IGNORED

Radio Removal? (to remove gas tank)

rhetoric

R1150RT with the radio on the side and I've removed the three outer bolts and the little plastic nut on the inside of the radio housing but the radio won't budge.  Looks like it's still stuck where the inner nut/bolt mounts, but the nuts gone and I can't figure out why the whole carnfounded thing won't just lift off.  Sigh.  i'm trying to replace my gas line hoses, filters, pump, etc.  I don't want to break anything else!  Thanks for the help.

For the record... those crappy plastic quick connects that you've heard are so fragile?  You heard right.  Dang.

Nevermind.  As per usual, I answer my own questions right after I ask them.  But for future radio removers... don't forget the one star head bolt behind the radio (the head faces the front).  Now to unfasten the stupid tank electrical plug.

I did this same thing last year but luckily, someone already swapped out the plastic connectors. I left the radio out and used the power source to put an accessory plug in the compartment instead. Now I have a lockable glovebox and a place to charge my phone even away from the bike. I find that I can also sneak the charging wires out of the box and under the fairing so I don't have the long trailing wire from the ports on the left side of the bike. 

3 hours ago, rhetoric said:

Nevermind.  As per usual, I answer my own questions right after I ask them.  But for future radio removers... don't forget the one star head bolt behind the radio (the head faces the front).  Now to unfasten the stupid tank electrical plug.

Yeah, I took the gas tank off my '03 R1150RT for the first time back in the Winter. It took me a half hour of tugging on the radio box before I found that screw. The Clymer book wasn't much help with it.

Sorry to hear about the plastic disconnects. When mine went on my first 1150RT, I used the opportunity to fix the fuel lines inside the tank (the sharp bend one inside the tank split and left me stranded on the side of the road) and the mod to move the fuel filter outside the tank, so I replaced everything with steel tube using a tube bender for the tubes on the inside, and same thing on the outside. There's a thread for that mod if you're interested, I'll look it up and post if you want.

• Like 1