IGNORED

Michelin PR 5 GT Tires

Mike05

I mounted a set of Michelin Road 5 tires (pr 5's) last year on an R1200 RT, anticipating the GT version would be introduced shortly thereafter as originally advertised.  Great tire, especially in the wet and/or for day rides but not for long trips.

I have a renewed interest in the GT version but  it doesn't appear Michelin has announced a new date when they will be available.

Anyone have news about the Michelin Road 5 GT?  Or an alternative brand of long-trip GT tires for the RT?

Thoughts/comments appreciated.

I thought Michelin was recommending not putting the Road 5s on sport touring bikes, only naked bikes and lighter sport tourers like the R.  Have you felt any squishiness with the sides of the tires on your RT?

"MICHELIN Road 5 Standard versus the GT version

The above sizes of MICHELIN Road 5 tires are designed for naked bikes and roadsters such as the Triumph Street Triple and the Suzuki SV650.
Heavier grand touring bikes such as the BMW R 1200 RT or the Kawasaki 1400 GTR require the GT version of MICHELIN Road 5, which will become available in 2019. Until then please choose MICHELIN Pilot Road 4 GT tires."

Randy,

Thanks for the update on the expected introduction of the GT's sometime this year; I'll keep an eye out for them. 

As to what these tires do on a long trip I don't like, they don't last as long as the GT version.  Around town they are fine but for an extended trip, not so much. 

I've run the non-GT version on the '05 RT for years without any "squishiness" issues but definitely prefer the GT tire for long mileage trips. 

I never used the GT version and had nothing but delight with all the PR tires, and several that I ran more than 13 or `14,000 miles.  The set I have on my bike now has 14+ k miles.  I have the 5s, I just don't have them on yet.

I bought them and did not read they were not for the R1200RT.  I still don't understand that what with my prior experience.

I think I will just do what I was going to do and ignore this as an 'issue'.  It probably isn't.

dc

Hey, where did my avatar go?

• 7 months later...

Simply put they use  a heavier carcass in the the tire on the GT's so it can better handle the weight.  Its not likely any rubber compound differences, more of strenght in the fabric.  Spoke to engineers at Dunlop and they said the reason they have no GT version of their RoadMax series is that they normally use a heavier carcass on all their tires so no need for any special versions. Its why they have better impact absorbstion as well because the carcass is  not as stressed.  I like that fact they also put quite a bit more rubber 'after the tread is gone' so you don't see cords right after they pattern is gone from the middle.