IGNORED

Electric windshield drive

RAMBLIN RED

Windshield adj. stopped suddenly. Seems the four exposed pivot pins were far to stiff and caused the nylon worm drive gear to strip. So, parts on order, but I did not see any limit switches to limit travel and I wonder how this is accomplished. Also, does anyone know where to position the arms for a start point? 2000 R11RT

9 minutes ago, RAMBLIN RED said:

Windshield adj. stopped suddenly. Seems the four exposed pivot pins were far to stiff and caused the nylon worm drive gear to strip. So, parts on order, but I did not see any limit switches to limit travel and I wonder how this is accomplished. Also, does anyone know where to position the arms for a start point? 2000 R11RT

Morning RAMBLIN RED

The limit switches are inside the motor assembly.

I haven't seen any specific info on re-timing the limits to the axle position.

I'm pretty  sure that someone has done a write-up on re-timing (someplace). I haven't done one in quite a while now but on the ones that I have done long ago  I cheated as I had another (unmolested) motor assembly here to match the timing up to.

If you can't find anything on timing then you will probably have to take a few assembly tries until you get it timed correctly.

27 minutes ago, RAMBLIN RED said:

...Seems the four exposed pivot pins were far to stiff and caused the nylon worm drive gear to strip. ....

Are you sure?  These elements normally do not represent 'that much' resistance. I would have a close look over the whole mechanism. Trying to motor the screen down with something jammed in the gap may cause the problem. 

1 hour ago, AndyS said:

Are you sure?  These elements normally do not represent 'that much' resistance. I would have a close look over the whole mechanism. Trying to motor the screen down with something jammed in the gap may cause the problem. 

Andy, they were so stiff  I used penetrating oil over two days to loosen two of them, then after bracing the arms I used a drift punch to drive them out. I think it is the salt air where I live.