IGNORED

How much space????

Rougarou

Now that folks can upload pics to the site and make galleries and post pics,.....what is the size limit, everything has limitations.

If folks are uploading their happy snaps at the cyclic rate, space may become an issue in some sort of future.

Just curious as I've not been a part of a board that had unlimited space to host this stuff.

It looks like the images are stored on Amazon's S3 system so there doesn't HAVE to be a limit. Of course at some point the cost of storing and serving all those images may become an issue.

1 hour ago, Killer said:

It looks like the images are stored on Amazon's S3 system so there doesn't HAVE to be a limit. Of course at some point the cost of storing and serving all those images may become an issue.

correct

The standard storage for the invision is S3.  They already have the hooks in place to connect .  Invision only provides a standard storage amount.  They expect the customer to add on their own. 

Since we figured we'd need additional beyond the standard package we just configured an S3 bucket and entered the appropriate credentials in the package and automagicly it all works :16:

1 hour ago, Living the Dream said:

what is the size limit, everything has limitations.

Pictures in general are 1200 x 1200 

3 minutes ago, chrisolson said:

Pictures in general are 1200 x 1200 

Sorry, wasn't asking size limit, I was asking space limitations.  I see galleries popping up, people throwing pictures on the board, those kb's and mb's add up and at some point in the future, will have to hit some sort of limitation, either space size or somebody funding additional space......but seem you data dinks got it figured out :classic_tongue:

4 minutes ago, Living the Dream said:

Sorry, wasn't asking size limit, I was asking space limitations. 

LOL ... they are related

2 minutes ago, Living the Dream said:

.but seem you data dinks got it figured out

Yep  :5147: 

9 minutes ago, chrisolson said:

LOL ... they are related

Yes and no, depends on the quality.  Higher quality 1200x1200 will take up more space on a drive than a lower quality 1200x1200......guess my terminology is off.

Anyway, you all got it figured out, excuse my ignorance :classic_tongue::classic_tongue:

Just now, Living the Dream said:

Yes and no, depends on the quality.  Higher quality 1200x1200 will take up more space on a drive than a lower quality 1200x1200......guess my terminology is off.

true ... hardly statement anymore is absolute :3:

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Speaking of space, how do you delete your attachments (pictures) when you want to make room for more? :dontknow: 

Gallery images can be deleted but post attachments can not after the 24 hour edit window.  Reason?  Nothing worse than going back to a historical post and seeing broken links.  Although having said that, it is possible to link out of your own gallery into a post and if you delete the gallery pic ... it will create a broken link.

At the current time Members have 500 meg storage allowance.  Attachments in posts are resized for storage so at current limits that equates to around a minimum of 1600 post attachments, assuming 300 kb per attachment , many are much lower so the actual number will be higher.  You can check the size and storage used by clicking  ...

MyAttachment.PNG.c25e7a0c6d5e3075e88cf4bc70d0cb77.PNG

4 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

So, linking a picture from the web into a post for comic or informational purposes is using up our allotted space?

Linking, no ...  uploading, yes. 

However ... member space requirements can be adjusted as needed over time.      We're very early in the game to  have enough data to forecast total site storage accurately because obviously some members never upload, some a bit and others a lot.

If required, expanding members  individual storage limit from 500 meg to accommodate "heavy hitters" will not require an immediate investment.   Our storage is "on demand" via Amazon S3 and is charged as used.  And they've got a lot of storage at reasonable rates. :classic_wink:

Its not like going out and buying a new hard drive. It may incur additional cost but only slowly over time.

Bottom line ?  Upload what you want ... have fun, be informative and enjoy the site ... without worrying. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

I am so grateful for Chris and the rest of the BMWST members he has assembled and asked to shared their knowledge and time to make this new BMWST forum so user friendly and have such improved capabilities!   I, and I assume, many others on the Board have limited or no knowledge of how all of this is done.   Thank you! Thank you!:18:

• Like 1