IGNORED

Got Techlusion but now the idle is rough

BucksTherapy

BucksTherapy

What I would give for a cracker jack tuner in eastern Canada.

I was having pronounced surging so I adjusted the valves(don't know if they're perfect but they're close); did a TBS(meter reads pretty even from idle to 4000); bought a techlusion(surging gone but idles rough and very slight hesitation on acceleration, still playing with it, didn't think it was supposed to effect idle).

What I would give for someone with a ton of experience tuning an 02RT. I am going to start from scratch this weekend and once again check valve adjustment, re-do TBS and play with the Techlusion as per instructions.

Anyone out there know of a cracker jack tuner in Maine or Eastern Canada?

I have read every method for TBS, valve adjustment and techlusion setting on this site and can't see anything I am doing wrong. With that said I am not tuning on a regular basis and am no pro. In other words, I don't have the feel to know I have it perfect.

Any additional advice would be most appreciated. I take direction well just don't execute perfectly.

PS When adjusting the valves should the feeler guage slide easily, have some friction or be firm(not stuck)?

When adjusting the valves should the feeler guage slide easily, have some friction or be firm(not stuck)?

Have some friction. Think of it this way, it should just not fall out on its own.

ISFA a rough idle though, what are you using as a bench mark for 'smooth'? Have you compared it to other '02 RTs? No boxer idles silky smooth. Just wanting to make sure you aren't chasing a non-issue.

Some friction but not a lot. I will check and adjust with a feeler gauge .001 oversize and another .001 undersize. The smaller one should slide with almost no resistance, the bigger should be difficult to slide in. The correct size should feel smooth with a small amount of resistance when first entering the gap. The most important thing is that all four intake valves are the same and all the exhaust are the same.

BucksTherapy

ISFA a rough idle though, what are you using as a bench mark for 'smooth'? Have you compared it to other '02 RTs? No boxer idles silky smooth. Just wanting to make sure you aren't chasing a non-issue.

It is not as smooth as it used to be. The tach always moved a little but it is now fluctuating between 1000 and 1100 as if it can't find where it wants to be. It seems to me it used to idle more smoothly.

BucksTherapy
The most important thing is that all four intake valves are the same and all the exhaust are the same.

This may be the issue. I am not convinced I have all fouor with exxactly the same friction. Is there any margin for error or must they be exactly the same. Translated - I am pretty sure I can get them much alike but I don't know if I can ever get them exactly the same.

My RT/Techlusion's idle is indeed silky smooth, cold or hot, with great drivability and no surge.

If there's a stumbly idle or throttle hesitation, the settings may be too high. I ended up very low on my Techlusion settings. One thing I would try is to cut all the Techlusion number settings by half and see how that works.

I agree, you may have the idle setting too high. One method of setting that idle pot is to increase it until the idle becomes rough. Sounds like you are there! I would suggest lowering that pot and see what happens. Do it while the bike is running and listen.

There are also methods of adjusting the pots using a digital voltmeter. I have heard of people feeling that was very successful. I have an OLD techlusion that doesn't lend itself well to using the voltmeter, but I managed to find a way - although in my poking around I certainly could have screwed something up. After adjustment I thought it really ran well.

Expect a decrease in gas milage, as you are adding fuel to the mix with the techlusion.

Mike

I am not convinced I have all fouor with exxactly the same friction. Is there any margin for error or must they be exactly the same.
Well there is no such thing as exactly the same, right? Only some degree of sameness, the closer the better. Are you using the four feeler gage method, that is you have a feeler gage under all four adjusters while adjusting one? Makes a big difference.

That being said, it would take a pretty big valve adjustment error to cause a truly rough idle. Something else is going on here I suspect.

It would help us if you would give a complete synopsis of everything you've done, including what procedures you used.

It is not as smooth as it used to be. The tach always moved a little but it is now fluctuating between 1000 and 1100 as if it can't find where it wants to be. It seems to me it used to idle more smoothly.

A hunting idle is sometimes associated with an air leak on the engine side of the injectors. Check the o-rings are in good order, or just replace them as they are a cheap spare.

