IGNORED

How to remove left handlebar grip, switch, etc... ???

Nick1150

I would like to remove the left system (which includes grip, clutch, flash and horn switches, fluids, etc...) attached on the left handlebar, in order to install an o ring for the radio remote. I unscrew an alen bolt which I guest would free it, but ..... no result crazy.gif The truth is that, because of the absence of the manual, I didn't try hard to pull or push. I am afraid not to damage anything dopeslap.gif.

I am sure its something simple, and easy. I would very much appreciate your help.

Thanks

Nick

steve.foote

Nick,

I sold my manual a while back when I bought the 1200GS, but I remember that there is a set screw which holds the grip in place. I think it's under the grip rubber on one of the ends.

The switch housing is removed by unscrewing several (four I think) screws around and under the housing. If I were you, I'd get a hold of the manual as some of these screws are somewhat hidden.

One thing is certain, there is nothing which needs to be forced. Everything comes apart and goes back together without force.

If you peel the edge of the grip closest to the t/s switch back you should find a set screw going through the grip housing into the bar at the top and bottom of the housing. After disconnecting the heated grip wires from the connector behind the front fairing and removing the cable ties so you have plenty of slack in the heated grip wires, remove the two set screws and the grip should slide off with a minimal amount of force.

ok just fixed it thumbsup.gif

The aim was not only the grip but also all the left systems grip, clutch, alarm and horn switches to be removed in order to fit an O ring to the left handle bar as a base for the Sony RM-X10 remote. And then of course all above (switch, clutch, grip, etc) were installed again in their place...... The job was done this morning, after a lot of thinking to where is the best place to fit the remote, and I think the result was IMHO worth the time spent thumbsup.gif.

I will create a new post this afternoon with some pics and you can tell me your opinion.

Thanks

Nick

Archived