IGNORED

New Bike To UnRally?

marcopolo

Help me out here. I'm currently waiting for my 2006 RT to be delivered from Germany. It was March production, and April delivery. When I'll actually get my mitts on it is anyone's guess, but let's say it's late April, or early May. I have forgotten what BMW's break-in routine is, so my question is simple: do you think it wise to plan a trip from Ontario to Colorado with a bike so new? For me the trip would be about 3500 kms (about 2200 miles) each way. Don't know at this point how many kms I'd have on the bike before mid-June, but I will be retiring in two weeks, so I'll obviously have more time for riding. Any thoughts? (I haven't checked the recommended accomodations yet, so maybe it's all booked and this is moot anyway).

skinny_tom (aka boney)

When you pick up the bike, schedule your first service (1000 km) for the following week or the soonest they can get you in before you leave for the rally. Then put in the km's and get it serviced. You'll be good to go. I'm sure the wear in is no different from the oilheads, and the advice runs from "ride it like you stole it" through "throttle on, thorttle off." Personally, once my first service was done, I just rode it like the conditions warranted, and serviced it on time (for the first few.)

Ride it! No worries! There are plenty of great shops between Gunnison and home where you can get any warranty service performed if you hit that milestone during the ride. You can do the 3000 mile service at Northern Colorado BMW - Ducati near Fort Collins, it's a great shop. There's also one in Colorado Springs and several in the Denver-metro area (though God forbid you have to ride through Denver...).

On your way home from Gunnison just head East over Monarch Pass (Hwy 50) to Salida then hook North on Hwy 24 to Leadville, then Hwy 91/I-70 to Frisco, then Hwy 9 to Kremmling. From there head East again on Hwy 34 to Granby and on through RMNP to Estes Park and onward to Loveland. Northern Colorado BMW - Ducati is on the frontage road of I-25 just north of the intersection of Hwy 34 and I-25. (There are of course several optional routes between Salida to Granby, the above is just my favorite because of the beautiful scenery, fabulous roads and low traffic density.)

Here's a link to Northern Colorado BMW - Ducati .

Traffic will be heavy in RMNP but mostly on the East side. It's a gorgeous place and great ride, well worth the trouble.

As a matter of fact, now that I think of it, I might be induced to ride that route myself since my parents live in Cheyenne, Wyoming about 60 miles from the shop! My Dad's family is from Gunnison so we've spent a lot of time there, it's stunning country. You're in for a treat!

Doug

Lander, WY

What 3000 mile service? confused.gif
I was wondering the same thing. It's 1000 kms (600 mi), then 10000 kms (6000 mi), isn't it? I suspect the 3000 was merely a typo and he meant 6000 miles.
PhillyFlash
What 3000 mile service? confused.gif
I was wondering the same thing. It's 1000 kms (600 mi), then 10000 kms (6000 mi), isn't it? I suspect the 3000 was merely a typo and he meant 6000 miles.

3000 mile service. Park bike. Put on center stand. Check oil level, add if needed (it is still new, afterall). Walk around the bike. Look it over and say, "Damn! I love this bike." Service finished. Continue riding. You're all doing your 3000 mile service, aren't you? wink.gif

Do what the others have said. Get your 1000km service in as quickly as you can, and then just enjoy the bike. If you get home with 7000 miles on it, it won't be a problem, won't damage the bike, and won't void your warranty. But I wouldn't recommend going much more than that before getting it serviced again. If you know you're going to get to 6000 miles and want to schedule an appointment somewhere on your travels, it usually isn't too much trouble, especially if you can plan it out a week in advance, and doesn't take too long.

Even if the main lodging in Gunnison is full, there are hundreds of more rooms, and camping, less than 5 miles away. If you have the time, and the inclination, there shouldn't be anything to stop you from going. It should be a great event, and the riding is spectacular.

OK you smart alecs, I'm one of those folks who tries to change his oil, etc. every 3000 miles. And it's 31,687 miles since my RT was new and 21,841 miles since the GS was new and ~56,000 miles since the K75 was new. Slack, please!

The point is, there are plenty of places to get service if necessary. Having a new bike shouldn't keep you from taking it on a long journey "right out of the box". After 600 miles early break-in, I'd think a long tour at varied speeds, hills, altitude changes, etc. would be the best thing you could do for the bike.

