IGNORED

My bike went to Yosemite...

ghaverkamp

... and all I got was these lousy pictures.

It was to be a combined birthday celebration. I and several friends all have birthdays clustered around each other. Last year, we had a barbecue at one of the friends' houses. This year, it was suggested we do something different. We rented a "cabin" in Yosemite and 12 of us were to spend the weekend there.

My rides to destinations seldomly go as planned. This was no different. Out of work late on Friday, I chose to ride up early Saturday morning. Unfortunately, I slept late and didn't get out until 10:30.

Along the way down 120, I acquired an RT rider in my mirrors. He followed my past the 108 split and past the 49 split, and then we hit a traffic light. We greeted, and he asked where I was going. "No idea, just riding," I responded. He suggested, "I'm going to ride 49 for a while if you'd like to join me." "Sure, " says me. "Go ahead and lead," he says... Oops. He clearely didn't take the "no idea" seriously. I assumed we'd see 49 pop up again. Then, he pulled up past me, waved, and took off somewhere; I assumed we had done the riding he wanted to do, but it wasn't very good. In hindsight, I think the real problem was that he knew where he was going...

I rode toward Sonora Pass, deciding I'd see how far I could get and what I'd see before it was closed. That was a nice ride, because the views are nice and there's not much traffic when folks know they can't get the whole way by. There was also, unfortunately, lots of salt in the road, but I learned to deal with that and accept the occasional slide as added "excitement."

So, from 12 miles east of Strawberry, back down 108 to 49 to 120, and into Yosemite. Well, sort of.

5.jpg

I cut off short onto Cherry Lake Road. I think I saw 5 cars on this road. It was great road, and other than the deer playing chicken, it was a lovely ride. (For some time after the deer, every moss-covered stump, miscolored rock, and patch of bushes, looked like a deer to me.)

When Cherry Lake Road ends at Cherry Lake, one must take off onto Cottonwood Rd, National Forest Rd. 14. Of course, it's still winter in Yosemite, and there's a sign at the beginning that says, "Road Not Maintained for Winter Travel." (At least, that's what I kept chuckling to myself.) I was having too much fun to stop and take photos, but by "not maintained" they mean, "We don't remove all the slides, fallen rocks, or trees that fall in the winter, and we don't repair any massive, bike-swallowing potholes." But that's okay. It's just a small part of an excellent road.

From there to Tuolomne, then to 108, to 49, to 120 to Yosemite. Sound familiar? There is a set of hilly twisties outside Yosemite on 120 on wonderful road. I had them mostly traffic-free twice. Excellent. And, as it happens, not many people enter Yosemite at 7:30 PM on a cold Saturday. After the entrace and chatting with the ranger at the gate, I put on my Gerbing liner and took off, to 41 to Wawona and the "cabin" which proved tough to find at 8:30 in the evening.

6.jpg

I left the cabin at 11 Sunday morning. My first trip to Yosemite and I didn't see any of the sights! I'm thinking about going back next weekend if the weather holds...

About 700 miles for the weekend after poor routing going home (about 420 Saturday...)

Greg

I'm thinking about going back next weekend if the weather holds...

Hey Greg. Do you have to wait for the weekend to go back?

I'm off until next Monday and would like to tag along if your going back for some sightseeing of Yosemite. I owe my brother in the Bay Area a visit anyway. Weekend will also work for me! I thought there would be snow in the valley yet.

Do you have to wait for the weekend to go back?

Unfortunately, I do. Big project at work to push out by the end of the month. (Which is why I was 4.5 hours late getting out of work Friday.)

Weekend will also work for me! I thought there would be snow in the valley yet.

Well, I didn't go through the Valley. There was snow all over, but the roads had been pretty much cleared. I passed as high as 6700 feet (according to the ranger at the gate, which convinced me to put on the Gerbings) and everything was dry, with snow on the sides. Above that level, I don't know.

Let me know how it looks for you. Weather's my only big concern.

Greg

Greg, I think I ride a lot but you make me think of every weekend near home as a wasted opportunity. Every time I read one of your ride tales I say to myself "Look what I coulda been doing!"

Another great ride tale, dude.

I think I ride a lot but you make me think of every weekend near home as a wasted opportunity. Every time I read one of your ride tales I say to myself "Look what I coulda been doing!"

Well, sir... I do believe I said to let me know when you have a free day, and we'll run off on one of my normal rides. Of course, it's easy for me: no wife, no kids, no house... Just be back by Monday AM. smile.gif

If I go back next weekend, you're (and anyone else, for that matter) welcome to join in. If the weather goes south, I'll probably just ride up the coast. Ho hum. laugh.gif

(Actually, my much vaunted Pilot Roads are wearing much more quickly than I suspected. Checked them this evening, and the wear bars are becoming visible on the rear. Only 4400 miles on 'em. I may be spending a coming, pre-Torrey weekend changing/scrubbing in new tires... Oh... And the new Wilbers shocks came Friday! I may be holding a Richmond Tech Day.)

Greg

Archived