IGNORED

gunnison?

jellero

why go to gunnison which is a pit, when you could got a bit further north and be in heaven? do you need motels? i know the area very well, can advise. j

Paul Mihalka

Well, this year's Unrally is pretty much settled in Gunnison, but I'm sure we all be very interested in hearing your suggestions for next year's or the year after event.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Why are you trying to poison all of us against having a good time? Here's your first post on the subject:

you people are going to go all the way to gunnison, then stay in motels in july??? why??? there is a wonderland of places to camp just up or down the road, i know the area very well having lived in the valley for half my life. gunnison is a flat, dirty place but close to the best camping anywhere. buy supplies there and move on. j

And here's your second post, now started in a thread all your own as if to give some weight to what you are saying...

why go to gunnison which is a pit, when you could got a bit further north and be in heaven? do you need motels? i know the area very well, can advise. j

You've been a member for nearly a year. Where were your brilliant suggestions when Gunnison was announced last summer? If you think Gunnison is a pit, then don't come. I, for one, don't want anyone raining on my parade, especially not when I'll be on vacation with my worldly friends.

Instead of being so negative, why don't you give us some useful suggestions? Like, "Gunnison offers a number of things, but maybe a bit short on X. If you need X then I'd suggest Y or Z."

Or, "If you'd like a smaller, more intimate setting other than the KOA, I'd suggest the reasonably priced, quaint PDQ campground. It's run by a nice couple in their 90s. And it's a quick 7 minute ride from the Un headquarters"

Or, "such-n-such bar in Gunny has a decent selection, but if you want a great burger, cold suds and a fantastic deck view, then you may want to try the motorcycle-friendly LaDeeDah Grill. Heck, let me give them a call and see if they completed their planned addition and would be willing to host a hundred-some-odd crazy bikers."

Or better yet, "As long as you're all going to be so close, how about I host a BBQ on Wednesday?"

You could have made any of the above suggestions. We're all trying to have fun here. If you're sour for some reason please go sulk off line.

I'm Weiner Steve and that's my opinion. thumbsup.gif

April Fools, I presume?

eek.gifconfused.gifdopeslap.gif

rain -> parade

Maybe some nice route planning will be coming to get us outta the "pit"... at least for our day rides? wink.gif

i fOR oNE -- cannot W A I T to get back to the "pit" with all my friends from across this great land..!!

I wanna take it all in -- along with my homies...so bring on the "pit", can't wait for it all to unfold.!!

Paul_Burkett

My wife and I spent 3 days touring the area last year and we think that it is a great place to use as a base camp area. I am helping to put together ride routes for the rally, if you would like to help with GS routes or places of interest, like the winery on 50 east of Gunny, that would be very helpful. PM me and let me know something good.

Happy birthday Steve.

Naw, I've had more fun in pits than paradises anyway.
Naw, I've had more fun in pits than paradises anyway.

grin.gif

Jellero, there are many, many people on this board who have helped plan and stage numerous BMWst.com riding events and many of them would tell you that a lot of effort and thought goes into where, when and why the events are staged. Whether it is Torrey, El Paseo, Ely, Texas Hill Country, Mayhem or the UnRally, careful consideration is given to the event.

As BMWst.com continues to grow, so does the number of riding-related events throughout the year. When you add "our" events to the overall riding calendar of events in NA, it becomes a bit difficult to please everyone.

Gunnison was chosen for numerous reasons, but the main reason was because that is where our very first UnRally was held in 2002, and it turned out to be one helluva party and celebration. Other factors that play into the decision are access, accomodations, gas, services, restaurants and catering, etc.

You see, while riding is truly important to our UnRallyers, the time we spend with each other before and after our days in the saddle, is equally important.

You are certainly free to express your thoughts and opinions, but my suggestion to you is that before you continue your short tradition of knitpicking anything and everything related to the UnRally this year, join us first. I believe that once you meet our group, and you have the opportunity to experience first-hand what an incredible group this is, you will better understand our overall mission for our events.

After this year's UnRally, I'm sure there will be discussions about future UnRallies and possible info-gathering threads by the board leaders. That will be a great time for you to offer your input and advice for what's next. As far as the 2006 UnRally, the location decision was made long, long ago.

