IGNORED

Battery for K100

Sig

It's time for a new battery for my 85 K100RS. I was looking for the thread with the battery info on the Panasonic from digikey, but I can't find it. Anyone have the specifics? or any other battery recommendations?

thanks.

It's time for a new battery for my 85 K100RS. I was looking for the thread with the battery info on the Panasonic from digikey, but I can't find it. Anyone have the specifics? or any other battery recommendations?

For my '86 K100RT, I just went to a battery shop and bought a Made-in-Taiwan 24 A-H replacement battery. Just a standard ordinary flooded cell type.

This was a couple of years ago and it is still working just fine (including starting the bike every morning in below freezing weather last month). In fact, just last evening I decided after never looking at the electrolyte level for over a year, I'd better do it. I hardly had to add any water.

Sure, there are higher tech batteries, such as AGMs and (if you really want to waste money) Gel Cells, but I can't see that they could be any better value or performance.

Bob.

thanks.

Go here: http://dkc1.digikey.com/US/MKT/HTO.html

and print out the order form. Order one P049-ND and that will get you a Panasonic LC-X1228P AGM battery. I used them in both my K1100 and my R100RS. I replace them about every 4 years.

If you mail a check with your order, it will cost you $58.28 with free shipping.

HTH

Mick

Order one P049-ND and that will get you a Panasonic LC-X1228P AGM battery. I used them in both my K1100 and my R100RS. I replace them about every 4 years.

If you mail a check with your order, it will cost you $58.28 with free shipping.

Now THAT is a good idea! This is even cheaper than what I mentioned I did (buying a generic Taiwanese battery) and the quality is far better.

I use Digikey all the time (for prototyping quantities of electronic parts), but never thought of them as BMW parts store! grin.gif

Bob.

I bought my 91 K100RS in Sept '01 with a Gel battery already in it. Sold it last summer with the same battery untouched still going strong. Worth the money IMHO if you're gonna keep the bike.

Dennis Andress

The Panasonic battery worked great in my '91 too. The battery posts stuck up above the top of the battery a bit making it difficult to install the ECU without touching one or the other post.

Go here: http://dkc1.digikey.com/US/MKT/HTO.html

and print out the order form. Order one P049-ND and that will get you a Panasonic LC-X1228P AGM battery. I used them in both my K1100 and my R100RS. I replace them about every 4 years.

Thanks guys, thats the exact one I was looking for.

• 3 weeks later...

ok my battery has arrived (Panasonic LC-X1228P)

any special recommendations on charging / maintaining it since its a sealed battery?

I normally use a 1.25amp automatic battery tender with the bmw plug, but I figured I would ask here since alot of you have this battery. Is it safe to keep this thing on a tender?

ok my battery has arrived (Panasonic LC-X1228P)

any special recommendations on charging / maintaining it since its a sealed battery?

I normally use a 1.25amp automatic battery tender with the bmw plug, but I figured I would ask here since alot of you have this battery. Is it safe to keep this thing on a tender?

Sig,

The normal Battery Tender and the BT Plus both work great with these batteries. I leave them connected any time I'm not riding the bikes. It will usually double the life of the battery to keep them on a BT.

Mick

Archived