IGNORED

Where do you store your helmet when you walk away from the bike?

Miguel!

I suspect this is applicable to all the BMW R and K bikes from 1996 - 2006.

I have a Shoei NeoTec modular/flip-up full face helmet, not the Neotec II but that probably doesn't matter since I suspect they are the same size. Its a fabulous helmet.

I have sidecars but no topcase. No matter how I orient the helmet, I can't fit it into the sidecase. 

So where to you store you helmet when you walk away from the bike. I know I could use a cable and padlock but I was hoping for another solution. I scoured the area under the seat but can't figure out how'd I hang a helmet from anything under the seat. 

I suspect this has been covered before but I couldn't find it using the search function. 

Cheers!!

Miguel

I strap mine (or cable lock it)  onto my seat using the rear grab rails (on the RT) and a half cover goes over my bike to keep the weather off of it while I am away from the bike.

These look pretty slick, though I have no experience with them  .LINK

Also, I do have experience with these; and they work just fine.  LINK

You can also just use a cable lanyard with a padlock and cable to the bike as Claudio mentioned.

1 hour ago, LBump said:

You can also just use a cable lanyard with a padlock and cable to the bike as Claudio mentioned.

I use LBump's second link product.

20180712_093242.thumb.jpg.cf34af87cff0536afc67ce4192c0df62.jpg

szurszewski

I almost never lock mine to the bike. Often just leave it on the tank with my jacket over it. 

If on thr sidecar rig it it sits in the sidecar sometimes, but that’s open too. 

That said, I “upgraded” to an Arai (bought at a DEEP discount) at the end of the summer and I will probably be less cavalier with that...at least for a couple of years. 

When I have wanted to lock the lid it was usually a with a cable wrapped through the eyeport, or with a strap I could close into a side case. Hey - wasn’t there a doodad that was made to hold a helmet down to the locking handle on the bmw sidecases?

• Like 1

On my R12C, I store it in the side case.  If I have my lunchbox in there, or my wife is with me, I store it on the passenger seat backrest with a coiled cable running through it with a padlock.  Her helmet will be locked as it sits on the rear passenger seat right next to my helmet for both of them to be secured together.  The side cases will end up storing his/her riding gear.  When on the RT, I store them in the top case.

My helmet is a Schuberth C4 with a ratchet type chin strap; no D-ring.  I am not familiar on how I could use it for a standard helmet lock which uses the D-ring to hook it.  I guess i could look at it more closely to see if it has a way to secure it in that fashion, although I have first owned this brand of helmet back in September, I never had a need to lock it with a D-ring and never checked if it was possible.

Back in the late 80's when I rode a Kawasaki 700 LTD, I used the helmet lock that came with the bike.  I would always use it.  Not sure about the modern bikes still having those locks.  I suppose BMW bikes are not equipped with a hemet lock, but I am not familiar with all the models; just only two.  My 85 V65 Sabre (project) has a helmet lock.

When I park the bike and go inside somewhere for a moment, I may sit the helmet without locking it, but for the most part, I try to secure it all the time.  I do not trust that it will not be there when I return; it is all about opportunity to some folks and I feel compelled not to allow that to happen.

My 2 cents (which is actually worth $37.50, BTW.)

Cheers,

• Like 1

I moved this thread because when traveling all our boxes are full so there is never room in them for helmets regardless of their size. So everyone could share you concern at one time or another. 

BTW...I have never locked my helmet anywhere at anytime. I just throw it over the mirror. 

• Like 3

It's hard to know when your helmet and gear are secure when away form the bike. I do know someone who HAS HAD their helmet stolen from their bike at a fuel stop while traveling several states from home.

• Like 1

I have some of the plastic coated wire rope cables with eyes on the end.  Probably 1/8" diameter or so. Thread them through the helmet and/or jacket/pants and then through either the bar risers or passenger handholds. Then lock the eyes together with a small lock. My helmet goes into the right sidecase on the newer RT, I do that riding local most of the time. 

But on trips, the cables have been the worry free answer when leaving the bike unattended. 

