IGNORED

LT vs RS headlight

NoLongeraK1200RSRider

NoLongeraK1200RSRider

I recently bought a K1200RS that the previous owner had dropped and broke the headlight. I couldn't find a used RS light but did find one from an LT. I carefully cut the LT out of its' housing (which had broken ears) and placed it in the RS housing (which was in perfect shape) and now the darned thing won't fit into the fairing!! Can anyone tell me why this might be? They look nearly identical and the LT glass fit the RS housing perfectly. Does anyone have a good RS used headlight that they would like to sell? Thanks for your response.

Bummer it didn't fit, Larry. It's been "common knowledge" that at least the "internals" of the LT and RS lights were the same. I too would never have guessed they'd actually needed to construct a different housing to hold the same reflectors and lens.

Best of luck in your search.

Bad news: Three different headlight part# between KRS,LT and LTM.

Good news. All year('96-'04) KRS headlights are the same.

Bruce C

NoLongeraK1200RSRider

Thanks for the input all. I know the part numbers are different but made the mistake of thinking it was due to the different adjustment feature on the LT headlight. The glass fits the RS housing with no problem whatsoever...it just won't fit the fairing opening. I guess I learned an expensive lesson on this one. <shrug>

Archived