IGNORED

Gear Review: Hilleberg Keron 3 Tent

MotoNews

Published in: Gear

hilleberg-keron-3-tent-review

Depending on the budget, needs, expected climatic conditions and duration of your trip, your choice of tent may be up for consideration. I’m accustomed to tents priced in the mid-range, which generally hold up for a few months before exposure, along with wear and tear, necessitate replacement. It was mainly for that reason I wanted to know more about high-end “professional” four-season tents, and to determine whether the differences justify the added expense.

Adventurers Simon and Lisa Thomas (2RidetheWorld.com) have long been associated with the Hilleberg brand and, as they’ve been out there for over a decade, I took notice and chose the Keron 3. There are several Keron models, which the renowned Swedish tentmaker refers to as “tunnel tents.” Generally considered “expedition-grade” tents, they’re known for holding up under the worst kind of “under-siege” high mountain snow camping conditions, and that level of build quality appeals to me.

With an array of stakes and guy lines in place, the Keron 3 is truly anchored. Unlike most tents, when properly staked, this one could likely hold up in a hurricane. The set-up is a little more involved than a typical backpacking-style tent, but when the conditions warrant it, you’ll know you’ve made the right choice. And those who’ve camped through howling winds, pelting rain and driving snow will know exactly what I’m talking about. High winds will tear a typical tent apart, requiring Herculean all-night efforts just to keep everything from blowing away.

Hilleberg2

The Keron 3 is two-layered. Think: A tent within a tent. The inner module can be removed, leaving the standalone outer shell as a shelter, but you lose the tent’s floor and bug-proofing aspects. There are two double doors, one on each end. The double door serves as weatherproofing to the inner door, and also accesses the twin vestibules, which are handy for stashing and keeping dry your boots and other gear.

It weighs in at around nine pounds, and a little more if you double up on the tent poles (recommended for high winds and/or snowfall), and depending on which stakes you’ve chosen, and whether you select the optional footprint (recommended). Yes, the tent pole channels were intentionally constructed to allow for double-poling—a simple but smart design element for added strength. And remember, the Keron 3 is a four-season tent.

The interior height allows for comfortable sitting in a low-bottom backpacking chair (such as the Alite or Helinox brands). I found the height appropriate for “dew avoidance” during several damp mornings, too.

The tent is made from a material that’s a little heavier and more durable than every other tent I’ve used for motorcycle camping, and the floor pan is nice ’n’ high, helping to prevent the interior from flooding in high rains. I almost can’t imagine a condition where it would wear out, or get ripped or torn.

Hilleberg1

I also packed the optional footprint for an additional insulation layer to the floor (never a bad idea), and also to help protect the floor from puncturing. The footprint adds roughly a pound to the package but doesn’t take up much space, as it fits snuggly into the Hilleberg carrying bag. The footprint attaches to and covers the entire perimeter of the tent, which keeps everything together neatly, and it can remain attached for packing, too.

The packed tent may be a bit too large and heavy (~9 lb.) for smaller dual-sport bikes, but not an issue for for large adventure bikes. However, if you’re on a smaller bike Hilleberg makes lighter and smaller models worth looking into. Over the years I’ve tried many types and sizes of tents, but generally found that those rated for three people are the best suited for long hauls, especially when you have to camp out for a few days waiting out bad weather.

If there’s a single reason to consider a high-end tent, it’s the build quality and its ability to endure tough conditions. It’s just a fact of economics, cheaper tents wear out faster (usually much faster), don’t hold up well to repeated exposure to the elements, and require more maintenance.

Clearly, this is a four-season, professional quality tent for adventurers who need a durable “home” on the road they can trust. Short of accidentally cutting it with a knife, I can’t imagine what level of wear and tear would cause the Keron 3 to fail. It’s the most bulletproof tent I’ve ever used and an impressive product. MSRP: Keron 3—$1,010 (Red, Green or Sand) | Optional footprint: $98 US.Hilleberg.com

PROS

CONS

Indestructible  Must be anchored with stakes (not free standing
 Four-season
 Extremely waterproof
XzqI_9yVinw

View the full article