IGNORED

Petrol tank filler

AndyS

The fuel filler on these Wethead RT's dreadful! Filling up takes so much longer than on my Oilhead.

So, on the Oilhead, many owners drilled a hole toward the top of the fuel filler neck to allow displaced air to exhaust, thus enabling quicker and more complete filling.

Has anyone tried this on the Wethead?

Thoughts?

Andy, I have a "hole" in the top of my filler tube. But, it didn't make nearly as much difference as it did on my Oilhead. Not sure what you mean by taking longer? While it may, or may not, I have not noticed that. One thing you want to do is put a dab of grease on the latch and a drop of oil or two on the hinge. Makes it close MUCH easier. If you occasionally smell raw gas, first place to look is to check the gas cap is securely fastened.

It fuels well until the fuel reaches the bottom of the filler neck, then the nozzle spits and gurgles and you really have to trickle the fuel in. If it is anything like the Oilhead, there is a huge amount of fuel range to be gained if you can fill it higher than the bottom of the fuel filler neck.

Thanks for the tip about the grease and oil. Will do.

I removed the bottom of the filler neck and also drilled a couple of holes near the top. The holes didn't help much, but removing the bottom piece did. It's not east because you need to remove the tupperware from the top of the tank and then unbolt the fuel filler. This is also a good time to replace the air filter because the top of the tank must be removed to access the filter.