Same as Claudio.  I wear a Neotec.  It will fit into my cases if they are empty...but they never are.  So...I use a device like this.  Mine is a different brand.  The combination lock versus carrying and losing another key works best for me.  I run the cable through my jacket sleeve then through the chin bar and attach it to the seat rails.  Anytime I leave the bike I lock my helmet.  It's the one piece of gear I would hate to ride home without.

https://www.amazon.com/Bosvision-4-Digit-Combination-Carabiner-karabiner/dp/B07HRL3D39/ref=asc_df_B07HRL3D39/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312066961874&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1586463870763796513&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9027630&hvtargid=pla-644917390200&psc=1

• Like 1

My XXL C3 or C3 Pro will fit in the pannier with the chin bar open.

8621047159_c89132d767_o.jpg.8913f576bd383084df60928fe4a063d2.jpg

My Shad  50 top box is usually empty, and is the most convenient storage. Holds two helmets if properly arranged.

Travelling, the box is full of gear, so the helmet sits on the handlebar over the reservoir mounted Zumo, secured to the top triple clamp with a cable lock, along with my jacket.  If I will be away from the bike for more than a short time,  a  UV2000 half cover discourages casual tampering and (hopefully) reduces fading of my Hi-Viz gear.

What helmet?  Wisconsin is a choice state so I leave the helmet on the shelf and fill my side cases and top box with beer, brats, and kaiser brat buns for the picnic. The real question is how do you strap the Smokey Joe on the bike :beer:

Haha - just kidding. While my and my wife's Shoei full face helmets fit the cases on our '99 RT, she packs to the brim with clothing and shoe options so I too use the license with integrated helmet locks  plate.  I also keep a light cable lock in the cuby of '99 RT and lock either the helmets or the riding coats up that way.  Although many of the places we frequently on our day trips are safe enough to just leave you gear on the bike w/o fear of evaporation.

The '15RT cases and particularly the 49 liter top case solved the problem.  The Smokey Joe fits nicely in the top case if I invert the Smokey Joe's lid.  Just be sure you dump the glowing coals and let it cool a while first.

3 hours ago, Paul De said:

While my and my wife's Shoei full face helmets fit the cases on our '99 RT,

Paul, I presume you mean the side cases. I can't seem to figure out how to do that. Can you post a pic of it in the side case so I can figure out what the right orientation is? If its the top case, no need to post. I understand. 

Best

Miguel!

3 hours ago, lkraus said:

My XXL C3 or C3 Pro will fit in the pannier with the chin bar open.

8621047159_c89132d767_o.jpg.8913f576bd383084df60928fe4a063d2.jpg

My Shad  50 top box is usually empty, and is the most convenient storage. Holds two helmets if properly arranged.

Travelling, the box is full of gear, so the helmet sits on the handlebar over the reservoir mounted Zumo, secured to the top triple clamp with a cable lock, along with my jacket.  If I will be away from the bike for more than a short time,  a  UV2000 half cover discourages casual tampering and (hopefully) reduces fading of my Hi-Viz gear.

Ikraus, which model is that that packs the helmet in the side case? I have an R1100RT. I can' figure out how to fit it. Seems like the locking mechanism gets in the way. 

Miguel!

46 minutes ago, Miguel! said:

Ikraus, which model is that that packs the helmet in the side case? I have an R1100RT. I can' figure out how to fit it. Seems like the locking mechanism gets in the way. 

Miguel!

I have an '06 R1200RT, so the pannier does have a different shape than your R1100RT.

1 hour ago, Miguel! said:

Paul, I presume you mean the side cases. I can't seem to figure out how to do that. Can you post a pic of it in the side case so I can figure out what the right orientation is? If its the top case, no need to post. I understand.  

Hi Miguel,

I think the issue is you have a Neotec flip face and my and my wife have the Z-Two full face which likely is narrower W/O flip face element.  We are able to store them in the side cases base side down with the face shield facing forward.  I tend to put mine in the right side and my wife's in the left because she wears a slightly larger size and mine fits the right side better which looses some space to allow for the evaporator canister. I guess there are benefits to a smallish head!!

