IGNORED

2019 R1250RT rear fender

wbw6cos

Greetings,

Does anyone know what the two holes (red arrows) below the tag on the rear fender are used for?  What type of fasteners or screws can be used for attaching a small plate (around that size?)

I plan to attach a small metal plate with a decorative decal donated by a very generous board member (THANKS Indy Dave!)  I will search the local home supply facility for a suitable piece to attach.  Just want to know what fasteners (OEM?) I can use to attach it with.  

I could do some searching on Max fische under 2018 chassis for RT, but figured on being lazy and ask here first.

Cheers,

20190224_160635-1_LI (2).jpg

BMW sells an extra brake light that mounts in those holes.  One other thing..you can loosen that screw above and pull that rear fender down quite a bit helping keep  mud off your bike.

1 hour ago, Skywagon said:

BMW sells an extra brake light that mounts in those holes.  One other thing..you can loosen that screw above and pull that rear fender down quite a bit helping keep  mud off your bike.

Thanks for the reply.  I will check into mounting options with that in mind..  

I appreciate you letting me know about extending the fender down.  After about 2-3 weeks of riding in the rain, the sun shined today, which allowed me to wash it.  Deifinitely, I will be looking into a front fender extender to help keep the crud off the new, pretty engine front.

There are several fender extenders for the front.  I used this one.  The main reason is no holes drilled or required.  It cost more than others but works great for me.  It will virtually eliminate your engine getting muddy and it looks like it belongs on the bike.  Others will weigh in with their personal favorite.  The one thing I think is required for BMW and I don't know why they don't fix this; is a bigger foot on the side stand.  That little puny foot is terrible in dirt, soft anything, and even really hot pavement.  It is always my first add on.  I think I got my foot extender from Wunderlich...again one of the more expensive ones, but I like it's look better.

https://machineartmoto.com/products/avant/avant-r1200-rt_lc-all-years/

• Like 1

Thanks for the link.  I need to contact them to ask about clearance between the extension and the front winglets (not sure of the exact term) at the lower sides of the engine.  I have measured 13/16" between those and the tire.  We shall see.

The more I read and think about it, the more I want to get the side stand foot extension.  I may get one from Ilium Works when I order the new engine guards.

Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks.  I had it in the back of my mind about those plates.  I even have one hanging on my wall in The Mancave and looking at it, I did not think it would be the same size.  I guess I should have actually used it to check.

I have also seen a "rear fog light" in a parts fische, figuring that could mount there as well (thanks Skywagon.)

Cheers,

William, I installed the Machine Art Moto front fender extender shortly after buying the 2018 RT.

But I don’t know if there being clearance issues with the spoiler on the ShiftCam RT.

D98605B4-9723-45AF-B903-DB5C2A2F6175.thumb.jpeg.8e466264c7193c41d0db0b48799d4226.jpegB141A799-E63F-4F1B-8324-4E4F78D3C8AF.thumb.jpeg.f83e7a5926b6de2e4954dfa95a16cc07.jpeg

If you need me to take some measurements, for clearances, I can.

As for the two holes in the rear fender, I just installed to reflective buttons, like the ones you can use to mount a your tag.

4A1D083C-9FCC-4647-B6A5-A42C3665871C.thumb.jpeg.44fe49ac42102a3419c3cf8d482f61f0.jpeg

13 hours ago, RTinNC said:

IMG_3030-600x438.jpg

Did you make that one yourself?  I've been looking for one of those.  Actually 2 of them since I have 2 RT's.

Thanks.

No... a guy on the K1600 site makes the as the RT and K1600 use the same rear section.   I am out of town until Friday but happy to share all the details once I get home.

It is looking pretty tight on the R1250.  Not sure the extent of the need for those to be that close to the tire.  I will check with the tech to see how bad they are needed to be in place..  As far as I can tell, they are mainly for looks with some function for aerodynamics.  I am really hesitant to start butchering anything yet.

I still may get a fender extender anyway and post the results for future queries.  I get a feeling that at a standstill, they may clear the winglets, but in motion the wind may push the bottom back a tad.  I have more research to do.

Bernie, if you have a moment between coffee fills, would you measure the outside of that fender to the tire?   My photo may give you an idea for measurements.  No rush.

Thanks, that would be super.

20190131_181333-1.jpg

As you can tell from this picture, the fender extender really hugs the tire. It does flare out a little, but it is too stiff to flex from any air flow.

I will try to get some measurements in the morning. 

I would not cut the spoiler, but if needed you could cut off a section of the bottom of the fender extender.

But I would call them and see if he already is redesigning his extender or maybe he needs a test bike to get it perfected.

