IGNORED

Blinker issue - '06 R1200RT

fud

There are a lot of threads out there for blinker problems related to bad switches on the RT. My situation is different. Here's the behavior:

Intermittently at first, but now quite consistently, the right blinker does not work. It throws a fault that shows on the info displays as a "front light is out". When the right turn signal button is depressed, both front and rear bulbs will blink once when the button is pushed and then throw the fault. This can be done repeatedly after ignition on/off cycle.

Here's what I've tried so far:

Checked bulb - good.

Checked socket - good.

Checked wire connections to socket - good.

Checked back bulb - good.

Verify that turn signal direction indicator on the display works - it does.

Swap left and right front bulbs - no change.

Try flashers - same behavior - right blinks once and throw fault, left keeps blinking.

Wiring look pristine.

Not other problems noticed.

Since it reliably blinks once, I think that eliminates that the problem is bulb, switch, socket and possibly wiring. Unless, the computer is detecting a partial short or low power draw for some reason. However, for that one blink, the bulb intensity (front, rear and display) looks good.

I don't have a schematic, which ham strings me a bit. Could it be a blinker relay/controller, a partial short, other???? I'm stumped and want to ride, but won't until I have working signals. Your ideas are welcomed!

Afternoon Fud

That is a strange one.

Unfortunately your turn signals are controlled & internally switched by the ZFE (central chassis computer).

From what you posted it is sort of pointing to either too much load on the R/H side turn signal circuit or the R/H side circuit has something in it that has too much load (like a bulb internal short or something else tied into the R/H side turn signal circuit with too much load.

So, do you have anything added to that bike like additional rear flashing lights, or anything??

Otherwise I really don't know what to tell you other than to try new bulbs in the R/H side & makes sure that there is nothing external tied into the R/H turn signal circuit.

A new ZFE plus programming is VERY expensive & even then not sure to be the problem.

If you want to get REALLY involved then you can unplug the ZFE wire connector then ohm out all 4 turn signal circuits.

If you decide to do that I can give you wire colors & possibly connector pin positions.

You might also try removing all 4 T/S bulbs then (key off & after the ZFE shuts down) reaching into each turn signal socket & measure the resistance across each bulb socket (maybe one will show a lot lower resistance so you will have something to go after) --If you find one that doesn't match the other 3 then maybe unplug the ZFE connector & re-measure all 4 again.

That is some great feedback, DirtRider!

The bike is equipped with Skene P3's (the non-turn signal version)for many years without issue. I don't think this should have any bearing on the current situation. Do you agree? I guess I could disconnect them temporarily to verify.

Your last suggestion of checking resistance from the sockets seems like a good place to start. Then, I'll move onto checking the resistance from the ZFE connector.

I'll take you up on the wire identification if I get to that point. Thanks for that offer!

So, am I to understand that the ZFE handles the full blinker load and there are no turn signal relays? Also, (warning - rookie issue) where is the ZFE located?

Thanks again for the insights! This weekend, I'll know more.

Afternoon Fud

The bike is equipped with Skene P3's (the non-turn signal version)for many years without issue. I don't think this should have any bearing on the current situation. Do you agree? I guess I could disconnect them temporarily to verify.--If they connect to anything remotely related to the turn signals, or connect to any light connectors that contain turn signal circuits then I would definitely disconnect the entire Skene system for a quick test.

So, am I to understand that the ZFE handles the full blinker load and there are no turn signal relays? --Yes, the ZFE handles the turn signal load, flashing switching, & circuit overload protection. No external relays & no external flasher unit.

Also, where is the ZFE located?--Under the darn fuel tank.

• 2 weeks later...

As is often the case, life got in the way of my weekend plans. So, I finally got to do some more testing this weekend.

Here are my findings so far: I found that the system is intermittent. One day the blinker worked for a minute before failing. There after, it failed reliably on the first blink. The next day I tested, I could not get it to fail (5 minutes of flashers-engine off + 5 minutes of flashers-engine running + 5 minutes right blinker-engine running). When riding the bike today, it failed within 10 minutes. Resistance measurements from all sockets indicate an open circuit. I've not yet disconnected the Skene system.

Based on your comments that the ZFE handles everything (turn signal load, flashing switching, & circuit overload protection) and that the blinkers fail intermittently seems to point to a bad wiring connection. Seems strange since everything looks so pristine, but that's where the evidence seems to be leading.

So, after I verify that it's not the Skene system, I will need the blinker pinouts on the ZFE. If you're still willing to provide these, D.R., it would be greatly appreciated. In the best case, I'll find the wiring issue and repair it. If not, I will run new wiring direct from the ZFE to the blinker.

Please let me know if you think I'm on the right track. Thanks!

Last night I disconnected the Skene system for my ride home. The blinkers failed as usual. It looks like I'm now into the wiring harness... :facepalm:

Last night I disconnected the Skene system for my ride home. The blinkers failed as usual. It looks like I'm now into the wiring harness... :facepalm:

Morning FUD

Check your PM on this site as I sent you some wire diagram pictures.

• 6 years later...
On 11/9/2023 at 12:16 PM, GYPLJ said:

Hi FUD, having the same issue, can you post what eventually caused/solved the problem? Would help immensely! Thanks a bunch!

Afternoon GYPLJ

Fudd last showed up here on  June 16, 2019 so you might have a bit of a wait until he sees your post.

If you FULLY explain what is happening on your motorcycle & it's year & model possibly we can help you.