I am old school though and when just riding around on day trips in warm sunny weather I often wear a 3/4 shell the RJ-Platimum R which then allows me to stuff my summer mesh jacket in the same case with that helmet with ease.  I was was only half kidding about leaving room for the brats. In these parts you can make a day trip in almost any direction chasing down small specialty sausage shops and tiny cheese factories.   We leave the top box uncrowded and use a nice soft side cooler that fits a dozen Mushroom Swiss brats from Helds and pound of 10 year old cheddar from Union Star Cheese (if the damn foo-foo specialty shops don't buy them out before I get there!!!)

Bill_Walker

I use a Helmet Guardian behind-the-license-plate lock, and I use it every time I walk away from the bike, although if I'll be close, I may not close the lock (which acts like a hook when it's open), simply because it's the only place on a motorcycle I've never had a helmet fall off of.  The one exception is if I'm on a local ride with my top box empty, in which case I'll usually put the helmet in there.

• Like 1

I guess I'm the odd one on the block.  Unless I can see it on the bike and can run there fast enough to catch someone trying to take it, I carry it in with me.

• Like 1
Charles Elms

It's been over 4 years since I had my 97 RT.  I seem to remember that if you take the seat off, there are two wire 's-hook' like things attached to each side of the frame that you can slide your D-ring on and then replace and lock the seat.  Take a look under your seat, maybe you have something like that.  Took me a while to figure out what it was and was for.  Found a picture.

IMG_0457_LI.thumb.jpg.1d494b3f9caff177401496c7ba7f06e0.jpg

Edited by Charles Elms
Added picture
18 minutes ago, Charles Elms said:

It's been over 4 years since I had my 97 RT.  I seem to remember that if you take the seat off, there are two wire 's-hook' like things attached to each side of the frame that you can slide your D-ring on and then replace and lock the seat.  Take a look under your seat, maybe you have something like that.  Took me a while to figure out what it was and was for.  Found a picture.

IMG_0457_LI.thumb.jpg.1d494b3f9caff177401496c7ba7f06e0.jpg

That is good to know.  I wondered if BMW had any of those on their bikes.  

Thanks for posting.

Charles. Thx for the picture. I took my seat of today and looked for the hooks as well. Here's another view of them. 

Cheers Miguel 

1DC38A7B-34AC-4C2A-8AD4-78CDD0B20EC0.jpeg

But even with the side cases off, the strap on my shoei is way too short to reach the hook and then lock the rear seat onto the bike. 

I retried finding a way to get my helmet into the side case, opening and closing the flip up section. It just will not fit and isn't even close. I have given up on that approach.

The thing I don't Like about hanging my helmet upside down like some of the solutions given here is that debris falls into the helmet, especially if  it  needs to hang there all day long.

I'm still looking and thinking about other solutions. I know a cable lock thru the eye port is one way to go. Or I could get a top case but I'm not sure I want one. 

Best Miguel 

My helmet is so old that someone would be doing me a favor by stealing it. The padding on the inside is completely gone so I wear a knit cap under it for padding. I really should replace it, but I am cheap and it works so I never actually get a new one, although I look at them every time I'm at the dealers.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
39 minutes ago, Green RT said:

My helmet is so old that someone would be doing me a favor by stealing it. The padding on the inside is completely gone so I wear a knit cap under it for padding. I really should replace it, but I am cheap and it works so I never actually get a new one, although I look at them every time I'm at the dealers.

If you've been around bikes that long, you know that helmet is not going to provide any protection for you. The foam breaks down after 6 years or so. But again, I'm not telling you anything you don't know. There's a lot of really good helmets out there for pretty little money. Just sayin'. 

Best

Miguel

47 minutes ago, Green RT said:

With all due respect, "it works"?! As a head cover or what? Come on :4317:, of all things to be cheap about, a helmet?! As stated, there are very good helmets for a reasonable price.  Going a bit beyond the recommended replacement time frame is one thing, but sounds like yours is way past that? 

Best Wishes.

