IGNORED

Autocom Questions

rickmoen

I'm about to pull the trigger on an Autocom system on my '05 R1200RT. Of course, there are questions that need answers. What better place to ask than this forum! I'd like to mount the autocom unit (planning on the Super Pro AVI, new for '06) under the seat and let the bike power the unit. I just received my new XM Roady XT satelite radio system. I want to mount that on the left (clutch side) of the bike using RAM mounts from CycleGadgets.com. I'll bet they'll know exactly what I'll need to mount the radio! I want to have this bike powered. I already have a BMW Nav II GPS (bike powered) installed by my dealer. Here's where my vision gets fuzzy. I want to have my iPod (3rd generation, but may upgrade) hooked up also and be bike powered. Do those of you having done this already use Apple's dock for power and sound out or something else? How/where do you mount your 'Pod for riding? Cabeling seems to be a real problem to me. I know that the top of the iPod has an output port for earbuds or headphones. What about a cell phone? Right now, I must be one of hundred or so people on the planet that does not have a cell phone! My wife wants me to have one for my upcoming travels (probably a good idea!). Does the cell phone mount on something like the XM radio RAM mounts or on its own cradle for charging and output? Does it stay out in the open while riding or go somewhere else? If I wanted to make a call, I know that I should pull off the road to do so, but I guess its OK to accept an incoming call while riding and talk? The autocom system should handle the rider to passenger (wife) conversations with ease. Now, what about bike to bike? This something that I won't need for a while. A buddy hasn't had enough bake sales and carwashes to get his own RT, yet. (But he will!) If I read the autocom advertising correctly, this can be added later. Is this something I should have wired now or wait? If it is done now, could I ride and talk to a total stranger or is this a more "particular" (type of radio? channel?) feature?

In my four months on this (wonderful) website, I haven't seen these topics discussed. If they have, sorry!

I already ordered a set of autocom helmet speakers. (The Autocom system will come with another set for the passenger.) However, these helmet speakers have a 7-pin DIN connector at the end of the cable. I assume that this will plug directly into the Autocom system, but is there a cable/connector that would allow installation of the helmet speakers and use of an iPod and/or XM radio?

Thanks, Rick

The Autocom unit will accomodate all the items you mentioned. I think if you look at the wiring diagram that comes with the Autocom, it will show you how to connect all the items you mentioned. Specific "leads" will be required but can be purchased from Autocom America or your local dealer. Powering your devices should be done by adding a fused terminal block to the bike that is switched by a relay. If any of your devices need something different than 12V, you will need to use some kind of voltage converter. I believe the XM comes with one built into the power adapter. Your ipod will also probably need some kind of voltage adapter but they should be available. One of the key things to remember when wiring your autocom is to use a dedicated clean ground wire "directly to the battery grount". This will really help keeping your signals clean. On bike-to-bike, autocom does have a "bike powered" adapter for the Kenwood GMRS radio that is really nice but many use just battery operater FRSs with no problem also. Getting all this hooked up and working is not a 2 hour job. Plan on a full day. Keep your wire/lead runs short and all your connections clean. Good luck

Hi Rick,

Having done this installation with Autocom Pro M1 four times between my R1150RT and my K1200S along with the Bluesea and Centech

AP1 fused power blocks I can tell you it is quite a bit of work. I would suggest that you get the Autocom

isolated leads with 3.5 mm stereo jacks for any accessories that will be bike powered and you will be listening to through your

Autocom. I am sure others will disagree but I have never been able to get good clean audio signals without the isolated leads. Some

have had good luck without using the isolated leads but that has not been my experience.

You will need one of these to connect to your iPod and the other end goes into the Autocom.

You will also need one for your cell phone and for each of the other accessories that feed sound into the Autocom. You may also need

a two into one 3.5 mm stereo jack splitter as I am not sure how many of the female 3.5 mm ports are on the newer Autocom units.

With respect to getting a cell phone you will want one that can be set to hands-free autoanswer.

Search for cell phones and you should find numerous posts about this subject. The Autocom comes with the speakers

voice activated microphone (VOX) and all cables and connectors to connect your helmet to the Autocom so there is no wiring required

other than installing the headsets into the helmets and plugging these items together.

With respect to powering your iPod and cell phone I would highly suggest the Powerlet SAE/Dual Cigar Outlet - PAC-030

to provide power to the cigarette lighter style chargers for these units. Any 12 volt cigarette style power adapter designed for your

accessories and car use will fit into these adapters. I use a car cigarette lighter adapter from Belkin for my iPod. You will

also need a Powerlet SAE/SAE CABLE - PAC-022-40 which you will cut one end off to connect to your fuse block should you

chose to go this route. The other end will connect to the Powerlet PAC-030. You will have to decide on whether you are

going to put your goodies in a tank bag (Search for powered tank bags, there are lots of posts and pictures) Or, are

you going to use RAM mounts or some type of shelf system. The XM Radios can be directly wired to the bike power source

or the fuse block. I beleive they come with their own 12 volt power supply. If you chose to do a fused power block installation

to power accessories I would recommend a Centch AP1 fuse block. This unit is extremely compact with a

stainless steel cover that is easy to wire and requires no soldering to connect the wires feeding power to your accessories.

The Bluesea is nice but not as compact and you need to use ring connectors to wire your accessories to this unit which requires soldering.

The Autocom is bike-to-bike ready so you only have to purchase the additional cable(s) and radio

to get this capability. For bike to bike you have two options, VOX only or a Push To Talk (PTT) switch.

Last but most importantly, get together all the parts and pieces that will be installed and lay them out the way they will be installed

on your bike (Pre-assembly). Take measurements of the cable lengths and map these onto your bike to make sure you have enough room

and that the cables are long enough to reach where you intend to install components. I can not emphasize this enough

because in many cases it is a pain in the rump to re-run cables AFTER you find they won't reach, are up against something

that will melt them or you have zip tied them.

I hope that helps.

Cheers!

Todd

(I have no affiliation with any of these companies. I just like and use their products based on the

recommendations of BMWSporttouring members.)

The Farkle Bar has brackets for it all. I used part of the BMW Nav 2 mount for the RT handbars for the mounting the GPS onto the Farkle Bar. It clamps on perfectly. You can mount just about anything on the bar. The price is reasonable as well. It would be perfect for those adding the Sony Marine radio remote. I used the handle bar set back for extra clearance. It lets me set more upright. Go to farklecity.com and you can see really big clear pictures of the set up.

Welcome Rick...

I second the purchase of isolated leads from autocom. I did not have clean sound until I did. And I think for some GPS', you need a special lead from autocom so you don't fry the output amp on the GPS.

For your cell phone: I totally agree with hands-free and autoanswer. Consider them safety features. If you're going to use the phone on the bike you want to set it up so you do not have to touch it. I would go one step further and recommend a blue tooth phone so you don't have to mount/dismount and connect/disconnect the phone everytime you get on/off your bike. That becomes a real pain in the butt really quickly. smile.gif search this formus for "HF 820" for more information on one way to do this.

For my phone set up, I have a motorola razr, the hf 820, appropriate autocom leads, and an autocom pro-7. the voice dialing works extremely well. The phone rings through to the headset (some phones don't). And the sound is very clear for both the caller and myself.

Archived