IGNORED

Final drive oil change

Scoob

I'm an aspiring wrench on my 2002 R1150RT with 12,000 miles. This is the first time I've attempted to change the final drive oil. The procedure was simple enough. My question relates to how much gunk is too much on the final drive drain plug? The color of the gear oil looks good but my magnet was completely covered with a black grimmy substance. Is this a concern?

Thanks in advance for your help!

ShovelStrokeEd

Nahh, they all pretty much do that. You'll find if you rub it between your fingers it's actually a fine powder. Nothing to worry about. A quick squirt of brake cleaner and your good to go.

Thank you for responding so quickly. You're absolutely right in that the gunk was very fine when I rubbed it off. What a relief!

Joe Frickin' Friday

Question was asked recently in regard to gearbox drain plug, which behaves the same as the final drive. click here. Includes pics. Short answer: black sludge that is smooth (chunk-free) when rubbed between fingers is fine. Palpable chunks of metal is bad. Don't go by visual check, since the magnet makes metal sludge put on really interesting displays.

A tip I give to all home maintenance types, always loosen the fill plug first. You wouldn't believe how many have told me they drained the oil out of gearbox/rear diff and then couldn't refill after having problems with seized fill plug.

Archived