Hope to see you in June! thumbsup.gif

Nicely stated, Tasker! thumbsup.gif

My Dad's family is from The Pit and a number of our relations have hailed from that area for about four generations. I've spent a lot of time over the last 48 years visiting the area. As a town Gunnison is still very "quaint" by some standards, but I certainly wouldn't call it a pit. You want to see some Pits, I'll host a World Class Pit Towns Tour of Wyoming. But guess what? A lot of folks that live in those towns think they're pretty nice and call them "home". Maybe Jellero is just spoiled by living in Colorado and needs to get on his bike and do a little travelling to broaden his horizons a little and maybe gain some perspective.

One man's ceiling is another man's floor....

One man's trash is another man's treasure....

One man's Pit is another man's home town....

etc.

I for one can't wait to get on with riding to The Pit and seeing all you hooligans!

Doug

Maybe Jellero is just spoiled by living in Colorado and needs to get on his bike and do a little travelling to broaden his horizons a little and maybe gain some perspective.

Hmmm... Northern Indiana and anywhere between Kansas City and Denver are a couple of areas that come to mind quickly. As "pits" go, Gunnison would not be in my top-fifty list of places to avoid! eek.gifgrin.gif

Go through Gunnison often. Not far from here. Would be and is an excellent "ground zero" for outstanding riding in every direction.

Tasker, where did this sense of restraint come from?! Well done. Have you been hanging out with Master Yoda? crazy.gif

Oh, BTW, if our Colorado vacation's itinerary can be edited, I'll gladly hang out with the members of this board in the "pits", even without the bike. clap.gif

Calvin  (no socks)

When I get there from flat, straight, boring Florida, will I automatically have a membership into the....... "PIT crew"? cool.gif

skinny_tom (aka boney)

It's not the place, it's the people.

Come by and find out for yourself.

fine, attack. i was trying to help. i'd just as soon not have everyone know the best areas. why not denver? pueblo? j

fine, attack. i was trying to help. i'd just as soon not have everyone know the best areas. why not denver? pueblo? j

I've been called perceptive. I get that a lot, in fact. And something tells me you're going to be a big hit around these parts! tongue.gif

Now, a little suggestion, if I may. Step away from the screen and keyboard and envision walking into someone living room where a party's going on. You're handed a beer, slapped on the back, and welcomed with an outstretched arm and a smile.

Now it's your turn. What do you say next? Don't worry, it'll come to you. cool.gif

PhillyFlash

No one is on the attack. As has already been stated, the plans were established quite awhile ago. There are many reasons why Gunnison was chosen, and we don't need to go into them again. Suffice it to say, it worked for us 4 years ago, we expect it to work for us again. If you have good places to stay for another time, great, tell us about them. If you have great places to camp in the area, great, tell us about them, some of us may camp there now or later. If you have some great places to ride and explore that we may not know about, fill us in; it'll probably get you a couple of beers, a welcome pat on the back, and maybe even a ceegar or two. If you don't want to share your knowledge, that's fine, too. We have several members from Colorado, and I doubt you know that many places in the area that they, or many of us, don't already know about. Even if there are some we don't know about, we know plenty to keep us all happy for a long time. This is a very friendly, generous group, but most of us expect the same from other members. The choice is yours. But if you're just here to push people's buttons, no one's going to miss you when you're gone.

Paul_Burkett

i know the area very well, can advise. j

PM me and let me know something good.

It has been a week now, and I would still like to hear from you as to where your favorite rides are in the Gunnison area. We draw from the residents of the area that we are going to for their knowledge and experience in an area, both good and bad, auch as, I was in that area last week and there was mud up to your eyebrows, that is not a good place to go yet. But as I said, I am waiting for some tips on riding locations. grin.gif

But as I said, I am waiting for some tips on riding locations.

I'd be careful, Paul, he may give us routes that roll us right off of one or more nice, scenic cliffs! tongue.gifwink.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday
But as I said, I am waiting for some tips on riding locations.

I'd be careful, Paul, he may give us routes that roll us right off of one or more nice, scenic cliffs! tongue.gifwink.gif

Tasker, you of all people ought to know you don't need a route to do that! eek.gifdopeslap.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Okay, Mitchy-pooh, I deserved that one!

