IGNORED

Jump start or battery charger plug r1100rs

Blaccat

HI all.

Excuse my ignorace but I have a 1994 r1100rs and the battery is dead. I understand there is a connecter plug to charge it up without removing? I have added a picture of what i have but not sure if that is the correct plug, if it is, can anyone advise what charger connection I need for it ? Cheers Paul 

20190217_155009.jpg

You should be able to charge your battery from that port. On later model bikes those ports are "switched" and only work when the ignition is on, but yours (I believe - I know it was true of the first Oilhead RTs) should be "hot" all the time. 

That connection is referred to as a Powerlet, Hella, DIN or BMW connection. (Fairly common Euro standard port - not very common here in the US). Some chargers (Battery Tender brand for instance) will include that connector, or you can get one online or at a local dealer. 

That port is fused, so you can't use it for a jump-start, but it will work to charge. 

edit to add:

if you have an SAE connector on your charger you can get an adapter from amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/OptiMATE-CABLE-Adapter-BIKE-plug/dp/B008S9LG3U

41tQlUtYrUL._SX425_.jpg.4ed995bef640cc2e9a423c172c07d20e.jpg

1 hour ago, Blaccat said:

HI all.

Excuse my ignorace but I have a 1994 r1100rs and the battery is dead. I understand there is a connecter plug to charge it up without removing? I have added a picture of what i have but not sure if that is the correct plug, if it is, can anyone advise what charger connection I need for it ? Cheers Paul 

Afternoon Blaccat

The connector that you need goes by a few names from DIN to John Deere to BMW  to PowerLet.

Here is the PowerLet   one (link below).

You can also stop by your local John Deere dealer & they should have one.

Now, the exact connector (type)   that  you need depends on how you want to hook your battery charger to the connector as you can get a direct wire (shown in link) or an adapter type connector depending on what's on your battery charger now.

http://www.powerlet.com/product/powerlet-straight-plug/276

Added: you also have a couple of other options  from adding an SAE type fused pig tail to your battery so you have a semi-permanent battery charging connector to use.

Or, BMW offers  a jump starting lug (kit)  to add to your starter's  B+ cable stud & that not only allows direct  battery charging (using your battery charger's spring clips) but also allows direct jump starting from another vehicle.

• 1 year later...

I purchased a 206821178_ScreenShot2021-02-11at9_00_32AM.thumb.png.18791e63b8e2b03da2d9c06316cbf70d.png

and quick connected this to my diehard battery charger but the LED blinking on the charger shows that the "clamps are reversed". Is this a problem and is there a solution? I connected the charger to the side connector on the bike

1 hour ago, christianf said:

I purchased a 206821178_ScreenShot2021-02-11at9_00_32AM.thumb.png.18791e63b8e2b03da2d9c06316cbf70d.png

and quick connected this to my diehard battery charger but the LED blinking on the charger shows that the "clamps are reversed". Is this a problem and is there a solution? I connected the charger to the side connector on the bike

Morning  christianf

Yes it is a problem. 

You are hijacking someone else's  thread on a different problem so if you start a new thread of YOUR problem we will be more then happy to help you solve YOUR problem.