IGNORED

Fuel Tank Leak

JDog

Hello-----Was wondering if anyone has had this problem, and if any ideas for a solution:

2010 1200RT. Last month, while on a ride back from Oregon to So Cal, I noticed when I had stopped that there was a drip of fuel from the front left of the bike. A small sheen of fuel on the ground, then it stopped. When I returned home, I took off the left side and saw that the leak was coming from the 90 degree quick release that goes into the tank. I replaced the O ring on the 90 degree, and started the engine. No leak when the engine is running, but when I turned it off, a small amount of fuel came up from where the quick release connects to the female connection in the tank. It only leaks when the bike is turned off, and only a small amount of fuel.

I could find no way to replace the female connection, nor any parts in the fiche, and I was told at the BMW shop that this is a part of the fuel tank. I don't think I'm going to replace the entire tank.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Hi

Did your bike participate in the recall:

http://bmwmcmag.com/2014/01/bmw-recalls-2005-2012-motorcycles-over-fuel-pump-leaks/

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2014/january/jan0913-thousands-of-bmws-need-fuel-fix/

My buddies 2010 & 2011 R1200 RT, both got notice and BMW put a little metal collar around a protrusion on the tank that sometimes cracks a bit. I think it is flange/connection area for a fuel line to the fuel pump, not sure.

Hope that is not the problem, but best to check

Beemer Boneyard also sells the little metal collar or BMW will put one on for n/c if the recall is still in effect.

Ride Safe.

Edited by RSH

I had not been aware of this recall (I bought the bike used 2 1/2 years ago), but from the articles, this sounds like what is going on, I'll check it out at Irv Seavers.

Thanks.

A recall never expires.

You can go to the NHTSA website and enter your VIN to see if it is effected by the recall. If the bike was done, you will get a "contact your dealer or manufacturer for more info"

Back in 2000 at the dealership I worked at we checked every bike that that came in for service for open recalls or campaigns .

We came across an airhead a customer a bought that still had the snowflake wheel recall open. We called bmw, they sent us the new wheels no question.

• 1 year later...

Funny how on the RT model it only affects up to a model year 2011. I have a 2012 RT and I just developed a fuel leak at the very same spot that the recall talks about.

I have the fuel smell, fuel running down the front of the fuel tank and blowing down backwards along the panels. Today I decided to apply JB weld around the crimped on metal ring attached to the pressure output line. As of this post I am still waiting for full cure of the epoxy sealant. Hopefully it will work until I can sort this out with my dealer under my extended warranty. The only dealer I trust is the one I purchased the bike from and they are about two hours away. That's why I decided on this temporary field repair. Those fuel pumps do cost over $400 plus the seals. I don't mind spending money but at a cost of over $400 and I have an extended warranty I'll go the cheap route. I have a feeling that this defect is not limited upto the year 2011.

Trying to convince BMW this will be difficult.

Funny how on the RT model it only affects up to a model year 2011. I have a 2012 RT and I just developed a fuel leak at the very same spot that the recall talks about.

I have the fuel smell, fuel running down the front of the fuel tank and blowing down backwards along the panels. Today I decided to apply JB weld around the crimped on metal ring attached to the pressure output line. As of this post I am still waiting for full cure of the epoxy sealant. Hopefully it will work until I can sort this out with my dealer under my extended warranty. The only dealer I trust is the one I purchased the bike from and they are about two hours away. That's why I decided on this temporary field repair. Those fuel pumps do cost over $400 plus the seals. I don't mind spending money but at a cost of over $400 and I have an extended warranty I'll go the cheap route. I have a feeling that this defect is not limited upto the year 2011.

Afternoon 6speedTi

The recall only goes through the 1200 bikes that were built before the reinforcement ring was installed pre-factory on production bikes. Once BMW started installing the reinforcement rings at pre-factory level then there would be no reason to recall a bike to add one.

Your 2012RT should have had the reinforcement right as built so IF you now have a leak at the high pressure pass-through boss then you either have a defective part or a failed part.

