IGNORED

Fire Fire

BereIsland

This is what can happen in the petrol station when things go wrong, my mate Dave who bought his R850R a couple of weeks ago. Was in Winchester filling up, paid for the fuel and had got on the bike when he started to feel a little warm by his right leg, well flames shooting up past the side of his face was the answer to that, he jumped off and threw a bucket of sand at the bike. All this time Dave was being shouted at by a women who , he didn't realize that he was on fire as well, just look at his jacket. He's really lucky, not hurt in any way.

62474825-M-1.jpg

Good job he was wearing a helmet

Here's his bike, looks like a GS now grin.gif

Apparently the fuel line going into the Injector snapped clean off.

62474830-M.jpg

62474827-M.jpg

I'm very glad that he OK, as it was me who told how good the beemers are, anyone know of anything similar happening?

Steve Carter

I'm very glad that he OK, as it was me who told how good the beemers are, anyone know of anything similar happening?

One of the guys I ride with has an R1150RS. Twice he has dropped it gently on the right hand side, and both times the fuel line has broken. Actually it was one of the connectors that cracked. Fortunately there was no fire in either case.

I wasn't there when the first one happened, but did see the second one, and tried to find out how a slow drop could cause a fuel line break. One of the plastic fairing pieces is actually quite close to the fuel line, and if it is pushed in on the way down, then pressure will be put on the fuel line. This was the fuel line leading directly from the tank, so fuel kept running out when the bike was upright. A spare foam earplug stuffed into the fuel hose closed it off long enough for him to get it transported to the dealer.

Really looking forward to the "Rest of the Story"! What started the fire? What does BMW say? What does insurance say? What does he buy now? I have seen numerous fires at the gas station as an officer! I have heard of RT-P's catching fire when left running too long. Your post brings more questions than anything. At least the most important one was answered when you said he is okay!

I have heard of RT-P's catching fire when left running too long.

Nah! NEVER happens! tongue.gif

10216460-M.jpg

blush.gif

Well the bike has been recovered (Its a used bike but with a full BMW bike warrenty), and will be sent back to the BMW dealer he bought the bike from, the dealers are closed on monday so no more news till Tuesday, he's been told he will get a car to replace the bike whilst the his bike is off the road, he's going to look silly wearing a helmet in his car when we go for a ride out tommrow grin.gif

Its been one of those days. Thanks for your concern.

Steve Carter

I will show him this pic, and say it could have been worse grin.gif wow, was their anything left of this bike?

Steve Carter

...the bike has been recovered...and will be sent back to the BMW dealer...

Will the dealer cover all the costs for the damage? Don't forget to fill us in on the next installment to the story.

wow, was their anything left of this bike?

Uhhhhhh, no. The bike was given a proper Viking Funeral--but at least the captain of the ship wasn't on board! dopeslap.gif

10216466-M.jpg

Wanna know the best irony here? He had sold his Harley to buy a Beemer and . . .

. . . he's a Firefighter!

His name is Greg and goes by "firepole" here on the DB. IIRC, he broke his knee in the get off and managed to pull out his camera to take those stunning pics! I met him when he came to San Diego riding a 100CCC (Coast-to-Coast-to-Coast: "there and back again" in under 100 hours! eek.gif ) with SteveHebert and Uli. He's one hard-core dude! cool.gif

But don't worry Marty, it never happens . . . really! wink.gif

The April edition on Motorcycle Consumer's News has a letter about the failure of a quick disconnect fuel line on his R1150rs. In the later, he also refers to a story in the January BMWOA magazine, by a Ken Trice, relating a similar failure of the fuel line. I will have to look for that?

In the case of the letter I first referenced, the guy on his RS, he was attending an experienced rider's course, riding straight ahead, doing quick stops, when one of the instructors yelled and waved frantically at him, trying to get his attention, but running away from him, when he looked down and saw steam rising and knew instinctively it was gas evaporating! Yiyehyah!

I am glad your friend did not get injured. What a scare that must have been.

Marty,

The reason you did not want to hear about that has been taken care of. No labels inside the fairing and I am sure that a real rider would never be silly enough to forget a bike while it is running to let that happen anyway! thumbsup.gifclap.gif Cops do silly things! Never me though dopeslap.gif!

The April edition on Motorcycle Consumer's News has a letter about the failure of a quick disconnect fuel line on his R1150rs.

I don't have an R, but I ordered a pair of metal couplers to replace the ones on my scoot. For some reason I don't trust those plastic buggers.

I had another look at Dave's photos and I think I can see the break, looks to be right where it joins to the throttle body.

62637212-M.jpg

Steve Carter

• 3 weeks later...

Well I did promise you all an update, seems the dealers cant find any fault with the bike at all, the picture above of what looks like a break in the fuel line isn't a break at all, must be a trick of the camera. He is going to claim on his insurance and hopefully will get his bike back shortly. He must have spilt some petrol as he was filling the tank.

Thanks all for your concern thumbsup.gif

Steve Carter

Archived