IGNORED

Audio cable wiring question

johnlt

I am completing the installation of an amp into my "aux" imput on the BMW radio that I read about on the Hexhead forum but have a question. The audio connectors are stereo which means they have a "tip", a "middle section", and a "base section". I assume the base is for the screen (ground) but is the tip the "right" and the middle section the "left" or the other way around? It may not make any difference as long as you are consistent but I'd like to do it the correct way. Thanks,

Jerry Johnston

I used to wonder about the same thing years back and the only answer I rec'd was to play a tape with an orchestra and apparently they were laid out similarly if you're familiar with an orchestra I guess the bass section is usually on the same side. I can't remember what side that is, along varify that the info is correct. I just don't pay any attention to it anymore.

I am completing the installation of an amp into my "aux" imput on the BMW radio that I read about on the Hexhead forum but have a question. The audio connectors are stereo which means they have a "tip", a "middle section", and a "base section". I assume the base is for the screen (ground) but is the tip the "right" and the middle section the "left" or the other way around? It may not make any difference as long as you are consistent but I'd like to do it the correct way. Thanks,

In the audio world the tip is right, ring is left and the main part of the connector is ground.

It you reverse tip and ring, all that happens is you get a left-right channel reversal.

Now whether this particular amp follows convention, is another matter. Odd that it uses what amounts to an unshielded mini-headphone jack for low level input!

Bob.

Thanks Bob, that is exactly what I was looking for. This is a standard CanKit 14W dual channel amp that I am using to amplify the output of my XM radio for input to the Aux channel of the BMW radio. The XM software volume isn't enough and there is no provision for adjusting Aux-in gain in the radio that I and several others can find. I tried calling the radio mfg. (Becker) but they were no help.

Archived