Afternoon 6speedTi

The recall only goes through the 1200 bikes that were built before the reinforcement ring was installed pre-factory on production bikes. Once BMW started installing the reinforcement rings at pre-factory level then there would be no reason to recall a bike to add one.

Your 2012RT should have had the reinforcement right as built so IF you now have a leak at the high pressure pass-through boss then you either have a defective part or a failed part.

Good day, yes I have the reinforced ring on the base of the fuel pressure feed port. Fuel was bubbling out at the base of the ring at the nipple. I think the reinforced ring only buys time from the earlier design. I'm a daily rider with almost 72,000 miles on the odometer. I just finished up sealing the flange area with JB weld. I did a leak check and so far no leaks. If it's cracked then the crack will migrate and probably leak again. A new pump and seal and gasket will cost me around $460. I'll keep an eye on it and as soon as a BMW dealer posts a discount I'll replace it. It's expensive but it's a safety issue. Thanks for the information.

I did inquire about extended warranty claim. It's covered but they have to have the bike at the shop then make the claim and wait about a week for the approval. Being two hours away and the only dealership I trust it will cost me a trailer rental twice. So I figured I'll eat the cost and cover the cost myself when the time comes.

Edited by 6speedTi
  • 9 months later...

Well my repair on the fuel pump I performed didn't hold out as long as I hoped. I was out riding on a beautiful day and when I parked I got a wiff of fuel. Oh yea my repair failed. Found myself about 200 miles away from home. So I rode home with fuel seeping out. No biggie since the first time I rode several trips to and from work. The fuel was seeping out from under the reinforcement ring that was installed from 2012 and on pumps. No recall on my year but very suspicious that it leaked from the same spot. Replaced the pump and ring seal. All good now. Just wondering if the replacement pump will fail again at the same fitting in another 7 years or 72,000 miles? Pump and seal with shipping was $458 and I did the labor. Hate to see what BMW would charge for the job? 😲

Just helped a bud with a 2010 RT fix his fuel leak from the same area as yours last month.  His had the reinforcing ring as well, the bike has 60,000 miles.    

1 hour ago, MikeB60 said:

Just helped a bud with a 2010 RT fix his fuel leak from the same area as yours last month.  His had the reinforcing ring as well, the bike has 60,000 miles.    

I guess those reinforcement rings don't work too well after all regardless of what year bike you may have.  What bothers me is the cost of the pump is so high that you would think it would not leak due to a stress crack at the plastic nipple. So sad. 

15 minutes ago, Carlisja said:

Order these from BBY and install now.  I have 150,000 miles since I put the on.  https://www.beemerboneyard.com/cpcqkdiscon.html

Easy job.  

I put one of these on a 2005 GS before the recall and still no leaks.  It was starting to crack but wasn't leaking.  The camhead already had the reinforced nipple ring and I'm not sure the 10 over reinforceing ring is going to help in this case.  I suspect the install of the ring was incorrect as the ring seemed too loose to me.  The replacement fuel pump had a much tighter ring.  The bike I worked on was cracked to the point where the fuel pump replacement was the only reliable option. 

8 minutes ago, 6speedTi said:

I like this setup but it will not work on my pump. Different design. 

Afternoon 6speedTi

No, those won't work on your 1200 camhead as those quick disconnects go in the hose not on the fuel pump pass through where yours cracked. 

Can you send the defective pump in to your warranty provider and tell them it was an emergency repair.  Let them know you saved them the labor and perhaps they will reimburse for the part.

On 10/24/2019 at 3:04 PM, Skywagon said:

Can you send the defective pump in to your warranty provider and tell them it was an emergency repair.  Let them know you saved them the labor and perhaps they will reimburse for the part.

If your directing the question to me then the answer is no. No because I already threw it away. I have the receipt just incase in the future BMW decides that my fuel pump is also subjected to the same failure even though it has a reinforcement ring pre-installed. Not holding my breath on this one.