IGNORED

BMW Factory Alarm System

boxerguy

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with the BMW - DWA 5 Anti-Theft Alarm System?
Possibly thinking of Installing one and wondered if it was worthwhile.  Does it work as designed?
Or Is it a Hokey system, that doesn't warrant the expenditure?

What are your thoughts on Motion activated Disc Locks?

7 hours ago, boxerguy said:

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with the BMW - DWA 5 Anti-Theft Alarm System?
Possibly thinking of Installing one and wondered if it was worthwhile.  Does it work as designed?
Or Is it a Hokey system, that doesn't warrant the expenditure?

What are your thoughts on Motion activated Disc Locks?

Morning boxerguy

That is a difficult decision. Personally I don't have  a lot of use for either but they do have their place for some riders.

If you get a reduced insurance rate if using either then that could help you with your decision.

The DWA system is not much of a problem for the rider to use daily, or every time, but disc locks are a pain to use (at least for me as I am a hop-on hit-the-key then ride off type rider).

It is very difficult to start a newer BMW without a proper key with matching pellet so even without the DWA anti-theft  system the bike isn't going to be started & ridden away.  

When is the last time that anybody has paid attention to a car alarm beeping or flashing in a  parking lot?  (someone might but most don't).

If someone wants your exact bike then they usually have a few helpers &  a pickup truck, enclosed  trailer,  or van then just grab the bike & drag it into the truck or van & are gone in under 30 seconds. Or back up with a tow truck,  hook up a cable,  lift it & are gone.

If someone REALLY WANTS YOUR EXACT BIKE then they will just wait until you return, stick a gun in your face, then politely ask you for your keys & wallet  then ride it away. (that's what happened when cars were made more difficult to hot-wire & steal)

I guess it is a personal decision & some  like the warm fuzzy feeling of extra security & others (like myself) just keep the insurance up to date & don't worry about it.  

Newer BMW motorcycles don't seem to have a big theft demand (at least in my area),  but they do occasionally get backed into & knocked over.    

Good Morning D.R.

I would get a slight break on the Insurance premium I have, but the Payback aspect is too long
to consider.  I don't normally park in areas that would invite theft,  it was just the shock value
of the motion sensor activated part that I thought might be handy in deterring individuals
getting to close and scratching the side cases or other areas of the bike!
It was more for deterring a youth or group of them from fondling the bike when parked for a
brief time at a retail establishment, which I do periodically!

Also, I'm in an RV Park here and the park just had a bunch of kids (for the lack of a better term)
hit about 25 units. They were looking for open vehicles and trailers. Units with barking dogs
didn't get touched!  I'm assuming a place with a screaming alarm might have that similar luxury.