Both my wife's & my BMW Series 6 fit in the panniers of our 2017 Wet head, side on no problem. Our previous helmets, mine Shoei Multitec,  wife's a Nolan, also fitted ok. The panniers have a Slime compressor &  puncture repair kit fitted into the indentations of each.

If needing to walk about on a hot day, jackets go in the panniers & the helmets are fastened to the seat grab rails with a cable lock threaded thru the chin piece.

Unlocked and hung off the mirror or a peg, but now with the ratchet chin strap I can quickly snap it onto my rear rack. 

5 hours ago, mileypop said:

Both my wife's & my BMW Series 6 fit in the panniers of our 2017 Wet head, side on no problem. Our previous helmets, mine Shoei Multitec,  wife's a Nolan, also fitted ok. The panniers have a Slime compressor &  puncture repair kit fitted into the indentations of each.

If needing to walk about on a hot day, jackets go in the panniers & the helmets are fastened to the seat grab rails with a cable lock threaded thru the chin piece.

Unfortunately, my Shoei Neotec will not fit in the side cases, no matter if the flip up face is open or closed and no mater how I orient it. It always gets blocked by the side case locking mechanism. Thanks for your thoughts tho. The Neotec is an excellent helmet, fits me well, is very quiet and light and not really interested in changing to a BMW helmet. 

Best

Miguel

4 hours ago, Limecreek said:

Unlocked and hung off the mirror or a peg, but now with the ratchet chin strap I can quickly snap it onto my rear rack. 

Meaning anyone can walk by and take it?

Best

Miguel

15 hours ago, Miguel! said:

But even with the side cases off, the strap on my shoei is way too short to reach the hook and then lock the rear seat onto the bike. 

Miguel agreed.  I know of these hooks and that the OM says they are for securing your helmet, but I also found them not functional because Shoei's D-ring strap is too short to get the seat secured.  I use those hooks with my Helen TwoWheels loop straps to secure gear when riding solo.

Umm you mean my Buco 1/2 shell helmet is too old and needs to be replaced...Dang

image.png.3e618634610368d78610a5e207baf5d7.png

5 hours ago, mileypop said:

fit in the panniers of our 2017 Wet head

Miguel is referencing the earlier generation panniers which are not as wide.  Biggly different!

2 hours ago, Paul De said:

Umm you mean my Buco 1/2 shell helmet is too old and needs to be replaced...Dang

image.png.3e618634610368d78610a5e207baf5d7.png

Undoubtedly!!* Personally, I'd cut the straps and turn it into a planter. :)

Undoubtedly is such  strange, but real, word.

Wait a minute folks!  Don't pitch out that Buco helmet.   If they are in good shape and '60s vintage or earlier they my be worth more a new full face...FOR REAL

This is for a SOLD Buco!!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1960s-Buco-Traveler-White-Half-Shell-Adjustable-Motorcycle-Helmet/254135909138?hash=item3b2bae3b12:g:2bgAAOSw~TdccC~B&vxp=mtr

And being a half shell you could use your underseat helmet hook with no problems!

1 hour ago, Paul De said:

Wait a minute folks!  Don't pitch out that Buco helmet.   If they are in good shape and '60s vintage or earlier they my be worth more a new full face...FOR REAL

This is for a SOLD Buco!!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1960s-Buco-Traveler-White-Half-Shell-Adjustable-Motorcycle-Helmet/254135909138?hash=item3b2bae3b12:g:2bgAAOSw~TdccC~B&vxp=mtr

And being a half shell you could use your underseat helmet hook with no problems!

They still make pretty good planters :) 

Best

Miguel

It all depends where I am.

In the general Los Angeles area, and I suppose most or much of California I used a cable lock thru' the helmet which sat on the seat and thru' the sleeve of my jacket.  As the stories are notorious of stealing helmets and anything else not securely secured around Los Angeles, and some of the other tourist areas.

In less popular areas I just sit the helmet on my gloves on the shady side of the bike, on the ground.

In California you will be stopped quite fast without a helmet, so you don't want yours stolen, leaving you to ride home or far without a helmet. 

dc

I always take my helmet with me because it's easier than forever trying to conjure up a way to secure it or hide it or whatever and I don't want to loose $600 thank you very much.