Smarty pants! tongue.gif

grin.gifthumbsup.gif

And the Fort Collins shop is GREAT!

Doug

necessary. Having a new bike shouldn't keep you from taking it on a long journey "right out of the box". After 600 miles early break-in, I'd think a long tour at varied speeds, hills, altitude changes, etc. would be the best thing you could do for the bike.

Smarty pants! tongue.gif

grin.gifthumbsup.gif

And the Fort Collins shop is GREAT!

Doug

agree...prolly the best way to give it some legs!

Ok, I think you've convinced me. I'll start checking for accomodation.

All right! Now all you need is the new bike! Hope it gets here on time! grin.gif

I saw your post on another thread about finding a room, that's great!

Doug

Yes, a bike would help, seeing as I've already handed over my trade-in to the dealer. Now, stand by for a never-ending series of noobie questons, as I've never been in that part of the country and am wondering about expected temps, routes etc. from essentially upper NY state to Colorado.

PhillyFlash

Prepare for everything. You may ride through temps in the low 100s crossing the plains, certainly the 90s, and you could hit a little bit of snow in the mountain passes. Nights in the mountains can range from the 30s to low 60s. It won't be the rainy season yet, but that doesn't mean it won't rain. Lots of us travel with a Camelback so we can keep hydrated as we ride. Dehydration and/or hypothermia can get you in serious trouble.

Don't let any of this worry you. Just prepare for the possible extremes, and hope it stays somewhere in the middle. Traffic near cities, like usual, will be terrible. Away from the cities, it's a non-issue. Police can be found anywhere, but usually (remember, that's usually) they don't bother you if you're not more than 10 mph over the limit. Don't take that as a rule of thumb, though. Radar detectors are always useful, but not foolproof. Motels along the way should not be too much of a concern. It is still early in the season, and you shouldn't (repeat, shouldn't) have trouble finding places to stay. Some riders like to plan out their route to the minute, and pre-arrange stopping places, and make reservations in advance. Many of us are the adventurous types, travel where and how far we feel like going, and hope for the best in terms of motels. I've rarely found it to be a major problem, but sometimes it can keep you on the road looking for a place longer than you'd like. I still rarely make advance reservations unless I know that I'm going to be in a certain place, like Gunnison. Bring a cell phone and your BMW Anonymous. Two very essential tools.

WARNING: Most likely you will encounter other individuals on 2-wheeled vehicles. If they are on Harley's, they are probably not a part of our group, and they usually are not dangerous. If you encounter riders on BMWs, especially if they have bmwst.com or bmsrt.com stickers on their bikes, they may be a part of our group. Consider them to be extremely dangerous. These riders may lure you into riding at excessive speeds, passing other vehicles in unmentionable ways, and are subject to laughing, hugging, and the inability to stop grinning when you encounter them while off of their bikes. Their behavior is contagious, and you too may find yourself falling victim to hoonitis. Sadly, there is no cure. Travel at your own risk.

Howard, thanks for the tips. The temp possibilities certainly make one stop and think about what to wear on the bike. Guess I'll leave the leathers at home. That then leaves me with "mesh" pants and jacket, but I've got windproof stuff I can wear underneath, and can always bring my heated vest (hard for a central Canadian to imagine needing a heated vest at that time of the year, but I'll certainly take advice from someone who knows better). I can also throw on my rain gear to keep the cold at bay, if needs be. I will certainly also steer clear of big cities (I was plotting a route on Mapsource for my GPS just last night). I saw Paul "Old Fart's" post about his route from Maryland, so I figured he's got a clue, or two, with all those miles under his belt. I think I'll try his suggested route from Ohio west, avoiding much of the interstate (though I may do some of that from home to Ohio, depending on my time estimates). Won't worry about a radar detector, as they're illegal here. I wasn't planning on reservations en route, as I figured (and you confirmed) it would be sufficiently early in the season not to worry about them, though I typically reserve ahead later in the season, when kids are out of school. I also never leave home without my cell phone and MOA Anonymous. Lastly, I definitely will keep a look out for nefarious BMW riders, especially those who frequent this site. Hope to see you in Gunnison.

cheers

PhillyFlash

If you've never ridden in the West (Colorado, but also Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, etc.), and if your time is somewhat limited, I'd suggest taking more of the interstates across Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, and eastern Colorado, to get to the Rockies a little sooner. It's a long way from Ottawa to Colorado. Depending on how much time you have, I'd consider trying to go through the Black Hills of South Dakota, Devil's Tower in Wyoming, up to Red Lodge, Montana and then down the Beartooth Highway to the Chief Joseph Hwy and into Cody, WY (home of UnRally 3, and a favorite area for many of us), then across into Yellowstone and down past the Tetons to Jackson, WY, continuing south into NE Utah, then into Colorado, and then southeast to Gunnison. Or the reverse. Or parts of it. It's a fantastic part of the country. Or if time is limited, just coming to Colorado and spending time there. It's a great state to visit and to ride in. You simply can't go wrong once you're out here. How much time do you have for this trip?