Andy

PS When adjusting the valves should the feeler guage slide easily, have some friction or be firm(not stuck)?

Make your life easy. Get some stepped feeler gauges.

They have two parts, one ever so slightly thinner, the other ever so slightly thicker...

If the thin part fits easily, and the thick part won't. Then you're all good. I suggest flipping the gauge around so the "step" is on the valve side rather than the rocker side.

They are $12 or so for a set from Snapon.

BucksTherapy

A hunting idle is sometimes associated with an air leak on the engine side of the injectors. Check the o-rings are in good order, or just replace them as they are a cheap spare.

Andy

This is a really good point. I just finished a spline lube and had the injectors out and in. I may try a little lithium grease on them tonight to hold them until I can get to the dealer to pickup the rings. This should tell me if I am sucking air.

I will put together a full list of what I've done and how I've done it later tonight. It is s beautiful day here in Eastern Canada and I am going to take my other bike(ST1300A) out for a run... and don't worry I'm not comparing the idle on the two.

BucksTherapy

It would help us if you would give a complete synopsis of everything you've done, including what procedures you used.

Here goes:

Just completed a spline lube and bike ran normally. I had not purchased a Techlusion yet and surging was noticeable.

Did valve adjustment using the four feeler guage method as directed on this site. Given the descriptions on this site I think I am pretty close after many adjustments to get them the same and then to compensate for the change when the lock nuts are tightened. Many tries but they feel about the same with some friction inserting the feeler guage and relatively light friction once inserted.

I then changed the alternator belt as I had the cover off to turn the motor to adjust the valves. Made an adapter for the belt adjusting bolt and torqued to 8Nm as spec'd.

Did a TBS using a nanometer. Used method on this site. Loosened throttle cable, put meter on, adjusted TBS at 3500 by adjusting the throttle cables on each side while checking to ensure the idle was around 1100. Used air bypass screws to adjust synch at idle. Actually got it pretty even from 1100 to 4000. Didn't check above 4000.

Still had surging but I don't recall a rough idle at this point. I must disconnect the Techlusion and see if the idle is smooth.

Bought a Techlusion and installed. Set as follows:

Cruise - Green fuel pot 0.6V or ~2:30

Acceleration to 4500 rpm - Yellow fuel pot 1.5V or ~3:30

Acceleration above 4500 rpm - Red fuel pot 1.4V or ~4:30

Cruise fuel pot - 3.6V or ~8:00

There are somethings I haven't done like change the plugs, They have 5000miles on them and are normally good for at least 10000.

I checked the airfilter and it was clean so I didn't replace it.

I have not checked the timing or spark but if I am not experiencing a missfire.

Any ideas folks!

Should I second guess myself and pull it apart to check valve adjustment again?

Should I re-do the TBS?

Should I just go ahead and play with the Techlusion? If so what would you try?

2wheelterry

BucksTheraphy:

After my last tune-up, I decided to reduce my Techlusion idle setting. My idle got a bit rougher. I rechecked and found my TBS was off. I tightened it up and got a decent idle again.

I would do as you mentioned and disconnect the Techlusion to confirm its not a bad unit, then recheck the basics.

I would do as you mentioned and disconnect the Techlusion to confirm its not a bad unit, then recheck the basics.
Yes. The Techlusion could be masking or complicating who knows what. Disconnect it. redo the TB sync. Evaluate. Then and only then if all is well with idle, etc. and you still have a surge issue, work the Techlusion back into the equation.

You don't say what TB sync. procedure you used, there have been several different ones posted here. That may still be a factor too.

BucksTherapy

Thanks, once agian you come through.

I re-checked, no, re-adjusted the valves and got them as good as I can get them.

I used the BMW method to do a TBS. I know this is not the best method but I luckily I have even vacuum from 1100 to 4500.

I then put the Techlusion back in the circuit with minimum settings. Voila, works better then it ever has. Now I need to fine tune the Pots for power and gas mileage but I have a base case I can now go back to that I am happy with.

Amazingly, even a novice like me can get rid of the surge with enough money and time.

Archived