Very nice! thumbsup.giftongue.gifgrin.gif

P.S. LMAO!!!

Would this be considered a "pit"-iful thread, or not, Tasker? wink.gif

this is a sad side of bmw riders to view and nothing like those i ride with. enjoy the koa, burgers at macdonalds, whatever. hey, there is a walmart!

one thing you should learn when riding/traveling is don't mess with the locals. i was trying to help as i intimately know the area, guided professionally for many year there.

city people should stay in the city with all the paranoia... j

one thing you should learn when riding/traveling is don't mess with the locals.

Coming from you? You've basically walked into "town" here and said "you're choice in locations sucks, I'm smarter than all you, I know the area better, and I'm here to tell you you're all wrong". Would be like some city dood showing up in your town telling how small towns are no good and all the people that live there are small minded.

I'll give you some traveling advice, quit "messing" with people in general.

You want to be helpful, share some ride ideas, some good spots for lunch...something?

Joe Frickin' Friday
i was trying to help...

Maybe so, but your offer of help was preceded by harsh criticism for the chosen location - a choice that was locked in almost a year ago.

this is a sad side of bmw riders...city people should stay in the city with all the paranoia... j

This has nothing to do with BMW riders, or city folk, or anything like that. You led in (and followed up) with a couple of very undiplomatic missives, and you're now reaping the results.

David's given excellent advice, and you may find you're more warmly received around here if you take it to heart:

Step away from the screen and keyboard and envision walking into someone living room where a party's going on. You're handed a beer, slapped on the back, and welcomed with an outstretched arm and a smile.

Now it's your turn. What do you say next? Don't worry, it'll come to you. cool.gif

skinny_tom (aka boney)
Daniel, is that you Daniel. smirk.gif

If it looks like an elephant...

[idle musings]

The problem with the "Ignore this user" feature is that I'm always too darn curious to see what what someone is saying now and have to turn it off to find out!

Hey admins, can we make it a "hot" feature, so I can turn on the posts of my ignored users and read them then turn them back off?

-Of course that defeats the purpose! But it allows me to ignore people and still know what's going on!

[/idle musings]

.....Now, a little suggestion, if I may. Step away from the screen and keyboard and envision walking into someone living room where a party's going on. You're handed a beer, slapped on the back, and welcomed with an outstretched arm and a smile.

That is exactly what happened to me when I attended the first (unofficial) gathering of the 2003 Gunnison UnRally Commemorative Gathering. Most folks stopped there on their way back from various CO rallys and events and wanted hang out in Gunnison and do some day rides and relive the spirit of the first UnRally.

Anyway, I showed up a little late one Sunday afternoon and as soon as I arrived I was told pizza was on the way and the beer was cold. What could be better? Great company, food, and barley pop. thumbsup.gif

A good starting point for rides in the Gunnison area, and all of Colorado for that matter, is at: http://www.coloradobyways.org/Main.cfm Every scenic byway is two wheeled bliss. Several in the Gunnison area.

Steve,

Thank You for the link. That's what I have been looking for.

Very helpful! thumbsup.gif

[edit]

Wait a minute...uh oh...

Tasker, can Barb and I borrow that gray GS? wave.gifgrin.gif

He'll be too busy shopping at the WalMart to even notice it's gone. grin.gif

Yeah, maybe. But Barb and I were just gonna take that GS to McD's to load up the saddlebags w/ goodies for all of us! grin.gifwave.gif

Tasker, can Barb and I borrow that gray GS?

Sure, no problem! thumbsup.gif

Oh, be sure to slide the keys to that new RT under my hotel room door! And, be sure the gas is topped off! tongue.gif

Tasker, can Barb and I borrow that gray GS?

Sure, no problem! thumbsup.gif

Oh, be sure to slide the keys to that new RT under my hotel room door! And, be sure the gas is topped off! tongue.gif

Tasker,

Who says I am gonna be on an RT buy the end of June, anyway?

wink.gifclap.gifgrin.gif

Ken,

My mama used to tell me "bling" is as "bling" does.... thumbsup.gif

Forrest Gump

• 2 weeks later...

