IGNORED

Remove ABS module for rebuild 2006 R1200

Ashe

14 hours ago, Ashe said:

Any information on removing the ABS module? Thank you.

Morning Ashe

What model 2006 R1200 are you working on?  Different models require procedures.

37 minutes ago, Ashe said:

It is a 2006 R1200Rt, I think there are only 3 nuts holding it in place but I trying to avoid and surprises. 

Morning Ashe

OK one more question__ Does your bike have the I-ABS (wizzy) power braking system or the later I-ABS gen 2 (no wizzy power assist)? 

Being a 2006 most should be the early (wizzy) power assist  system but we must be sure as the procedure is slightly different.  

Well, actually 2 questions__ How far can you get without needing a procedure? Like can you get the plastics  off & fuel tank removed. Or put another way at what point in the ABS module removal do you need help? (from what point on?)

Thank you for your help DR.  I do have the servo assisted, the whizzy.  I'm at the ABS unit it looks like there are 3 nuts holding it down but wanted to be certain.  The nut on the right side looks like a real pita to get to....

26 minutes ago, Ashe said:

Thank you for your help DR.  I do have the servo assisted, the whizzy.  I'm at the ABS unit it looks like there are 3 nuts holding it down but wanted to be certain.  The nut on the right side looks like a real pita to get to....

Afternoon Ashe

Remove the module with  brackets attached to module.  

From the manual__ 

LZmdJPl.jpg

Dr, well I has 1/2 right.  there were 3 , just not the 3 I was looking at!!   You just saved me a case of beer and a lost weekend, THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your help, GREATLY APPRECIATED!  Which manual  did you use?

1 minute ago, Ashe said:

Dr, well I has 1/2 right.  there were 3 , just not the 3 I was looking at!!   You just saved me a case of beer and a lost weekend, THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your help, GREATLY APPRECIATED!  Which manual  did you use?

I have a number of manuals but usually prefer the official BMW service manual. On your bike I had to revert back to the 2005 manual to get the I-ABS (wizzy)  picture as my 2006 manual showed the later I-ABS gen2 system.

The official BMW service manual is usually the most accurate but it assumes a lot as it assumes the reader is BMW system knowledgeable.

3 hours ago, Ashe said:

Module masters

Are they actually doing rebuilds now? I have a 2006 RT and I'm on their waiting list but I finally gave in a couple of weeks ago and bypassed the abs so I could ride while waiting.

Tyler said they are rebuilding and sending units out. I'm on the list also. I was told they were playing catch up  and should be able to send mine in in the next several weeks. Hbarclay, how long have you been on the list?

Edited by Ashe
added to message
5 hours ago, Ashe said:

Hbarclay, how long have you been on the list?

I only got on the list in Sept of 2018 so I’m sure I will have a long wait.

I just had my abs module rebuilt by MM.  2008 1200RT.  $250 and 5 days to send it back.  There was no list or waiting time.  I wasn’t sure about doing the removal/install/bleed process, so I had the local dealer do it.  Sure beat their initial quote of $1800 + labor.  900 mile ride later, and the brake failure light is still out.  Happy customer!

Curt

Great!!  The 05 and 06 have the servo assist, MM finally has a source  for all the components necessary for the rebuild. I was told $750 and a 5 year warranty.

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, RedMac said:

Question.. how does one "bypass" the ABS module? (2006 RT)

Not easy on the 1200RT as a simple by-pass won't allow the speedometer to work (it goes through the ABS system), plus you get a dash light that is not easy to turn off as  LED bulb  is soldered in & light is needed as it alarms for other problems.  

There are work arounds but those DEPEND so we need WAY more info about your problem.

22 hours ago, RedMac said:

Question.. how does one "bypass" the ABS module? (2006 RT)

It's really not that difficult. You have to remove the ABS module and separate the electronic module from the rest of the unit (lots of info online about how to do this). Reinstall the electronic module and your speedometer and other electronics will work fine. Remove all the extraneous brake lines and plumb the lines directly from the master cylinders to the calipers (also lots of info online). If I remember correctly the best tutorial on this was on this bmwsporttouring forum but I don't have the link handy. A search should find it.

I reused my original brake lines and the only new parts I had to buy were new crush washers, however I would really recommend that you buy new brake lines that are the correct length rather than going the cheap route. It would have made the job even easier.

After the above steps the brakes will work fine. No ABS and you have to actually squeeze them rather than using one finger and letting the servos do the work, but they are still very good brakes.

The Brake Error light and the Red Fault light will still be on but I solved that problem by taking the dash apart and putting electrical tape over them. If I have an error that would cause the red light to come on I will not see the warning but the only likely problem I could think of was an alternator issue so I installed a digital voltmeter to monitor that issue.