IGNORED

Engine rattle on '06 R1200RT

BeemerEric

I get a rattle in the engine at low rpm like around 2500-3000 or so. This is wile I am accelerating under load, I been told this is normal and I have close to 700 miles on the bike. Will this change as the engine gets broken in more? The 600 mile service was performed...and there were no issues.

I have it in mine at 3,600 miles. I think it's a characteristic of a high compression boxer engine. You have to learn to live with it... and choose a lower gear.

ShovelStrokeEd

With the exception of pulling away from a stop in first gear, you should not be operating the engine in that low an RPM range. Try keeping the revs above 3000 at a minimum and all should be fine. I actually like to stay above 3500 on my boxer bikes. The engine doesn't mind at all.

Ed is right about keeping the RPM up a bit. It will help with what you are experiencing. The 1200 is bit more foregiving than the 1150 at low RPM but it is still best to keep the RPMs up. Ed's suggestion of over 3000 is a good one. I generally pick a gear that keeps the bike in the 3-5,000 rpm range.

Although I've been on my initial 600 and keeping pretty much below the 4k limit, it does seem things get smoother higher in the range. After the first service it's going to be another learning experience to get used to running with more rpms.

Archived