It depends.  If I'm going into a restaurant, I take my jacket and helmet with me.  Better to be with me than in the ambient temperature.  If it's not convenient to take it, like a museum or something like that, I’ll cable lock helmet and jacket to the rear grab rail. 

• 2 weeks later...

This is what I ultimately did. Its a 2" Masterlock with settable combination. $15 at Homedepot. Fit perfectly . The procedure is to slip the lock through the buckle, pull the open lock shank lock through the top case rack, swivel the lock and lock it. I covered the shank with red heatsink tubing to make it easy to spot the lock.

Advantages:

•  The combo is facing up to lock and lock the combo
  • When you unlock it, the shank drops down but does not swivel so the helmet will not fall
  • The padlock is easily stored in the glovebox (R1100RT)
  • Can hold two full face helmets if they have traditional MC helmet buckles

You could put the helmet in a helmet bag (Shoei provides a soft one) to keep the debris out of the helmet

Someone could cut the strap but that makes the helmet useless. And while some vandal might do that just for "fun", my bike is never left in what I would consider high-risk areas. And it if were, I'd take my helmet with me.

While a cable lock would work just as well, you have to find a place to stow the cable when not needed and I don't like the "untidiness" of just locking it to the topcase rack.

Best

Miguel

IMG_1607.jpeg

I take my helmet with me when I leave the bike.  It's no big deal in eateries and grocery stores.  In fact in grocery stores I simply place my helmet and jacket in a cart while shopping.  I do have a long and short plastic coated  cable with mickey mouse locks.  I use them for the jacket sometimes.  But I can't bring myself to use it for the helmet.  Like Miguel's pic, the helmet is up.  This just invites opportunist low lifes a venue for dumping what ever into my lid.  I know this as I used to hang with a few of these folk as a lad.

Red, I might have been your hoodlum friend as a teenager.:cool:

You can also tip the helmet upright on the top case. The lock will rotate on the top case rack pretty easily. You could also put it in a soft case helmet bag. It won't fool anyone but won't be as obvious a target.

Like I said above, I generally don't end up in high-risk areas and if I do, I take the helmet. If I ended up in a high risk area, I'd also worry about someone just tipping the bike off the center stand.

I wish my helmet fit in the sidecase but it doesn't and I don't have a topcase. 

Best

Miguel

• Like 1
On 3/7/2019 at 7:51 PM, LBump said:

I use the item in the second link, and have for quite a few years now.  No complaints here.

John Ranalletta

Like most others, mostly just leave it on the mirror; but when away from the a while or a longer distance (like for a hike), I use a longer cable lock long enough to thread through two jacket sleeves and two helmets.

I have never just left my helmet on the mirror. Primarily because it can just roll off and smash onto the ground or curb and some helmet manufacturers would recommend against using a helmet the has taken such a spill. You can of course choose to ignore them. I tend to handle my helmet like valuable jewelry so it never falls. Also, the R1100RT mirrors are integrated into the fairing and a helmet cannot be hung from them.My other bike has a top case which will hold my Shoei flip-up/modular helmet and I can also hang it from a hook under the seat without a problem. I do not have a top case on my R1100RT and what passes for helmet hooks under the seat will not work with my helmet.

Fortunately, my  jacket, overpants, boots and gloves (all with armoring) will fit into my sidecases so I don't need a cable to secure them.

Best Miguel

I started this thread because I couldn't figure out how to  fit my Shoei Neotec modular helmet into the sidecase. I tried for some time one afternoon trying to fit it into the right sidecase.  I wouldn't fit no matter how I turned it. 

Fast forward to today....

Today, I discovered the the two side cases on my R1100RT are not symmetric. I took them off for another reason and saw the shape on the back was different between left and right. So I tried to fit my helmet into the left sidecase. IT WORKED!!. Its tight but worked and no part of the sidecase was bulging. I tried a number of different orientations but this was the only way I could get it to fit.

I hope this helps others. 

Best

Miguel

IMG_1617.jpeg

IMG_1618.jpeg

IMG_1620.jpeg