IGNORED

Submersible Fuel Tank Hoses

dave_a

Could someone validate the  ID diameter & length hose I need to replace inside the fuel tank, please?

It appears to be 1 meter of this 5x10mm. Will that do both loops?

And there is no aftermarket source, only BMW OE parts?

Thanks in advance!

Dave_a

1999 R1100R

image.png.b70c3bbb6d797c5ada57794ac33c718f.pngimage.png.7af501f30f30142e69b4091d018ae194.png 

None of this NAPA hose below will work, Correct?

image.png.0b6fd5467cf60897d17f8fd8aef58b7f.png

39 minutes ago, dave_a said:

Could someone validate the  ID diameter & length hose I need to replace inside the fuel tank, please?

It appears to be 1 meter of this 5x10mm. Will that do both loops?

And there is no aftermarket source, only BMW OE parts?

Thanks in advance!

Dave_a

1999 R1100R

image.png.b70c3bbb6d797c5ada57794ac33c718f.png 

None of this NAPA hose below will work, Correct?

Afternoon Dave 

I can't give you exact lengths but 1 meter WON'T be enough to get both hoses out of it.  (if it is important to you let me know &  I will try to dig around in my shop to see if I have any left-over remnants  to measure).   

As far as aftermarket sourced hose that will work?-- yes & no.  There are some that fill fit & kind of fall within the internal/external fuel resistant parameters but they come with some extra baggage (some harden with fuel submersion & time).  Some of the Tygon offerings are rated for submersion use & will fit but my experience in using Tygon submersible is that it stiffens up with long term exposure to alcohol containing fuels.   

At one time (long while back)  I did try to source some direct replacements but the cost was higher than the BMW furnished hose.  

I have also kind of looked at that 1/4" hose you have pictured but at 1/4" (6.35mm) it is slightly large to fit properly & it is bulkier so would be more difficult to get the pump pass-through put back on properly without the stiffer bulkier hoses interfering with the low fuel float. (it might very well work but it is such a pain to go back onto the tank that I REALLY want a once-and-done deal so just use the proper hose to begin with.   (basically a buy-once cry-once type of deal)

Thanks for the response DR. The critical info is that I will need 2 meters to do the job since its sold in that increment.  Crazy rubber hose price!

But if you have time, and could measure the total length of the two pieces I would appreciate it. Length & ID if not too much trouble. Thank you. 

I think I saw one dealer selling it by the inch. My screen captures were from Max-bmw. But IIRC, there was one dealer who had a couple hose options which started my uncertainty as to what ID and length was right.

26 minutes ago, dave_a said:

Thanks for the response DR. The critical info is that I will need 2 meters to do the job since its sold in that increment.  Crazy rubber hose price!

But if you have time, and could measure the total length of the two pieces I would appreciate it. Length & ID if not too much trouble. Thank you. 

I think I saw one dealer selling it by the inch. My screen captures were from Max-bmw. But IIRC, there was one dealer who had a couple hose options which started my uncertainty as to what ID and length was right.

Evening Dave

I don't have any old (OEM) hoses, that  I'm pretty sure of , I was referring to having the cut-off ends of the BMW 1 meter hoses.

We would have to then subtract the cut-off end from the 1 meter length (assuming the hose actually was exactly 1 meter).

I did have a couple of ends floating around my shop last fall but I used a piece of one on a different project so the other one is hopefully around somewhere. 

The common sense thing to keep in mind is (IF) there  was a cheaper 'suitable' substitute hose available then Beemer Boneyard would probably carry it as I'm fairly confident that the first call a rider makes about buying those hoses is to their dealer, then once they get the price & the (2 ea) requirement)  the next call they make is to Beemer Boneyard. So, my guess is that Beemer Boneyard gets a lot of calls looking for those hoses. (maybe they do sell them  by now but they never used to anyhow)

Added: If you feel like doing some deep digging I (think) that      roger 04 rt      posted some lengths when he did those hoses on his 2004 1150RT, it should be in the archives here somewhere.

57 minutes ago, ltljohn said:

Beemerboneyard has the hoses  Fuel hoses link

Evening ltljohn

Are you sure, Dave is looking of the in-tank vent & drain hoses and that Beemer Boneyard site that  you linked to specifically states  "NOT meant to replace the smaller diameter longer vent lines inside the tank"

Dave is looking for the 'smaller diameter longer vent lines inside the tank',  not the pump pressure hoses shown.

33 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Evening ltljohn

Are you sure, Dave is looking of the in-tank vent & drain hoses and that Beemer Boneyard site that  you linked to specifically states  "NOT meant to replace the smaller diameter longer vent lines inside the tank"

Dave is looking for the 'smaller diameter longer vent lines inside the tank',  not the pump pressure hoses shown.

OOPS did not pay close attention.

roger 04 rt

I was able on my RT to get 1 meter of hose to work for both vent and drain lines.

I cut the 1 meter in half and attached both hoses at the top and then pointed the anti-spill valve toward the bottom of the tank.

When everything else was done, I then attached the hoses to the pass through plate by reaching in through the gap between the plate and tank.

Then I pulled the filler end back and attached it. There was enough slack that I felt comfortable with the result.

You need to verify that you can make 0.5 meters work before cutting, otherwise you’ve wasted 1 meter of hose. 

Thanks Roger, that's great info. My R has a 5.5 gal. tank vs 6.7 on an RT. Guessing that the length of hose might be bit less.

These two hoses - if they rupture will "just" dump fuel, right? The pump & filter hoses if ruptured will stop the bike immediately? Am I correct in those assumptions?

