IGNORED

A Honda? Really

Bud

Given the decent success of the Spyder, I think Honda would be stupid to not delve into the 3 wheel market.  Personally, I'd rather have a Goldwing than a Spyder.

• Like 1
Bill_Walker

I don't think "How can we make the Gold Wing even more carlike?" was a question anybody wanted the answer to. 

• Thanks 2
42 minutes ago, Bill_Walker said:

I don't think "How can we make the Gold Wing even more carlike?" was a question anybody wanted the answer to. 

But it certainly seems to be where the "Wingers" are headed.   We attend Americade every year in Lake George and each year there are more and more trikes and  CanAms.   Heck the Wingers are getting older than us Beemers! 

fourteenfour
On 3/15/2019 at 8:39 PM, Bill_Walker said:

I am currently looking at a Gold Wing DCT (not the tour version) to be my next motorcycle.

I use the car like joke about the K1600, an inline six in a BMW belongs on a five series, not a motorcycle.

I'm glad Honda is getting with the program. "When the time comes" - these lean - what's not to like?

Given the number of triked Wings I see for sale on Craigslist, that doesn't seem like a bad idea for Honda to market something already 'pre-triked'.  Lots of older riders with wobbly balance and bad knees, but have money burning a hole in their pockets.

I like the lean aspect of it but, if she can't stand up straight and hold that position on her own at a stoplight, Honda's missing out on a huge audience IMO. :old:

6 hours ago, JamesW said:

I think Honda copied Yamaha with this contraption.  

Piaggio were first on the scene.

I agree, Pat. Needs to stand on its own when stationary. 

I'm glad these types of bikes are being developed. Having the ability to ride and lean in one's advancing/declining years is attractive. The demographics are aging for motorcyclists, so obviously the manufacturer's see this as a way keep its core customer in the market.

• Like 1

I'm glad to see some innovation as well.  The wife and I rode 2 up for 30 years.  Dyanne has tried to learn to ride but it just didn't work out for her.  Then she bought the Spyder and in two years has ridden 18000 miles.  I really don't like to ride the damn thing but it's a viable option when 2 wheels wont work.  Not to mention I now have two cases to pack my junk in when we travel! 

• Like 3

Maybe the two front tires will wear out at the same time as the rear?  Is that a plus?  I can't even look at the thing.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 7:22 PM, RTinNC said:

Heck the Wingers are getting older than us Beemers! 

They are almost as old as the Guzzisti.

• 3 weeks later...
MariettaMark

That's very interesting. I think there is some kind of three wheeler in my future but for the moment two wheels is still working.

This is not a trike (or reverse trike, if you prefer), it's a motorcycle with 2 front wheels. It leans into (not away from) a turn. You countersteer it like a motorcycle, instead of direct-steering like a trike/Spyder/sidecar.

Yes, having it stand on its own at a light, like the Piaggio MP3 does/did, would certainly be desirable. No need for a centerstand or a sidestand, either. Just think how much better it will handle without carrying those extra 3 lb!

OT: I think vehicle licensing should be more fine-grained than just "car" or "motorcycle". A sidecar rig handles differently than a trike which handles differently than a motorcycle, yet a motorcycle license allows you to operate any of them.

On 3/21/2019 at 9:46 PM, roadscholar said:

This one looks interesting.

Now your talking.  Back it in!

Piaggio's legal department has to be looking at all this. The motorcycle industry has a long history of aping each other so this was to be expected.  It will be interesting to see how the Yamaha Niken, the Honda Tri-wing? and others go after this segment. Can't wait to see the KTM Triple Duke!

Purists may hate this newfangled heresy, but like the tag line says,  If the good old days were so damn good...

I've ridden the Piaggio MP 3 which is smaller but has a similar design. The bike is really planted in the turns because when one front wheel is off the ground after a bump, the other is likely solidly  on the ground in the ground so the bike maintains its line of travel. A handlebar switch locked the wheels when stopped and the automatically unlock once the bike is underway. No need to flat foot the bike. Unfortunately I always thought the plastic front looked like a lawn tractor. 

The Honda design has lots of sharp edges everywhere. Seems like new bike and car designs are headed that way. Look at the front fenders.  Look at the new RT. 

I  look forward to seeing one in-the-flesh, so to speak. 

Best Miguel 

The Metropolitan Police (London) purchased a significant number of these for use in the heart of the city. They are not Traffic motorcycles, a role still filled by BMW R1200RT's, but inner city transport for "ordinary" police officers.

However, I am assured, particularly on a day with wet, greasy roads, they are the quickest thing imaginable across town. They leave bigger bikes behind, until the roads open up & then power wins. 

Met Piaggio.jpg

Well looking at the Goldwing and the Niken I have mixed thoughts/emotions.  While yes, age will catch up to my body and I may need to purchase one of these.  However, at the moment I am stuck between two thoughts: if I were to get one, my wife might want to ride along and If I were to get one my wife might want to ride along.  Yes, the same thought - two different emotions.

lol..Why not add a forth wheel and, let's see, maybe call it a car?  And hey, then maybe add doors and windows all around and another innovation called heat/AC then you've really got something to write home about.

Must admit I'm thinking along these lines.  A trike??  Not in this lifetime!

4 hours ago, JamesW said:

Must admit I'm thinking along these lines.  A trike??  Not in this lifetime!

I for sure will stay with a two wheel motorcycle until I can't manage it, which might be never if I should be in the condition that Gloria Tramontin is at 93(Good For Her thread).  I do like the expansion of these leaning reverse trike scooters, and now motorcycles, because it provides another option to keep me on a motorcycle as I age and my physicals skills inevitably diminish.

I'm thinking the never say never phrase applies to my thoughts about a three wheeler in my future.  I'll ride my RT until I can't.  At that point one has to also ask whether you still have the skills, abilities, physical function of eyes, hearing, reaction speed to be on any motorcycle no matter how many wheels it has.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2019 at 11:21 PM, fatbob said:

They are almost as old as the Guzzisti.

My son who is 48 just bought a 2017 Moto Guzzi Stone. :classic_biggrin:

Havasu Dave

You mean what are we coming to. We are getting old. Here in Havasu is a dense collection of trike riders. Hondas, Harleys, CanAms, etc.  Guys getting too unfirm to manage the kickstand, physics, and gotta have someplace to park the ball and chain. I see the tilt effect obviously but have reservations with tracking two front tires: seems they would have to deaden the front end from all that bouncing rubber. First ride report?

5 hours ago, Havasu Dave said:

I see the tilt effect obviously but have reservations with tracking two front tires: seems they would have to deaden the front end from all that bouncing rubber.

Read a first ride report of the Yamaha Niken and the word was the front end is well planted and confidence inspiring.