IGNORED

Sump Pump Help

ltljohn

Once again I have come to consult the Oracle.  I need to replace my primary sump pump. The switch is sticking intermittently and it is old enough that I want to replace it before anything else fails.  Wet basements are no fun.  I have a completely independent back-up so no big hurry.  There are many choices out there so what do you have that works?  What brands/models have you found that are reliable?  I am working with a 10 ft head so I don't need more that 1/3 hp.   Cost is not my greatest concern as $300 for a good reliable system is far cheaper than a wet basement.  Thanks in advance.

Truthfully, i haven't found any big quality difference in the stock sump pumps that can be bought at a big box hardware store.  I have one in the sump, and a spare on the shelf next to it.  When the one that's pumping fails, I'll put the spare in and buy another backup.  You can spend big $$$ on a pump that's rated to move water mixed with mud/sewage, but I don't really see the need.   If you have a good backup, just get a goo  mid-quality pump.

Back when I lived In IL  I used Zoeller pumps. Always good to have a spare on the shelf

in case. I needed mine one stormy night when the in service pump sucked up a piece of

gravel and stalled. A quick swap and back in business. Repaired the stuck pump later and put it on the shelf as the spare.

When  we added a sun room to the house the city required a 2d pump. I put in a Watch Dog

with the battery backup. Nice set up but the battery was a pain to keep in service and at the

time only their group 27 would not set off the battery alarm.

Now in Oklahoma  the house is on a slab but I still have a pump to keep ground water from

flowing under the slab. I looked at it when I bought the place and it is a Zoeller.

Your are right wet basements suck.

I have the basement watchdog as a backup.  The battery is a pain but it worked for 8 days with only one charge off the generator after 4 days when Sandy blew through here.  Zoeller is one I was looking at.

Ended up buying a Zoeller pump.  The one at Lowe's has the same model number listed on the Zoeller website.  Quick easy installation and all is well.