IGNORED

1996 R1100RT for sale - $1000

Trobinson

I've decided it's time for me to part ways with my '96R1100RT.  It's been a good machine overall and has served me well the last 5 years.

I'm selling it for a couple of reasons.  1. It has an intermittent power loss problem that I've been unable to track down.  This can come up once in several hundred miles and does not seem to be temperature dependent.  2. I'm looking for something newer and more powerful, specifically an FJR1300.  I'd go for a later model K1300GT, but they are out of my budget.

So, the specifics.

Overal condition is fair.  Fairing is intact, but has a good size crack on the right.  It's an excellent commute bike.

Stock seats.

Needs a windshield.  I tried polishing out quite a bit of deterioration and made things worse.

It has an Ohlins rear shock with remote preload adjustment and rebound adjustment.

It has a small top case.

I have the right side bag (large).  The left one broke a while back so it is gone.

Mileage: 184,923 miles.

Transmission replaced approx. 8k miles ago with a used one that had reportedly 50k miles.  Shifting is excellent and fuel economy increased 15% or so with this tranny.  Splines are in excellent condition.  Could use a clutch as this one is worn, but not slipping.

MotoBatt battery (will have a fresh charge).

Final drive is in excellent condition.  No movement in the bearings or the pivot pins.  Pivot pins were upgraded about 40k miles ago with straight bushings from Ted Porter in Santa Cruz, CA.   I'll attach a representative pic from when I last had the drive off for inspection.  This was at about 35k miles.

I have a new oil level sight glass.

Needs a new tailight lens.  Current one is broken where the brake light holder goes.

It has an Innovate LC-1 wideband O2 sensor installed that works great!  Hardware needed for interfacing with a laptop will be included.  Currently set to 13.6:1 AFR.

I can supply more pics if interested.

I'm looking to either sell the bike whole in the next month or so (price is fairly firm) or I'm going to dismantle it and sell parts, preference is to sell whole.

Located in Bandera, TX (outside San Antonio, TX).

Tom Robinson

0328161109a.jpg

20190311_132636.jpg

20190311_132649.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi Tom, really nice bike, unfortunately I'm quite far so I wouldn't classify myself as a potential buyer, however I'm just about to buy my first BMW, which is almost identical to yours (year, color model here is the  advert on our local trading site https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=2033396527). It has around 100k km in it's clock which is pretty much around the quarter of yours. I have an impression you are very familiar with this bike, in terms of technical details and so on. I could use some advise what should i look for on an R1100RT when I going to check it. I'm a hands on type person, happy to do my own repairs so I'm not afraid to do it. Also I expect imperfections on a bike in this age, but I try to avoid the big ticketed items. I would really appreciate your comments. 

Cheers

Arpad

Arpa, 

You'll do much better posting this in Oilheads where you will have many owners/previous owners who can provide input.  Pricing/value are areas that will be a bit harder for most members to respond to since your asking about a bike in New Zealand, but the we should be able to provide good information on the rest of your request. 

I can not move your reply so you will need to make a new one.

Ed

Staff

• 1 month later...

Hi Tom. I'm interested in your 1100RT. I'm just up the road from you near Alvarado off of 35. Currently up in Colorado but I'll be down that way in a week or two.

David

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

David,

Sorry for the delay in my reply.  I haven't been on the site for a while and no email notifications.  Yes, I'm still interested in selling it.  PM me contact info and let's see what we can setup.

Tom