IGNORED

Jump Post for Oilheads

Jim Moore

HI Guys,

At one point you could buy a small kit to create a jump post at the starter to jump-start the bike or to jump-start another bike. It involved drilling a hole in the starter cover and attaching a post directly to the starter itself. Does anyone remember that? Is there a part number for it?

Thanks,

It was a standard item on the later 1150RT's and was located under the seat:

61 21 7 671 334     EXTENSION-ANGLE PIECE FOR BATTERY

61 13 7 671 354     EARTH PIN - M6X10

61 13 7 672 395     PROTECTION CAP

07 11 9 931 050     WASHER - 6,4

61 21 1 459 099     COVERING CAP

see; https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51765&rnd=07242017

Fiche #   61_2311 - BATTERY, MAINTENANCE-FREE  items 7, 9, 10, 11, 12

I used a battery cable with lug connectors on  each end.  One side connected directly to the main starter post which of course connects directly to the battery.  I then routed and strapped the cable along the frame terminating just beyond the black triangle on the left side.  Since this was something that would be used very infrequently I just slid a piece of hose over the exposed end to insulate it taping it for extra security.  With this system you could jump or be jumped with minimal effort.  

2 hours ago, Jim Moore said:

HI Guys,

At one point you could buy a small kit to create a jump post at the starter to jump-start the bike or to jump-start another bike. It involved drilling a hole in the starter cover and attaching a post directly to the starter itself. Does anyone remember that? Is there a part number for it?

Thanks,

Morning Jim

There were 2 kits (maybe more)-- on 1100/1150 bikes with tupperware  covered starters  (like the RT) the kit added a battery post extension to the (+)  battery post then required seat removal to use.

On bikes with small starter covers & no covering tupperware   like the (R) & (GS) the jump post was installed directly to the starter solenoid large battery cable stud  with a 90° bracket then a hole drilled in the starter plastic cover for the jump post to stick through, then a rubber snap-on-type  cover added to the exposed (hot) jump post.

In the past I have also done as Eddd has done & added a short extra battery cable to either the battery (+) post then extended to back under the seat, then soldered on a .32 cal brass case then slid on a tight fitting  rubber vacuum cap.

Or, added a short extra battery cable to  the starter solenoid  (+) stud, then extended to back under the  tupperware , then soldered on a .32 cal brass case, then slid on a tight fitting  rubber vacuum cap, then zip tied to a safe place on the frame or run up under the seat & secured.  

What bike are you asking about? We can probably  find the proper parts numbers (or complete kit) for that bike.

5 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Morning Jim

What bike are you asking about? We can probably  find the proper parts numbers (or complete kit) for that bike.

Sorry, I should have included that. It's an R1100RS.

44 minutes ago, Jim Moore said:

Sorry, I should have included that. It's an R1100RS.

Afternoon Jim

My book doesn't show anything specific for the R1100RS so it is a bit of a guessing game.

I would think  (but this has gotten me into trouble before) that the R1150RS parts would fit but this would have to be confirmed (especially as you have to drill a hole in the starter cover).

Look up R1150RS starter in Max 1150RS parts diagram then look at the parts that I have circled in picture.  

Your other alternative is to see if you have clearance to use the 1150RT (+) battery post extension.  

Personally I haven't ever added either the starter or battery remote jumper parts to the  R1100RS so I can't give you anything solid.

1150 jumper parts.JPG

Thanks folks. I'm going to head to the dealer tomorrow and order the parts. I'll let you know how it works out.

Haha  :5147:- I'll have to look into a jumper kit as a belt & suspenders farkle too.  I guess living on top of a hill just won't cut it anymore with all the electronics that need to be fully powered to run these beasts!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @dirtrider,

You don't happen to have a copy of the directions for this mod stored on your computer some where, do you? There was a template that showed where to drill the hole in the starter cover. I managed to gey the parts, but the parts guy couldn't figure out how to get a copy of the template.

Thanks in advance,

2 hours ago, Jim Moore said:

Hey @dirtrider,

You don't happen to have a copy of the directions for this mod stored on your computer some where, do you? There was a template that showed where to drill the hole in the starter cover. I managed to gey the parts, but the parts guy couldn't figure out how to get a copy of the template.

Thanks in advance,

Afternoon Jim

I haven't ever seen a template for that hole so, no, I don't  have one.

I just install the starter parts, then try to figure out how far the cover is from that starter bracket, then make a pointed bolt just slightly shorter than the cover clearance to the bracket (+  bolt thread depth that goes into bracket).

I then screw that long pointed bolt into the bracket with a nut on the bolt treads to tighten against & center long bolt on the bracket.

Then I install the cover & give the cover a good whack with my hand towards the bracket.

Hopefully that will leave a little divot on the inside of the cover.

Then I drill a bolt sized hole in the cover  (no larger than the bolt)  -- Then I reinstall the cover & see if the long bolt actually lines up with the drilled hole. If it does then I enlarge the hole to the jumper-stud size,  if it doesn't line up then I work at  the hole until it does, then use the center of the enlarged hole to make the jumper-stud size hole.

Thanks. That sounds like a plan. I got a it for this mod from Max several years ago. Maybe the template was something they made themselves..

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 12:59 PM, tallman said:

Screwdriver. Works. YMMV.

That's what I've used Tallman!

• 2 weeks later...