 

I never did, until I got phone call to let me know that somebody had used my credit card to order a $3500 DJ system and was actually having it shipped to my house!  I canceled the order, but wanted a camera in case the perp showed up looking for it.  Now that I've got it, I like it.  I know what time packages were left at the door, and can get notified when it happens.  The delivery folks often don't bother to knock or ring the bell.  Still no crime.

On 3/20/2019 at 6:33 PM, Red said:

So how is picture quality on these systems.  I've not seen images on a home unit.  The images I do see are the ones shown on the news of somebody leaving a store/warehouse after having robbed the place.  The images on TV look pretty useless to me.  On a jury, I'd be hesitant to convict based on image quality I've seen so far.

I’d say pretty good, it’s 4K 5mp cameras

image.jpg

See, now with a lesser camera system and at the right time of day, you might be yelling "grab the rifle, there's four intruders on the property!" :D Man, I know a little someone that would love that side yard! :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, TEWKS said:

See, now with a lesser camera system and at the right time of day, you might be yelling "grab the rifle, there's four intruders on the property!" :D Man, I know a little someone that would love that side yard! :thumbsup:

The cameras have color night vision, which is quite nice too.

Total of about four acres of pasture and what you see is the smaller pasture area.  The horses aren't ours, but it is our land, the horse people lost the lease on their other property so they asked if they could lease our pastures.   We told them that "we don't know nuthin 'bout birthin' no babies", so luckily, we don't have any responsibilities about the horses.  They'll come over and saddle one up for the grandson to trot him around on when we ask.  I was in the field the other day working on a drainage issue when the brown one came behind me and put her head on my shoulder.  The brown one will have to stay if the horse people decide on another property  ;)  You don't see it, but just beyond the far fence line is another two acres that we bought last April for my oldest daughter and her husband......which brings our little estate to about 7 acres total.

• Like 1
Bill_Walker
2 hours ago, Living the Dream said:

I was in the field the other day working on a drainage issue when the brown one came behind me and put her head on my shoulder. 

We used to breed horses.  Sometimes I'd be fixing the fence or the waterer in the paddock where we kept four yearlings, and I'd end up with four noses over my shoulders!  It was amusing, but not exactly helpful.