IGNORED

California North meets South in the Middle 2019

CoarsegoldKid

CoarsegoldKid

Okay friends for the moment you've all been waiting for North meets South will be on the weekend of April 26 in Oakhurst, CA. The rates are unchanged from last year at $89.00 for two persons at the Comfort Inn. When you call 559-683-8282 for reservations please tell them you are with BMWST to get the rate.

Newcomers you should know that this gathering is not limited to BMW branded motorcycles so your friends can also attend. This will be the eleventh year holding this BMWST event. Oakhurst is located in the foothills of the Sierra National Forest area at the confluence of Hwy 49 and Hwy 41. Yosemite National Park is a short ride north of the motel. The roads within a 75 mile radius in all directions are perfect motorcycle roads. Best to have tires with good side tread. The National Forest officially does not open until May 1st but you should not find closed gates for off-highway enjoyment and I've never known anyone to have any issues, except for mud. Riders generally group up into like minded throttle twisters. You won't be disappointed as there is something for everyone. There are even art galleries and brewery and one hard liquor distiller/tasting room in town. Most all eating and drinking is within walking/stumbling distance.

At some point I'll contact a few of the local restaurants to see if they can accommodate us as we have done in past years. If anyone has a opinion on this let me know I might be able to do something about it. Remember the Crab Cakes is no longer in business but the restaurant has reopened under another name like Cowboy or Ranch Home Cooking. I haven't tried it.

Make those reservations soon.

• Like 1
I gotta go to watch EDDDDD

I've already contacted the Dirty Donkey staff so they have time to lay in a supply of that PBR rotgut.

I'm looking forward to riding some twisty roads, enjoying the beautiful Sierra area scenery, and seeing some riding buddies in beautiful Oakhurst, CA!  

CoarsegoldKid

Thanks for posting pics Don.  I bet John has some too.  Along with the riders of past years I hope to see some new faces this year.

On 1/9/2019 at 1:25 PM, eddd said:

I've already contacted the Dirty Donkey staff so they have time to lay in a supply of that PBR rotgut.

IN and booked. Sadly it looks like the Dirty Donkey is permanently closed. Don’t know if another bar is going in or something else.  We’ll need to find Todd a new watering hole and maybe have a moment of silence for the Dirty Donkey. :cry:

• Sad 2
CoarsegoldKid

Dirty Donkey was bought out by the Comfort Inn to become a part of the motel.  There's a pizza shop there for the moment.  I never noticed but maybe the pizza shop was always there?  A little further up the road is a "biker" bar.  Todd can sniff out a bar from a few miles away.  

• Like 1
13 hours ago, CoarsegoldKid said:

Dirty Donkey was bought out by the Comfort Inn to become a part of the motel.  There's a pizza shop there for the moment.  I never noticed but maybe the pizza shop was always there?  A little further up the road is a "biker" bar.  Todd can sniff out a bar from a few miles away.  

The half of the building farthest from the motel lobby has been a pizza place for as long as I've been going there.  The DD was in the half of the building closer to the motel.  Maybe the pizza joint took over the whole building?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
CoarsegoldKid

17 souls braving the beautiful riding in the foothills.  Unless I miss counted.  This week I'll set up the restaurants for both Friday and Saturday evenings.

• Like 1
CoarsegoldKid

I hadn't seen a posting for the hooligan contingent from Southern Cal.  Mr. Duck's wild ride.  Is it on?

3 hours ago, CoarsegoldKid said:

I hadn't seen a posting for the hooligan contingent from Southern Cal.  Mr. Duck's wild ride.  Is it on?

I’m in! The usual suspects will be meeting up Friday morning for the back road ride!  Leave 9 am Lancaster Starbux Ave I or 10 am Tehachapi rt 58  Mill st exit gas station.....and lunch stop in Porterville around 1 pm......don’t miss this one!

Don J

60E8067D-50A8-4F4A-971C-E5697C585A5C.jpeg

• Like 1

For those on the fence...

A few more from the 2018 NMSitM.396871094_FastGroup.thumb.jpg.312c5942479bcbbdc1ef7829460c13ca.jpg

The "fast" group.61318386_TheBridge1.thumb.jpg.b24af3a731afc5dd73b383a7ac3d065e.jpg

Stay on the steel plates!586873054_TheBridge4.thumb.jpg.775d4943ef464b8a4bfb60b9ebfab634.jpg

Break timeGP3.thumb.jpg.9628cc1b413467a3bdc66152db809fc8.jpg

A view from Glacier Point. (not sure who took it, but not my pic)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Ya'll have fun. We're going to miss out due to a Scotland / Ireland excursion this year. That ride from Tehachapi to Oakhurst with these Unusual Suspects is a must if you've never done it. Always a root tootin time. See you guys and gals next year.

Hi Joe,

I am thinking of returning home via Yosemite on Sunday. Are the roads on the west side (41, 140 and 120) all open? I am thinking of  taking 41 from Oakhurst and exiting via `40 or 120  and then  heading west.

Are there any organized rides on Saturday?

Thanks,

John.

6 hours ago, factortech said:

Hi Joe,

I am thinking of returning home via Yosemite on Sunday. Are the roads on the west side (41, 140 and 120) all open? I am thinking of  taking 41 from Oakhurst and exiting via `40 or 120  and then  heading west.

Are there any organized rides on Saturday?

Thanks,

John.

Hi John,

You can Google "road conditions" + hwy number, and get the latest info on any of those roads.

