IGNORED

k1200rs fluids

jpvic

since my bike came with a "rider's manual," and not an "owner's manual," i'm lacking some basic info. can anyone tell my the fluid types and amounts for an 03 k1200rs? specifically, i need gearbox, rear drive, and forks. thanks.

john

JerryMather

From BMW Service & Technical Booklet for a 98 KRS:

Transmission Oil:

Brand - name hypoid gear oil, API class GL5

0.85 quarts

Rear wheel drive:

0.24 quarts

Viscosity class @ outside temp.

Above 41 F - SAE 90

Below 41 F - SAE 90

alternatively - SAE 80 W 90

ShovelStrokeEd

I have had really good luck with Mobil 1 full synthetic gear oil SAE 75w140 in my BMW transmissions and final drives. Quantities as above.

I don't think the fork oil much matters. Somebody else will have to come up with a quantity but any 5 or 10w fork oil should work, it is only there to keep the seals lubricated. When you drain the leg, measure what came out and replace with a like quantity.

i'M uSING "RedLine Shockproof" oil in my rear drive and tranny.

Mobil 1 // or // Amsoil 15-50 in my crankcase

Rich06FJR1300

i use redline in my tranny but not in the final drive. I've had problems with it foaming and spewing out of the vent.

i use redline in my tranny but not in the final drive. I've had problems with it foaming and spewing out of the vent.

I suggest thou needst look into that. Redline is great stuff (like much else out there), and anything akin to the proper quantity of 75W-140 GEAR oil shouldn't be foaming in a normally configured and operating Final Drive. Even for an FJR1300 which only holds a cup of the stuff.

Best wishes.

JerryMather

As much as I liked Redline, I to was having the same problem with it coming out of my vent when I used it in my RT. I was cleaning the stuff off the wheel more times than I wanted. I checked the vent for blockage a few times and never saw anything wrong with it and always filled the drive up to the correct level.

Archived