IGNORED

Cold weather balaclava and foggy glasses?

R65_Steve

I bought this balaclava today and find that if I wear it as I'm supposed to, my glasses instantly fog up. If I stretch it under my nose, not so, but then my nose is exposed. What am I doing wrong?

Exhaling. Stop doing that and you'll be set.

Seriously though, in my experience, unless you have a very petite nose (which I do NOT), balaclavas direct warm, moist air right up to your eyes. In really cold weather this will cause all kinds of cool ice crystals to form on your eyelashes, but in milder weather you'll just get damp and foggy.

My solution was to get a fitted mountaineering balaclava - my favorite was a wind proof one from Outdoor Research. It fits pretty well underneath a helmet and instead of stretching to pull over your head it sort of Velcros around you. Being formed of multiple pieces of fabric lets it cover your nose and still sit flat on your cheeks so you don't get all the exhaust on your eyes.

Edited by szurszewski

Dump the balaclava and grow a big Santa beard like me.

But yeah, pull it down off your nose. I usually cut a mouth hole, or pull it down off my mouth as well. When you exhale, it travels up the gap on either side of your nose, and voila! Foggy spectacles. Wearing ski goggles over the glasses will usually seal that spot up (but that's not much help, unless you've got a motocross style helmet).

I normally ride all winter, or just plain all the time, with my face shield cracked open a bit, to get enough airflow inside to keep the specs from fogging. I don't usually wear my prescription glasses, but I do wear clear safety glasses, or sunglasses virtually all the time, when on the bike. It's kindof a trade-off cracking open the face shield. Either it's fogging, or I'm getting some rain up inside there. Or both.

Whereabouts do you live?

you can also get some anti-fog from a ski shop. there is or was a brand I used to use that worked well called “Cat Crap” but i'm sure there are many to choose from .

If you have an REI in your town , go by there as they often have the good stuff .

I bought this balaclava today and find that if I wear it as I'm supposed to, my glasses instantly fog up. If I stretch it under my nose, not so, but then my nose is exposed. What am I doing wrong?

Afternoon R65_Steve

I have the same problem (with goggles fogging as I don't wear glasses).

I'm not sure that you will ever will totally correct the glasses fogging wearing it the way that you currently are.

My workaround is to only pull it up to just above my mouth then inhale through my mouth & exhale through my nose (works pretty good in real cold weather). I also lift the visor at every stop & if possible leave the visor up one notch while riding at lower speeds.

It also helps to take your helmet inside at night so it starts out warm the next morning.

I've have the same issue. Being a diver, I first tried spitting on my glasses to reduce the fogging. That worked, but not very well. I tried various brands of the commercial anti-fog solutions and wipes. They all worked about the same for me but others have had better (or worse) results, so it may have something to do with an individual's body chemistry. Best solution I found was with a balaclava that had a separate "tunnel" for my mouth and nose. That allowed my exhaled breath to flow out the tunnel, instead of being directed up, towards my glasses.

Here's one brand, Outdoor Research.

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/en/gear-and-accessories/hats/balaclavas/gorilla-balaclava/p/2436150001008

Well, since you have glasses on, ride shield up,......I do ;) So far this year, upper 30s for 1hr commute. Shield goes down for a few minutes, then back up,.....I enjoy the wind on my face. When it reaches the teens, the shield will be down more than up. I wear safety glasses (clear on top, bifocal on bottom) so I do get the fog on occasion but my Arai has really good airflow and the fogging only really occurs during slows and stops, at speed, no fogging even with shield down. I do have a balaclava that I put on but that is to stop the air from going up my neck (odd that I like the cold air on my face but it chills me on the neck)

• 2 months later...

I don't know what helmet you wear, but my HJC has an optional breath box that vents to the outside.

I wear a light balaclava year round -- with my nose exposed.  I use the breath box only in the winter, and it works very well.  I keep my shield open a crack while riding for ventilation.  I do fog up a little when stopped at a light, but once I'm moving again, it clears right up.