IGNORED

New to the Forum

Gary G

A couple of days ago, I was in our local Trader Joes and some guy noticed my BMW Motorcycle Training hat from South Carolina.   Well, it turns out that his name is Peter and known to many of you as "Twistyguy."  We talked for a bit and he told me about the forum.  I looked, liked and now I'm a new member.

My name is Gary and I'm from Chevy Chase, Maryland.  My primary bike is a 2016 S1000XR and on occasion, I use my 2000 R1200c when I feel like relaxing.  I love the looks of the R12c, but I really love to ride the S1000XR.  My favorite rides are in the mountains of West Virginia and South West Virginia.  Peter told me about the START ride coming up in April, so I made a reservation and hope to be able to attend.  I'd be coming down on Wednesday and staying through Sunday.  IndyDave, I hope that's ok with you!  I'm looking forward to getting to know some of you and getting some great rides.

fullsizeoutput_c06.jpeg

• Like 3

I've never ridden a C but I bet it's a nice ride. Admit I didn't get it at first but they've grown on me. :thumbsup:

I think you'll have a blast at START or would that be FART. :grin: Either one will be great!

Welcome to the club!:wave:

Welcome to the club. 

Nice bike!   It has the fastest color, by the way.  It has nowhere near the power of your S100XR but the C sure is fun to ride.  Am I right?

Hope to see you in Sparta.

Cheers,

Welcome, Gary! Twistyguy is responsible for a 5 minute belly laugh - complete with tears - at last year's START in Blowing Rock. Word to the wise -  when he's telling a story, it's best to stop eating and drinking until he's delivered the punchline. :wave:

Kinsley and I and the rest of the group are happy you can join us! I'll add you to the list and look forward to meeting you! As Twisyguy probably mentioned, you're in good company up your way as far as board members are concerned.

Welcome! 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

Welcome, Gary! Twistyguy is responsible for a 5 minute belly laugh - complete with tears - at last year's START in Blowing Rock. Word to the wise -  when he's telling a story, it's best to stop eating and drinking until he's delivered the punchline. :wave:

Kinsley and I and the rest of the group are happy you can join us! I'll add you to the list and look forward to meeting you! As Twisyguy probably mentioned, you're in good company up your way as far as board members are concerned.

Welcome! 

We are still laughing about that dinner. 

And welcome.

Terry

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gary, welcome.  I did a 10 year stint in DC early in my career, living in Woodley Park, Chevy Chase (DC side), then Bethesda MD after getting married.  It looks like that photo of your C was a while ago, since those roads around the front and back of the White House were open to drivers back in the day, but have been closed to traffic for some time (or you have special access).

Now we live in Charlotte, which has great proximity to the mountains and is a wonderful area to ride.  I look forward to meeting you at START and seeing if we have any friends in common.

Randy Shields

• Like 2

I was really surprised to see a guy wearing the red-brimmed BMW motorcycle training hat from Greer , SC walking around Trader Joes!  Of course I immediately stopped supervising my kids to talk to a fellow motorcycle enthusiast.  (My wife wasn't amused--oh well.) When I found out he rode a S1000XR, I knew he was our type of rider and would be a good fit with the group.

Welcome to the forum Gary!  I can honestly say that BMWST is the best thing I've done in motorcycling.  Not only has the group opened me up to a whole new world of absolutely amazing roads that I would NEVER have found myself , but it has also brought me great friends who share my 2-wheel passion. I've learned a whole lot from these guys--they know motorcycles! I look forward to riding with you in WV.  Bob, Marc and Barry live close by--it would be great for us to do a tune up ride soon.  I really hope you'll be able to make it down to START--you won't regret it.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, twistyguy said:

(My wife wasn't amused--oh well.)

We should start a support group. Maybe get together twice a year in the  Spring and Fall? :5147:

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

We should start a support group. Maybe get together twice a year in the  Spring and Fall? :5147:

Absolutely! It would be so beneficial. 

• Like 2

Thank you all for the warm welcome.  As far as the R12c, the reddish color is original.  It wasn't as popular as the creme which is what James Bond rode.  As for a the picture,  I once had a job that gave me access but no more.  It was a great place to work and it was probably the safest place to park in DC!  I'm looking forward to meeting and riding with you.  Peter, Marc, Barry and Bob or anyone else in the area:  Let's do a day trip to Antietam once it warms up a little.  I'm always up to stop at Nutters ice cream (my favorite) in Sharpsburg.

That color on your C may be either be Amarena Red Metallic (like mine!!) or Canyon Red.  In photographs, I have yet to tell the difference between the 2. 

All these threads later and someone points out the background of that C.  I never noticed; all I saw was the cruiser that looked like mine.  Is that bad?    I had to go back a take a look to see what  RandyShields was referring to.  HA

53 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

1.all I saw was the cruiser that looked like mine.  Is that bad?   

2. I had to go back a take a look to see what  RandyShields was referring to.  HA

1. No Sir!

2. Nothing new here. You'll get used to it. :16:  :3:

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

Welcome aboard.  You're likely to bring up the average.:classic_laugh:

True enough, but it doesn't take much! :whistle:  :rofl: