IGNORED

R1100s alternator removal

RPG

I'm planning on helping a buddy change out his alternator (2004 R1100s) and was wondering if it's as difficult as my '04 RT. (that I decided not to do, due to time constraints)

We're going to update the voltage regulator (Euromotoelectrics) so his battery performs better.

Any advice, links would be appreciated.

thanks,

RPG

dirtrider
I'm planning on helping a buddy change out his alternator (2004 R1100s) and was wondering if it's as difficult as my '04 RT. (that I decided not to do, due to time constraints)

We're going to update the voltage regulator (Euromotoelectrics) so his battery performs better.

Any advice, links would be appreciated.

thanks,

RPG

Afternoon Rick

I can't remember ever having the alternator out of an 1100S with the engine still in the bike.

Does that 1100S bike have ABS? (ABS makes access much more difficult)

The 1100S is mostly an 1150 engine as far as service goes so my guess is it should be about the same as your 1150RT. (won't come out the rear without removing components & won't come out the front without removing the front of engine alternator mount cover)

I would also imagine that with a little finesse, some cussing, that you can remove the 3 screws from the alternator rear cover then rotate that to allow j-u-s-t enough wiggle room to get the regulator out & back in.

RPG,

I changed the Voltage Regulator on my '99 R1100S WITHOUT removing the alternator, the belt, or the engine!! I got the "AGM Voltage Regulator" from Lori at EME while I had the bike apart for a clutch replacement last year. EME for an AGM Voltage Regulator for an Oil Head

I did remove the ECU directly behind he Alt, but did NOT remove the ABS. Wish I had pics of the process but I didn't think it was possible when I started.

Disconnect the + wire to the battery.

Remove the 2 cables/straps attached to the alternator. See pics below.

Remove the 3 small screws holding the black cover on the back of the alt. (you'll need a very long and a very short #2 phillips screwdriver)

There is a cut-out in the side of that black cover where the wire connections are on the alt. You need to rotate the cover (it will not come completely off - it is trapped between the frame members, wiring, brake lines, etc) until the cut-out is over the voltage regulator (on the top side of the alt). This is the very fiddly and frustrating part here, just keep trying, it will go, and remember it goes back together much easier. It is tight.

There are two screws that hold the volt reg in place, remove and replace the reg thru the cut-out.

Then the obvious reverse of the above disassembly. 30 min job with the tank already off.

If I can do it, YOU can do it.

Lowndes

bRPTAmWQutcHrCSE9kzayzUEPhXSxj7-k5Rfx59zlvq2r8gscsyw5Xny7wEETC6PTPsILlm9EFgBogYYyFiS3ccmsmSQrunjZxTlcMCQrqwuDvxE1IghsA9vvFTCOJAaDE0Tjh269SwbBcMe-SZt7WmsIEtxZlVBB3SFbQ2EzvIm34IUXR3_y4kNqsmL9Cfjz7J2pZETlxfCdB67ecruyG4mLE-mspnT3zSYyCEw3YHeTxXde29JtyMmQ9fOh-dr13KXrfVhK818qKUA5vIfcR0BmpVGs37K9WUoVbVl5_rtqEQ_OvQpImHsOO-ceAzoPEVh20hVX54LAJ5Y265jmkwPdRJZjLBBxkiaqzEoVRPEQAx2cx0wNz36bv1EqQBCf_b5P3CODXQixSHidCu5fFchCEZUtIfiPAGK-bThR1Ovwm5qpN7h7zsQ-Ewl7TE52LxfCbIgUEDdLNoVwBMzKTPQV48fRaEgcE_zpWOEwSeiFqyX-K7zNEiLwutOT7AUT-unCdodxRnCJUJ6uJ1XlKgetn_ohy-BW8FnDQeovCJ4lqRDq1TO_VmM7UsSISStHKygBhoaFUH5hPiyEuqNqHwiqaQXW45xXGWOZsn5vvycN7KGKBRCpMZIc8hRRyhSJRC7LI8wk2J0Zav5_0TG9YhRDLenXcEw=w1496-h841-no?.jpg

HJk2CrxEioNRKEKrMvLhu9f6CyvTYE-qsEuR0JYttF-tIQFSU6c2YSWA116ASjr4RzMmxwHkSRQYIu1GQQGhlRJSqkETi0rKP8bNvGhWIyJRVPcWT0x_jt_5eePJaPYug1G2nkdTWOdNd1BqbJeBSW8sK0tuOjGHNr3j7QCON2N2A9rW1ato3KKjRwnMIQv14qrF4Vv983pgAUeYipE8nv3Ptb6Jkb-IzdTgUTDwDLHJ1E2PIcwV_ZMRo59CwHWhQoX5tj1Wl4yWViCdAinsaEuWdilTJQUixK9XDAysi7b81kXsUIR4-eyZNO70BYD_aEx78-07N3GiDGovj6pDbc2TR89iZkdL23WI2BpDhaxGFW-SD_EwOZytZVhfBXb4P90HNzW3goFsUkgQ1TbeZQWW4bj8U7b2wtcR-gcWWek7Mpc0Q2TP9iG1wX7aaEEOYJeBYjA6IkKQdtInhQKaMZm_FUhtLK9SB9Jfyg-5GOgvDRIeEQtY259OmoOus1_oewyQ9PuY8Djn7qCZ8NqfqAKbiW__PUgiYMYnv1QnTzSRqgqxBlt60ylPQrHzU10w92HbOLUq2nlfJP1QsPzQqOozE9vYZfsj6CKh6kE5E2yEzKsDfpgHWIy7Zgvbj3SktO1zztgo0kSf_II2r-gQ3C-Pg9fTSQ8_=w474-h841-no?.jpg