IGNORED

Replaced left cam chain tensioner

The Fabricator

The Fabricator

R1150GS.  I replaced the left cam chain tensioner.  I had to remove the swing arm bolt to lift the swing arm. I have read many posts and seen 1 video about replacing this tensioner and always assumed it came right out with out moving the swing arm.  Am I missing something?

Good day, I am not sure what your question is. To replace the tensioner you only need to remove the tank and then you have access to the tensioner in front of the LH throttle body.

Do you mean you want to change the LH camchain guide?

Please can you explain more.

9 hours ago, The Fabricator said:

R1150GS.  I replaced the left cam chain tensioner.  I had to remove the swing arm bolt to lift the swing arm. I have read many posts and seen 1 video about replacing this tensioner and always assumed it came right out with out moving the swing arm.  Am I missing something?

Morning  The Fabricator

I guess that is one way to do it but seems like a LOT of extra work.

Bet you were working with the  bike on the center stand? The BMW (GS)  is slightly tighter to get out than on the (R) or (RT) due to slight front suspension differences. Those posts that you read &  the videos that you watched were probably for the (R) or (RT)  not the (GS).

I haven't ever had to remove the front front trailing arm (swing arm) bolt to get the L/H tensioner out of the GS  but I do tie the bike down tight on my lift  so the front suspension compresses, that usually moves the front trailing arm up 'just' enough to clear the tensioner (barely).

Or if no bike lift handy I put bike on center stand for most pre-removal work then drop bike on to side stand to get the tensioner out (or just use a couple of ratchet straps to collapse the front suspension enough to clear the tensioner removal).

Are you talking about the front suspension? Here’s a link to an earlier thread on this site. 

It has a link or two that might helpful, or you can google oilhead cam chain tensioner upgrade and find a couple of good, quick videos. 

I just finished replacing my Cam Chain Tensioner on a 2003 R1150rtp. 

It was pretty tight to get at and remove, but I was able to get it our and replaced without removing any suspension parts.

I had to unscrew the tensioner then, with a small screw driver compress the spring inside to be albe to remove the assembly.  Once that housing and spring were remove the bottom piece was easily removed with a small magnet.

It was a tight process, and at one point I thought I was going to have to remove the swing arm.  At the end of thr day it was not necessary.

Ah, I get it, you guys don't mean the swinging arm, you mean the front Telelever training arm.

So, no, you don't have to (and don't want to) be removing this. The parts are all accessible without disturbing any of that stuff.

IF you have removed the nut and withdrawn the axle, you may have to get someone else to jiggle that front end to allow the spindle to align.

So, to the O.P. yes you are missing something. You may need to use deep reach socket and also a flexible socket extension to get the correct angle. 

Make sure that bolt is done up correctly against the aluminium crush washer - OR - you will have an oil leak.

No need to remove it, slide out the top part, then the spring,then using a magnet, pick up the bottom piston.

Install in reverse order :D

Dan.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dan cata said:

No need to remove it, slide out the top part, then the spring,then using a magnet, pick up the bottom piston.

Install in reverse order :D

Dan.

Morning Dan

On the OP's 1150 GS it usually isn't that simple as the GS usually needs  just a bit more clearance at the trailing arm. Also, on the GS I usually have to fool with the spring a bit before the top part will come out. (the GS is a bit more fiddly than the R or RT, at least on US bikes anyhow)  

Definitely didn't need to mess with the front suspension. In my case I modified a box wrench (cut a chunk out of the arm) to create more access to the tensioner and simply compressed the front suspension on my lift (thereby creating a bit more clearance to lift out the old tensioner and put in the new one).