IGNORED

Repainting '98 RT - single stage or two stage?

Trueairspeed

Trueairspeed

I encountered a low speed drop on my '98 1100 RT and want to get one Tupperware panel repainted (black).  Is the factory paint single stage or two stage (base coat and clear coat)?  Also where can I locate the paint (paint code 999)?  Tried the local dealer and "no joy."

Thanks in advance,

Terry

34 minutes ago, Trueairspeed said:

I encountered a low speed drop on my '98 1100 RT and want to get one Tupperware panel repainted (black).  Is the factory paint single stage or two stage (base coat and clear coat)?  Also where can I locate the paint (paint code 999)?  Tried the local dealer and "no joy."

Terry

If you look in the BMW parts fiche in section 51, vehicle trim, you will find each of the standard paint colors that were offered for the R1100RT.  Paint scheme 716 is Night Black. It is a two stage color. The paint color is 668.  There should be a sticker on the top of the fuse box cover. That sticker should be the paint scheme.

Definitely base/clear.  I had great luck at a BASF retailer.  They are the OEM paint supplier for BMW.  The color match and clear coat texture were spot on and it was a deep red K1100RS - and red is a very tough match.

There is a color code and a corresponding paint code that body shops and paint stores will have. Color code is what the box is ticked off when the bike is ordered . Paint code is what the actual color is. 

is your bike an ex Police bike ? 

My memory is fuzzy, but I seem to recall that 999 was the code for Authorities. 

There is no 999 paint code listed as we know .

I had a local shop do some painting for me on my 2001 R1100RT. It was a PITA to find the paint. But we did. The company that makes it is Standox tho they got it locally from an auto parts store. It is two part. It was $140 for a pint. They painted touring bags and a mirror. Still plenty left. They said a pint is enough for the whole bike. The color code was on a label on top of fuse box under seat. 

Hope that helps

Best 

Miguel 

B7243FE0-37F0-47F0-B9EB-E1BF47C745E1.jpeg

Trueairspeed

Thanks all for the replies.  My bike is not and was never a RT-P.  On the relay/fuse box it states that the color is 999 and it’s a black bike.  I’ll use the VIN and see if that helps in determining the correct color code.

Terry

FWIW, several years ago I had the occasion to repaint a right lower fairing on a 2000 Honda VFR (metallic yellow).  OE paint was unavailable.  The ColorRite paint for my bike was a three-stage process: base coat-color coat- clear coat.  I used the rattle can kit according to directions.  The paint job looked perfect in natural light.  Really, a perfect match.  But in the flourescent light of my garage, the ColorRite took on a greenish tint that really stood out.  I hated it.  I called tech support, no joy...the OE color tints are proprietary information and aftermarket paint manufacturers "reverse engineer" formulations to achieve the color match.  Tech support suggested I repaint the rest of the bike to match the fairing.

I ended up sanding and repainting with another aftermarket paint (Sherwin Williams) that worked out a lot better for me.

fwiw