IGNORED

Newbie with barn finds

tundra

Hello,

I am new to the forum. Hello everyone. I came across two true barn finds. A 1997 f650, 962 miles and a 2004 r1150r with 196 miles on it. I grew up around the corner from the gentleman that owned them. I purchased them from him and his wife and I have started to go through them. The f650nhas some carb issues and will need to be rebuilt, The 2004 has some rust in the tank so I will be cleaning it out. I also ordered a new fuel pump and filter kit and will rebuild them. As well as changing all the fluids. Any advice would be appreciated since I am new to BMW.

Thank you

Tundra

Edited by tundra

The 650 as you found out has two carburetors linked together.

The parts from bmw are pretty expensive and a common failure part are the joiner "T" (s) that feed the carbs fuel.

Leakage occurs .

Bear in mind there is an auto compression release that lifts one valve during starting to ease the load on the starter motor.

So a compression test , if you take one reads low unless you use the bmw technique .

Also , the battery is mounted in a terrible location and unless things have changed, the only AGM battery to fit is made by a MotoBatt.

Avail from Impact Battery or once you determine the correct part number, sometimes cheaper on Amazon.

Otherwise you are forced to use a lead acid battery that requires close monitoring as the heat from the engine boils the water out amazingly fast.

Once you get the 650 figured out, it will provide amazing gas mileage and cruise all day at 80mph if you wish.

The rear master cylinder, water/oil pump and the regulator are the only parts on the bike that ever showed any pattern failure and those occurred when regular maintenance wasn't followed or, ahem, when the bike was stored for long periods.

The reg was known to fail when allowed to be caked with mud (heat) or run with a struggling (dry) lead acid battery.

Welcome.

For the boxer, new in tank lines, new brake lines

Did it have the 600 miles service done?

If not, a bunch to do including retorque head bolts (check).

All fluids/filters.

Clean plugs.

Build a manometer and gather all parts for a 6,000 mile and annual service.

Check alt belt for degradation.

Tires obviously.

Best wishes.

Tundra... welcome on board.

I suggest you update your profile to show where you are located. There is a good chance some experienced member will be near you. This is a good thing.

Congratulations on both bikes. The '04 RT is a real find.

'04's were the last year of the 1150 cc RT's and are the best in that series, IMHO.

At those miles, be aware that the bike is not broken-in yet. Think about 15-18,000 miles before that happens. Yes- they live a long life.

A lot of the condition of those bikes will depend on the environment where the bikes were stored. With a bit of luck- they will be OK, but unless it is too late- do a very thorough inspection of the bikes before you go cleaning on it. Look for rodent droppings and dirt in unusual places... nests. Cracked tires, cracked hoses, Old, gummy oil, fuel and lines. Condensation in the tank, etc. Age is the culprit- not so much the miles.

You will need to become familiar with resources such as Beemer Boneyard, and others...

Should be a fun and rewarding restoration, please keep us updated with frequent photos and posts.

Re: the R1150R.

that one should, should have come with steel braided from bmw . the “Stahlflex” so if it does, you don't need to replace .

just the standard rubber lines would need to go.

Also the male half of the fuel quick connects.

Tri, right about brake lines.

FWIW, there are '05 boxers.

A general once over of the out of sight connections like shifter parts might be in order.

file:///C:/Users/DAD/Desktop/mc%20r1150r%203.JPG

Hopefully this picture comes through. I am inspecting the bikes, the amazing thing to me is how little rodent damage there is to these bikes. The only wires I have found that have been chewed is on the 650 going to the rear turn signal and the seat on it has been destroyed. There was a lot of evidence of mice but seems to cleaning up nicely.

That's the photos location on your hard drive. You'll either need to host it sowewhere online and link or upload directly to here as a linked file. Some size restrictions on that - not the easiest site to post pics on :(

Working on the R1150R right now, cleaned the gas tank out ordered a rebuild kit and fuel lines. I have cleaned it up and inspected the wiring and harnesses , all look good! I changed the oil, and am going to go through the abs next. I need to order a manual so I have the correct torque specs and such. I am looking forward to working on the f650 as well, I am looking for a new seat for the 650 but have had any luck to this point.

7016.jpg.b5bcf8c79fce872ef6cb4d835084bca1.jpg

Nice find. Good luck with bringing them back to life. The R1150R has the dual plug heads which smoothed out the low speed issues earlier models had. They are pretty much bullet proof. The '04 1150 should also be servo abs brake equipped. That means you need special tools and procedure to bleed. They will also make a whrrring noise when used. This is normal. It is the servo motors making the noise. Your brakes are also semi linked. Your front lever will activate the rear with a proportioning valve. Your rear activates only the rear. They are very powerful and do take some getting use to as the initial engagement is a little touchy. The roadster model is closer to a GS than the RT. There is lots of online support for your model. Check out ADVrider.com as well.

Good luck!

Rick G

Edited by Rick1130