Well, I retire in less than two weeks, so time.....(that's not to say I'm completely footloose, I do still have responsibilities back home). I'll check out what you've suggested, though my significant other wants to ensure that she's with me when I get to Utah for the first time on the bike (she's not able to come with me in June, unless things change radically at her office).

Yes, the date stamp is correct. This was taken on Togwotee Pass above Jackson Hole, Wyoming (near Yellowstone and Grand Teton NP's), elevation about 9700 feet on a normal Spring morning. By noon it was clear and bone dry, 60*F temps. I carry everything from mesh gear to my BMW Savannah suit and GoreTex rain pants and jacket. And about five pair of gloves tongue.gif.

35778606-M.jpg

This guy was from Arizona, he said, "Man, this just isn't the right bike for these conditions!" He made it just fine, though.

I'm going to visit my son at college in Grand Forks, North Dakota in early May of this year, then we're going to tour northern Minnesota and southwest Ontario for several days, then I come home and he goes to Summer school. My route choices always involve avoiding the Interstate highways, so I'll be going out via the Big Horn Mountains through Buffalo, WY and past Devil's Tower to Spearfish or Belle Fourche, SoDak. I'll then spend a day touring the Black Hills of Wyo and SoDak and spend a second night in the same motel. Then I plan a mini-Iron Butt from Spearfish to Grand Forks by heading north from the Black Hills via Hwy 85 and work my way to Minot, ND via two-lanes, then pick up the non-interstate 4-lane Highway 2 between Minot and Grand Forks (speed limit 70 mph on that road). That route may work for you in reverse as you head to Colorado from Ontario....

PM or post here if you have any questions about Wyoming or Colorado routes, I've ridden extensively in this country. My Dad's family is from Gunnison, so I'm familiar with that too.

Take care!

Doug

Thanks Doug. I'll check out those suggestions on a map to get some sense of the"big picture" as they say. That's one drawback to mapping software. I'll need to supplement it with a road atlas so I can get a better sense of the lay of the land (I do always carry maps with me on the road for that very reason, and in case the GPS craps out).

Doug/Howard, I've had a look at a good map and I think this time out I'll head due south into NY (I'm only an hour north of the border), then into PA. I'll then head west through Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Kansas, then on into Colorado. I can't afford to spend 4 weeks this time out, but this certainly won't be my last trip into that part of the US, CO, UT, WY etc. I plan to adopt Paul's route from Columbus OH west, now all I have to do is figure out which way to get to the vicinity of Columbus. I plan to give myself 5 days to get out there, arriving on the Monday, then head back home on the Friday. I expect to take about 2 weeks total. From home to Columbus I may do a lot of interstates in the interests of time, and since I rode to Lima, OH last summer on the back roads. I do, though, want to avoid big city traffic, horrendous construction and highways that are bumper to bumper with semis, if that's possible. I've sketched out a very preliminary route which follows I-81 south in NY down past Scranton PA, then heads west on I-80 into OH. I haven't figured what route I'd take south in OH to get to the vicinity of Columbus, where I'd pick up the route Paul M outlined in an earlier post. Not sure how I-80 is for truck traffic etc. Any ideas?

• 1 month later...
Missouri Bob

Mark:

Two things come to mind. It seems to rain briefly most afternoons in the mountains. Your new bike will use oil. Carry some with you.

See you in Gunnison.

Bob

marcopolo

Thanks Bob. Got the new bike two weeks ago, have about 1000 kms on it so far and am taking it in Thursday for the break-in service. I had the GPS hard-wired on Friday. Think I'll head out today with the topcase for the first time to see what that feels like. I'll be ready for rain, and will certainly have some oil with me when I head out to Gunnison. See you in June..

Archived