IGNORED

Shock life expectancy

Matts_12GS

Greetings from the Northeast!

I just sold my old faithful hexhead GS and am looking to replace it with a newer model, camhead/wethead still TBD.  I'm seeing some sweet deals in the used market in the mid 20,000 mile range.

I know that oilheads and hexhead had a 30,000 mile practical shock replacement window for years, is that still valid with the newer ESA units?  

Hey Matt. I am at 36K and am starting to feel some degradation in the dynamic ESA shocks that came with my bike and will probably replace them in the next year. As a comparison I replaced my shocks on my 07 GS at 30K so the dynamic ESA shocks seem to last longer than the standard units. Alan (Foot) just replaced his and I believe he has around 50K on them.

• 3 weeks later...

Matt,  like Chris I started noticing the shocks degrade at 35K, by 50K they were toast. After a lot of research and talking to Ted at the Beemer Shop, I went with the Tractive Conversion shocks. 2K price tag is mid range on what you can spend.

Here a picture of the shocks from Tractive and what you have to take of to change out the front.

It's a PITA to change out the front one. 20190122_165059.thumb.jpg.fab22ed774d4a21cbdb10f0d08e831ef.jpg20190202_102232.thumb.jpg.a31c2048fb1c622dc3fce7411ed658b3.jpg

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Matts_12GS said:

Thanks Allen!

I'm even more excited that my new bike only has 4,500 miles on it after seeing this.

No pictures, it doesn't exist:3:

• Like 1

I like the 4500 mile freshness of the beast! :thumbsup: Don't remember if it came up in the conversation, but have you ridden a wethead anything? If not get ready for a lot of :classic_biggrin:.

Pat, you are right about that.  I rode a camhead and liquid cooled back to back and that sealed the deal for be.

I'm really excited to get it and start doing the farkling!

• 4 weeks later...

It's close enough to black to be cool. ;) Actually, it looks very similar to my first BMW, the 94 RSL with the "classic  black" paint color. I think it was called classic black, anyway. I'm beginning to forget even the important stuff. :D