The nice thing is that you don't have to drill any holes in the original fender to fit it.

That allows you to fit it and try it for clearance on the center stand. You can then always return it.

A4oIHsTwTTWGsRXZTk0Rzw.thumb.jpg.ce06301a614379c30a50f6700b7c05ba.jpg

7 hours ago, RTinNC said:

From MachineArtMoto web site

Avant RT1250 no drill front fender extension for the new R1250 RT will be available in mid-Spring

Thanks.  As far as having a newer generation bike, I am finding that most of the drop down menus for selecting make, year, model, etc, the R1250RT is not listed as an option yet.  Give it time.  I have yet to start looking into getting the fender extension.  Thanks for letting me know about the release date.

As I understand it, the new RT is base on current chassis, but the motor has changed and that comes with issues ordering accessories that are not quite compatible yet.  Case in point, my Ilium Works crash bars  for the rear are already installed, but the ones for the engine are still in R&D with an expected ship date the first of April.

...........patience

21 hours ago, RTinNC said:

No... a guy on the K1600 site makes the as the RT and K1600 use the same rear section.   I am out of town until Friday but happy to share all the details once I get home.

I had messaged the guy over there.  He was only doing K1600 badges at the time.  He used the GPS cover plate to make the K1600 versions.  He never mentioned the BMW badge one.  Which I'd be fine with.

1 hour ago, 92Merc said:

I had messaged the guy over there.  He was only doing K1600 badges at the time.  He used the GPS cover plate to make the K1600 versions.  He never mentioned the BMW badge one.  Which I'd be fine with.

Hmmmm.... not sure if that is the same guy as the K1600 and RT are the exact same part.   It is machined aluminum and painted black.  Then he gives you the BMW part number for the roundel that fits perfectly into his bracket.

51 minutes ago, RTinNC said:

Hmmmm.... not sure if that is the same guy as the K1600 and RT are the exact same part.   It is machined aluminum and painted black.  Then he gives you the BMW part number for the roundel that fits perfectly into his bracket.

The guy you need to contact over at the K1600 forum is GARRS.  The product works for both the K1600 and the R1200RT as the rear fender is the same.

I have one on my RT and it came off of a K1600GT when I traded bikes.

Bill

6 minutes ago, 92Merc said:

I sent him a PM.  Hopefully he'll respond.  BTW, it's actually GARS with one R.

Thanks.

OOPS, it has been a while since I had contacted him.

Bill

2 hours ago, Bill Spurgeon said:

The guy you need to contact over at the K1600 forum is GARRS.  The product works for both the K1600 and the R1200RT as the rear fender is the same.

I have one on my RT and it came off of a K1600GT when I traded bikes.

Bill

Not sure about the name but yep exactly the same.  Bracket is about $28 and roundel is about $60.

On 2/25/2019 at 9:32 PM, RTinNC said:

From MachineArtMoto web site

Avant RT1250 no drill front fender extension for the new R1250 RT will be available in mid-Spring

Just a experiential word about the front fender extender/options. On my hexhead, I added a front fender extender - I don't recall the brand, but it attached with two small screws that bore through the original plastic fender. To me, no big deal. I was happy enough. But ignorance is bliss. When I bought my Camhead  the header crossbar was free of the normal gunk from the road. It was obvious the previous owner had used (and now removed) something substantially better than what I had been employing on the Hexhead. With no holes in the original fender, I can only conclude that he had been using the Machine Art Moto Fender Bernie is referring to. I balked at the price originally,  but noticing how crudded up my front is now in only a relative short amount of riding time, I broke down and bought the Machine Art Moto fender. It arrived today - thankfully before Mrs Indy Dave came home :whistle: .

BTW - it's currently on sale: $79.00 $55.30. I'm hoping my off road adventures won't cause a conflict with the fenders increased coverage. :stir: :ohboy:

Edited by Indy Dave
14 hours ago, Pappy35 said:

I bought the MachineArt extender. Fits really nicely and was worth every penny.

After balking at the price i finally gave in to logic and bought it. It was the first modification i made to my 2016, it keeps the engine cleaner by far.  Being on sale makes it a better offer.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

So funny to see the two holes being used for the big Rondel.....I also had one on my garge wall and put it there too.     Mine was for an old X5 which was missing one from theft. Got 2 on ebay they were so cheap (aftermarket) in case it was stolen again. I agree it looks good there.  As for the front fender extension, I think the clip-on shown above works nice but did not like the looks of it.  There are several which follow the fender shape and width and taper down nicely and stick on with industrial tape.  Works great. Oviously you need it cleaned per instructions (my kit came with alcholol wipes)  before sticking it on. Pyramid Plastics on Ebay, from England.   $35.00