IGNORED

Gear Review: Helmetlok III, Gearlok and Cable by Rocky Creek Designs

MotoNews

Published in: Gear

rocky-creek-designs-helmetlok-iii-gearlok-cable

If there’s an Achilles’ heel to riding, it’s securing your bike gear while you’re away from it. Even with locking panniers or top box, there’s seldom room for incidentals such as the helmet, boots and riding jacket.

Having the ability to lock up your gear provides huge peace of mind, especially when said gear can easily crest the $1K mark! Once that’s out of the way, it’s easy enough to don lightweight shoes and more appropriate clothing. And there’s nothing like being able to shed that armor to be free to roam.

helmetlok 1

The folks at Rocky Creek Designs (RCD) specialize at solving this problem. They manufacture a line of biker-friendly, practical solutions so that you can enjoy improved security and not fret over whether someone has walked away with your expensive gear.

helmetlok 2All RCD’s products are based on a combo-lock mechanism along with cabling options, depending upon your needs. The Helmetlok III, their latest carabiner-style lock, allows you to secure your D-ringed helmet strap to various surfaces on or off your bike. The Gearlok Double Loop Cable or Gearlok Lock with Cable allow for more options, including helmets without D-rings. Utilizing the cable options, you can also string it through multiple items such as your helmet, the sleeves of your jacket, and a backpack. It’s a simple but practical solution to a huge potential problem.

For years I’ve used similar locking mechanisms that were cobbled together from hardware store finds. But the folks at RCD have dialed their products into a much friendlier and more compact solution, making them ideal for stowing until the next time they’re needed. So much so that I ended up putting away my old cables and locks for the RCD versions. They’re in constant use and I continually come up with creative new ways to use them to foil would-be thieves.

They’ve also priced the products reasonably, especially when you consider the replacement costs of virtually any item that might have been on a thief’s radar.

helmetlok 4

Keep in mind that you can use these locking mechanisms to secure many things to many different surfaces, like hostel dorm rooms, or to the railing at outdoor cafés. These products are a must for any rider. MSRP: Helmetlok III with Extension—$27.50 | Gearlok—$28.95 | Gearlok Double Loop Cable—$15.95 RockyCreekDesigns.com

PROS

CONS

Added security when traveling (and elsewhere)  One more thing to carry (that you will actually need!)
 Good quality construction
 Economical solution to a big potential problem
-pDV8tkF1Kg

View the full article