IGNORED

Continental Divide Motorcycle Trail

Anyone here done it?

I've got time this summer for a long trip. Had been thinking the PNW. Then ran across some info on ADV about the CDT and it looks like a lot of fun. Multiple levels of difficulty. The majority of what I've seen online would be easily doable with my new rig?

Thoughts?

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Bud, if you do a search for "Continental Divide" posts by johnlt you will see a number of posts from 2009, 2011 and 2013.  

Mike Cassidy

I have not yet ridding it but will do so in the next couple of years.  Changing careers this spring/summer or I'd offer to ride it with you.

On 12/18/2018 at 9:19 PM, Bud said:

Anyone here done it?

I've got time this summer for a long trip. Had been thinking the PNW. Then ran across some info on ADV about the CDT and it looks like a lot of fun. Multiple levels of difficulty. The majority of what I've seen online would be easily doable with my new rig?

Thoughts?

Just two that immediately come to mind. I think your rig is one wheel drive so you'll probably want as much traction as possible, i.e. some kind of knobby on the bike. I've heard there are (long) stretches in N.M. that if wet the mud can be nearly impassable. I'm familiar with a lot of it in Co. and one road near Salida (Otto Mears Toll Rd).) is fairly steep so  the stock gearing might be  a handicap. Although you could probably make it, just may be tough on the clutch. It is easier going north than south on that road.

There are multiple ride reports on Adv but a particularly well-written (and executed) one by a solo rider on an 1150GS stood out for me, I'll see if I can find it. Also Clement Salvadori did it years ago on a 650 Dakar and wrote on article in Rider, you could probably find that.

Most of it is easy and the sections I've done (Cuba, NM to near Steamboat Spgs, at different times) are beautiful. Kenny Haynes and I rode it from Saquache, Co. to the NM border one day and had a blast. A few pics.. actually the first couple are a Kenny shortcut over a ridge into uncharted territory so I'd recommend sticking to the route : )

IMG_1221-X2.jpg

IMG_1225-X2.jpg

back on route..

IMG_1256-X2.jpg

IMG_1261-X2.jpg

IMG_1322-X2.jpg

watch out for these critters, this guy came flying out of nowhere and scared the crap out of us.

IMG_1355-X2.jpg

IMG_1368-X2.jpg

IMG_1431-X2.jpg

He has a descriptive way of writing without being obnoxious, he's engaging and informative. Can't believe he did it on a 1150GS.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/21/2019 at 7:56 PM, LBump said:

Here is the Link to a well written report on the CDT.  Bill mentioned it in his post.  Looks like the CDT would be quite the adventure!

https://advrider.com/f/threads/mexico-to-canada-on-dirt-the-continental-divide-trail.1219854/

An excellent read!  Another great link from the above ride tale for all those looking for this type of adventure can be found here:  GPS Kevin Adventure Rides