IGNORED

Sirius Satellite Radio

pbbeck

Browsing this forum, it seems a lot of you have XM satellite radios installed on your bikes. Does anyone have a recommendation for a Sirius satellite receiver that I can mount on my RT?

Yep- the Sirius Starmate (older version) or I believe they have a new radio out that is about the same flavor (size) as the starmate( Edit: it is called the Streamer) Fits on the XM mount that cyclegadgets sells to fit the clutch reservoir and makes a clean little install.

No relation to cyclegadgets, but I believe they sell the radio, mount as a combination.

I found through testing/experience/etc that the best antenna setup is to purchase the home kit for your starmate and use the home style antenna on your bike. I have mine mounted on a RCU shelf along side the Radar detector and it works 500% better than the standard magnet mount.

Good luck - a good installation of Satellite radio on your bike is worth the time and $$ .

I love Sirius and have the "old" Starmate. It's great because it doesn't need amplification, but the connectors are weak. I use rubber bands to add "pressure" I was able to buy one NIB and one slightly used off ebay for half-price so I would have spares. You might check this out.

Thanks for the responses. The Streamer GT looks promising. Does the Cycle Gadget mount screw directly onto the clutch resevoir housing using existing screws only, or is some sort of adapter required?

Also, what are my power options? Where do I get power from the bike? Since the Streamer GT has a built-in amp, can I run it throught he AUX input on the radio?

Thanks for putting up with my questions! confused.gif

Thanks for the responses. The Streamer GT looks promising. Does the Cycle Gadget mount screw directly onto the clutch resevoir housing using existing screws only, or is some sort of adapter required?

Also, what are my power options? Where do I get power from the bike? Since the Streamer GT has a built-in amp, can I run it throught he AUX input on the radio?

Thanks for putting up with my questions! confused.gif

I have the Starmate Replay unit. It mounts to the reservoir mount that Cyclegadgets sells. Its slimer than the Starmate and streamer.... pictures here

Mount screws onto the clutch reservoir with custom screws included with mount. Power can be from any switched source-

Are you trying to interface with the built in radio? Cant help you there OM....mine interfaces to autocomm through a ground loop isolated cable....(necessary)..

Hope this helps

How are you guys getting your audio out from the Streamer/Starmate? I guess there are several options, and I'd like some opinions one which way to go:

1) Straight into earbuds

2) Wired it into the AUX input on the radio

3) Using the integrated FM transmitter to broadcast to an FM station

4) Using an antenna adapter to pipe the audio into the antenna input on the radio

Depends on your setup- The Aux input solution keeps you from having to change transmit frequencies as you go through different areas, The earbud, if comfortable is probably the best sound you will hear out of all the choices. Dont understand your #4 choice- but FM to FM Radio if installed works too. That is how I use it in the cage, I wire direct to auxiliary input on my bike. As per last post, you need to connect via a ground loop isolation lead/transformer to keep the audio clean by preventing the inevitable ground loops caused from different power inputs on your bike. It is really up to you- they all work well. Except #4. Dont know how you would do that anyway.........)

Good Luck

Regarding #4, I'm probably not describing it well, but the way it was explained to me, there's an FM out jack which connects with an adapter directly to the antenna input on the back of the radio. The sat radio adapter sits between the actual radio antenna and the input and pipes audio directly into the selected frequency via the antenna.

Boy that sounds like someone is making a very simple thing very 'not simple'. I have had 2 Sirius sat radios now and they both simply transmit the audio signal to an 'open freq' on the FM band of your radio, or you can choose a 'quiet' freq in your area and select that freq on the sat radio as the one you want to use.

All you have to do really is turn both radios on... thumbsup.gif

Jim

Archived