IGNORED

Charcoal canister removal how-to for 96 R1100RSL

Bubbadozer

Evening Bubbadozer

Benefit = Fuel tank won't crush in & dent the fuel sender tube if the evap system plugs up. Bike looks slightly better without the evap can hanging on the side.

Down side = Blatantly against the law in all states, allows ambient moisture into the fuel tank during bike storage, allows hydrocarbons into the atmosphere during riding, sitting, & storage.

Raw fuel vapors are one the worst air polluters.

It's done by removing the evap can, plugging off the purge valve on the L/H side of bike (or just plugging the vacuum nipples on the bottom of both TB's, then hooking the fuel tank vent hose directly to the original vent hose at the evap can area that goes to the bottom of bike behind foot peg. (basically plug off the vacuum side then end up with the tank vent hose running to under bike)

Be sure to cut the under-bike end of the tank vent hose to a 45 degree angle to prevent road water from being sucked into fuel tank.

Edited by dirtrider

You get to be a rebel by flaunting an environmental law that works to keep fuel vapors from escaping to the atmosphere before you get to convert them into super fun engine noises.

You reduce weight and maybe increase aesthetic appeal by getting rid of the canister hanging off the side of your bike (or you can get creative and turn that tube into a tool storage area that conveniently hides behind your saddle bag).

Your canister has become soaked in fuel causing the evaporative recovery system to fail resulting in a vacuum in the tank, and you opt to go cheaper by removing rather than replacing the system.

Lots of folks do it because of #2 - I have done it twice because of #3.

Dang - DR types faster ;)

Edited by szurszewski
Is there an actual tutorial with pics;)). I do better with pictures.

Evening Scott

There probably is somewhere on the Internet, it isn't that difficult that you should need pictures.

If you go searching for a BMW 1100 canisterectomy you will more than likely need to use one for the 1100RT as the 1100RSL will be difficult to find.

Edited by dirtrider

Do it if you like but there is virtually no benefit.

I just bought an 1150 with the system completely removed. Next time I see an 1150gs owner taking the system off, I plan to buy it and put it back on mine.

Also realise that that canister is not used in Europe and many other places in the world.

Morning Andy

In the U.S. it is against the law to remove or tamper with ANY emission control device that the vehicle was built with. (could be a pretty good fine if caught)

That law hasn't been enforced in the past for most end users but has been enforced for manufacturers, custom motorcycle builders, and industry users, etc. (VW is currently dealing with a big fine & some jail time for fooling with emission compliance)

You may not need to remove it...

I removed mine because it was plugged...you can tell if when you open the gas cap, you get a sucking sound of air rushing into the tank...

If you get the sucking sound, remove it...if you don't, leave it there...

Just my opinion...

Tenorman

You may not need to remove it...

I removed mine because it was plugged...you can tell if when you open the gas cap, you get a sucking sound of air rushing into the tank...

If you get the sucking sound, remove it...if you don't, leave it there...

Just my opinion...

Morning Tenorman

If you get a sucking sound at cap opening that will definitely tell you that there is a blockage in the tank venting or blockage in the evap system.

But it could still be plugged without getting the sucking sound (IF) the bike isn't ridden far before fueling up after sitting overnight, or if only ridden short distances.

RoanokeRider

I removed mine and wish that I had not done so. Parking the bike in the garage after any ride, the heat rises from the engine and creates a tremendous amout of gasoline fumes. If I find a used one, I will be reinstalling it.

Mine was puking charcoal granules into the vacuum lines. They were almost totally plugged. Hadn't made it into the throttle bodies, tho, I think the lines were clogged enough to block them before they got that far. When I pulled the tubing off the canister it dumped millions of those little granules all over the floor.

I also get some fumes when I park it after a ride. I think it's the heat from the engine warming the tank when it's parked. Not too bad, but noticeable for a while. I just leave the garage door open for a bit.