As far as organized rides, most folks discuss where they want to ride on Friday evening/Saturday morning. Find people who are going where you want to go, or who ride at a pace you like, and ask to join them. They most always say yes!

Thanks Don,

Caltrans highway conditions does not provide Yosemite park conditions. I was asking Joe because he lives there and the locals usually know best about the roads.

John

TheDigginDutchman

In and booked not sure of the road conditions but we can make something up.Could be snow ,dirt ,mud, gravel or nice pavement.One thing forsure it will be an Adventure!! I liked the ride last year but Im not sure Humphreys station is open I left a message but I haven't heard back.There should be a restaurant open in Shaver Lake or bring a sack lunch and we can have a picnic :5146:

Looking forward to seeing everyone :18:

Cornelis

On 4/17/2019 at 9:43 PM, TheDigginDutchman said:

In and booked not sure of the road conditions but we can make something up.Could be snow ,dirt ,mud, gravel or nice pavement.One thing forsure it will be an Adventure!! I liked the ride last year but Im not sure Humphreys station is open I left a message but I haven't heard back.There should be a restaurant open in Shaver Lake or bring a sack lunch and we can have a picnic :5146:

Cornelis

Cornelis the ride you led two years ago was fantastic. Lots of great foothill backroads to the south and west. 

On 4/17/2019 at 9:43 PM, TheDigginDutchman said:

Cornelis

Yeah.....Trust us, it’ll be fine!

Changing flat tires on the last “adventure”!!!  :4316:

And the Friday  back road ride is still on :5188:

92247862-82D1-46D2-A084-43F6B324D70B.jpeg

• Like 1
On 4/8/2019 at 10:33 AM, Groanup said:

For those on the fence...

A few more from the 2018 NMSitM.396871094_FastGroup.thumb.jpg.312c5942479bcbbdc1ef7829460c13ca.jpg

The "fast" group.61318386_TheBridge1.thumb.jpg.b24af3a731afc5dd73b383a7ac3d065e.jpg

Stay on the steel plates!586873054_TheBridge4.thumb.jpg.775d4943ef464b8a4bfb60b9ebfab634.jpg

Break timeGP3.thumb.jpg.9628cc1b413467a3bdc66152db809fc8.jpg

A view from Glacier Point. (not sure who took it, but not my pic)

I hate that bridge!!!  Damn you Corny.

Havasu Dave, BrianT and I will be staying at the Kern Lodge on Thursday.  We take a leisurely ride to get there and then head out Friday and try to stay out of the wake turbulence from the usual suspects.   It's knee walking distance to the Kernville Brewery if you partake.  We have the big suite with room for one more.  You will have your own bed for about $70 vs $108 for a regular double room.  Let me know if you are interested.  Spooning will be available for an extra charge.  See EDDDDDDDD for a quote.

CoarsegoldKid

Staying in Kernville is a good Thursday stop for riders.  I've always liked it for the Death Valley gathering.  Will be good to see you hoodlums Friday evening.

CoarsegoldKid

Dinner is set on Friday at the Sweetwater for 7:00pm and on Saturday at the Oakhurst Grill across the street from the Comfort Inn.  At the Oakhurst Grill the timing is a bit different for reasons beyond my control.  Time 6pm ish or so.  You can wander in at 6 order drinks and your meal.  Anyone showing up later is just fine.  We'll be in the same large room as we were last year so it's all good.  It's just that the kitchen feels they won't be able to handle 25 people all at once.  So come in early relax, have a beverage on Todd and do some bench racing, no oil or tire threads please.  Tell the person at the front door that you are with the BMW group.  Thanks Todd.  Sorry about the Dirty Donkey.

On 4/17/2019 at 6:55 PM, CoarsegoldKid said:

John, Yosemite is open unless you want to go to Lee Vinning.

The NPS website has Glacier Point Rd closed too, along with 120.

Thanks Joe!  Not sure where the sweet water is.  I’ll be heading down the little Dragon into Coulterville on Saturday for lunch and hooning that area if anyone does not have a ride planned.  As per usual, it will be a smell the rose ride .  Not Cornelius “hope for a clear corner” ride. 

• Haha 1
CoarsegoldKid
9 hours ago, graydude said:

Thanks Joe!  Not sure where the sweet water is.  I’ll be heading down the little Dragon into Coulterville on Saturday for lunch and hooning that area if anyone does not have a ride planned.  As per usual, it will be a smell the rose ride .  Not Cornelius “hope for a clear corner” ride. 

I drove you to the Sweetwater last year, Dave had beer in hand.  Other folks walked the 0.8 miles up 41.  My plan for Saturday is also leaning toward heading north on 49 then take the Greeley Hill Coulterville road over to 120 then east to Evergreen Road to have lunch at the Evergreen Lodge.  I won't stop for many sniffing of the roses but I won't charge into blind corners either.  No matter which way anyone decided to take they'll have a fun rubber scrubbing day.

7 hours ago, CoarsegoldKid said:

I drove you to the Sweetwater last year, Dave had beer in hand.  Other folks walked the 0.8 miles up 41.  My plan for Saturday is also leaning toward heading north on 49 then take the Greeley Hill Coulterville road over to 120 then east to Evergreen Road to have lunch at the Evergreen Lodge.  I won't stop for many sniffing of the roses but I won't charge into blind corners either.  No matter which way anyone decided to take they'll have a fun rubber scrubbing day.

Did you get the RT back on the road Joe?

Russ