Thanks again.

i'm in the uk and apparently my inside tank vent hose has cracked or perished. from my own research i found that the vent and tank filler neck hoses are 5mm R10 RATED [must be r10 rated as they are submerged in petrol] and 5mm r10 hose is very hard to get and i bought 1m 5mm x10mm 1 meter length for £30 from motorworks in the uk.

The fuel line is 8mm also R10 rated but is easier to get as it's far more common and i bought a 1m length for £10 from demon tweeks. there is also a tiny u bend which motorworks sells for £30 [pump to filter] and there is a concertina type hose for around £15 but only seems to be available in usa.

The external hoses are lower spec so are cheaper, i'm going to put 6mm i.d. on the breather vents and clamp them down and 8mm fuel injection hose on the outside.

if you look at a photo of a removed pump/ filter assembly you don't need a lot on the inside.

5mm submersible hose is available from motorworks for £30 [5mm id/ 10mm od] and £25 [5mm id/8mm od] they do 2 types of 8mm od, one with markings on and one plain.

i went for the 10mm because it's probably easier to clamp down.

Lincoln_Faller

Euro Motoelectrics offers a four-foot length of 5 x 10 mm submersible hose (about 1.21 meters), which it says is enough to do both lines on one bike.  This is currently priced at $56.99.  No need, then, to spend almost twice that much buying 2 one-meter pieces at a dealer to be sure to have enough

https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/product-p/fp-venthose737.htm

No connection on my part to this company except as a previous, satisfied customer.

all best, Lincoln

20 minutes ago, Lincoln_Faller said:

Euro Motoelectrics offers a four-foot length of 5 x 10 mm submersible hose (about 1.21 meters), which it says is enough to do both lines on one bike.  This is currently priced at $56.99.  No need, then, to spend almost twice that much buying 2 one-meter pieces at a dealer to be sure to have enough

https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/product-p/fp-venthose737.htm

No connection on my part to this company except as a previous, satisfied customer.

all best, Lincoln

Afternoon  Lincoln

If that hose truly has an SAE 30R10  rating then that is quite a find.  They say submersible but don't give the SAE rating.

YOU NEED 1METER OF 5MM X 8MM R10 RATED HOSE AND ABOUT 4 INCHES OF 8MM R10 RATED HOSE.

i did this today on my 95 r1100rs (plastic tank) and i used about 4 inches of 8mm id R10 rated hose, didn't replace the tiny u bend as it was ok, i used 5mm id and 10mm oF R10 rated hose, the original was 5mm id and 8mm od.

the 10mm od did fit but the petrol pipe clips had to be turned inward.

5mmX  8mm od is the original fitment (same as the external vent hoses) , i used ALL of the 1 meter vent hose, it would have been easier to use the 8mm od which is sold by motorworks for £25 per meter

and they list 2 different part numbers as one has a white stripe running down it.

the big o ring and filler neck o rings expand and need replacing and both the ends of the fuel pump nylon gauze filter had frayed but i didn't want to wait or spend another £15 so i used a couple of stainless steel safety pins

the 5mm id EXTERNAL vent hoses i will replace with 6mm reinforced fuel hose, relatively cheap and will clamp it down.

the 5mm X 10mm R10 rated hose is reinforced, but isn't under pressure so the cheaper 8mm would be fine.

i'm probaly rambling a bit because i spilt a gallon of petrol and i've been breathing fumes all day.

there's a black plastic shield on the metal vent pipe on the filler neck, it's a push fit and if it pops off, as it did on mine, falls into the tank and everything has to be taken apart again.

hope this helps

Lincoln & Magic D have gotten to the crux of the matter. On this side of the pond, we can get the shorter" pressure" side from the Boneyard.

The low pressure submersible tank vent & drain internal drain hose has been available only from BMW dealers (and expensive)... Until Lincoln brought Euro Motors to our attention.

So I checked with the Euromotor owner Norman Schwab who replied: 

"Yes, the application is correct – was just ensuring you do not use it under high pressure circumstances😊"

So there you have it - just what we need, OEM to boot  :https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/product-p/fp-venthose737.htm  4 feet for $52US at available at https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/

Thank you Lincoln

immersible vent hose.png

Spokane2303

What does Majicdave refer to when he states: "but the petrol pipe clips had to be turned inward"?

This is in reference to using a 10 mm od hose vs an 8 mm od bent/overflow hose?

Just trying to further understand!

Thanks

no, the clips i used had a threaded nut and bolt going through it and fouled the plastic tank lip at the bottom so i twisted it while it was on the metal pipe so the bolt wasn't fouling the lip anymore. 

i wish i had taken photos when i was doing it.

those spring clips that you put on with pliers would have been better

i'm surprised that you can't get any 5mm x 8mm R10 hose in america, the 8mm x13mm R10 is generally available at motorsports shops at a fraction of what BMW charge

if you can get it 5mm x 8mm is  easier to fit

20190321_135500.jpg

I used the submersible Tygon line when I replaced the drain lines on my bike. Note that there are several specs for Tygon: some are just gas resistant, and the one I bought was specifically spec'd as gas resistant and gas submersible. I don't think the possibility of it getting hard with use is a problem since it never moves once you put it on. 

28 minutes ago, flars said:

I used the submersible Tygon line when I replaced the drain lines on my bike. Note that there are several specs for Tygon: some are just gas resistant, and the one I bought was specifically spec'd as gas resistant and gas submersible. I don't think the possibility of it getting hard with use is a problem since it never moves once you put it on. 

Afternoon Flars

True that it doesn't move (that is until you try to remove the pump assembly). At that time stiff internal hoses can bend the low fuel float arm, or  make it difficult to pull the assembly out far enough to access the clamps & even with loose clamps the stiff hard hose  sure won't pull off of the pipe nipples.

Hopefully you will  have better luck than I have  had in past using submersible Tygon.