I obviously don't post here often but I do ride around Co. a lot. Yesterday I got back from a loop that's my all time favorite. I live in Pueblo. I'll start from Gunnison. Go west on 50 about 9 miles and catch 149 south (The Silver Thread highway.) This past weekend at the 11'500 foot pass near Lake City the snow was still 5 feet deep and the lakes frozen solid. Go through Lake City (where Alfred Packer became infamous) and on through Creede (take the 4 block off route and run through town) and then on to South Fork. Hang a west on 160. Last weekend there was a traffic stop about 10 miles west of South Fork. Stopped for about a half an hour. I'm not sure if it was a landslide cleanup or landslide prevention construction. It may or may not be fully open by late June?? Run over to Durango and turn north through town and up through Silverton, Ouray, and into Montrose (the Million Dollar Highway route 550.) Turn east on 50 again and back into Gunnison. The smile from this run won't leave your face for years. I left Pueblo Saturday morning and did a Bluegrass festival in Montrose Saturday night and then back to Gunnison and down to South Fork and back to Pueblo Sunday. Montrose is 250 miles from Pueblo straight down route 50. I turned it into 2 400 mile days. I really think that loop is my favorite ride in the entire country. ENJOY! It is an ambitious amount of miles though, you may want to measure first. Also check out Michaels restaurant a few miles north of Gunnison on the way to Crested Butte, GREAT Italian food.

Yesterday I got back from a loop that's my all time favorite. I'll start from Gunnison. Go west on 50 about 9 miles and catch 149 south (The Silver Thread highway.) Go through Lake City and on through Creede (take the 4 block off route and run through town) and then on to South Fork. Hang a west on 160. Run over to Durango and turn north through town and up through Silverton, Ouray, and into Montrose (the Million Dollar Highway route 550.) Turn east on 50 again and back into Gunnison. It is an ambitious amount of miles though, you may want to measure first.

Just plotted this on Mapsource and it's 646 kms, or 400.5 miles exactly. Thanks for the suggestion.

i was trying to help as i intimately know the area

Great. So starting from Gunnison, where is the good riding? What are the "must see" sights in the area? Where is the best camping that's not too far from town (because that's where all my friends will be)?

Keep in mind that I'm just a city person thinking about a week's vacation. I'll also be on a street bike, so dual-sport/offroad routes won't be possible no matter how great they are.

Thanks for your expert advice!

I obviously don't post here often but I do ride around Co. a lot. Yesterday I got back from a loop that's my all time favorite. I live in Pueblo. I'll start from Gunnison. Go west on 50 about 9 miles and catch 149 south (The Silver Thread highway.) This past weekend at the 11'500 foot pass near Lake City the snow was still 5 feet deep and the lakes frozen solid. Go through Lake City (where Alfred Packer became infamous) and on through Creede (take the 4 block off route and run through town) and then on to South Fork. Hang a west on 160. Last weekend there was a traffic stop about 10 miles west of South Fork. Stopped for about a half an hour. I'm not sure if it was a landslide cleanup or landslide prevention construction. It may or may not be fully open by late June?? Run over to Durango and turn north through town and up through Silverton, Ouray, and into Montrose (the Million Dollar Highway route 550.) Turn east on 50 again and back into Gunnison. The smile from this run won't leave your face for years. I left Pueblo Saturday morning and did a Bluegrass festival in Montrose Saturday night and then back to Gunnison and down to South Fork and back to Pueblo Sunday. Montrose is 250 miles from Pueblo straight down route 50. I turned it into 2 400 mile days. I really think that loop is my favorite ride in the entire country. ENJOY! It is an ambitious amount of miles though, you may want to measure first. Also check out Michaels restaurant a few miles north of Gunnison on the way to Crested Butte, GREAT Italian food.

I know the route you describe very well. Based out of Gunnison at the original Unrally several years back, I rode most of it (went west out of Creede to South Fork, then north to 50 and back to Gunny). Then I rode your exact loop the next year after one of the Torrey, UT events. Roads like those, along with the varied yet relaxed life in Montrose, led my wife and me to purchase a second home in Montrose earlier this year. The riding is spectacular!

Archived