IGNORED

A trailer tale

John Ranalletta

John Ranalletta

A couple of years ago, I got tired of my old, conventional m/c trailer and its ramps. It was clunky. So, after taking a few welding classes, I took a Sawzall to it and converted it so the bed could be lowered. Here's how that turned out. It trailered just fine. We took it to Moscow, ID, Banff area, San Antonio, Red Lodge, Tellico Plains, et al. Lots of miles and it performed flawlessly.

Then, I saw a trailer made in Holland called Airtrailer and was instantly mesmerized by the design and simplicity. Obviously, I couldn't contact Airtrailer and ask for a set of plans; so, I scaled the dimensions from photos and videos. I took some liberties and admit the Airtrailer has a much better fit/finish because it's constructed in an industrial environment with jigs, pre-bent tubing; and, it's powder coated. Not saying mine's anywhere near theirs.

Capture.JPG

View the results in video

if interested. It's a composite. The first two scenes show the raising/lowering before finishing.

The trailer deck is raised and lowered using an air spring, obviating the need for ramps. It takes about 4 bar (64 psi) in the spring to lift the trailer with the GS and the air spring provides suspension as well. The air springs are used on commercial vehicles and in industry for vibration isolation.

The larger challenges were getting the correct dimensions for the lifting apparatus and bending the 2" DOM tubing in a manual bender (aided by air over hydraulic). My motto is I learn a lot because I get to do everything 2 or 3 times. Investing in a good bender and BendTech software were key. With the designs bolted down, the next one (no, there won't be a next one) will be much easier.

While there were a lot of little mistakes I corrected, the big one was the length dimension. Notice the fold down ramp. The length given on the web included the ramp but I thought it was the dimension w/o it. So, the trailer is that much longer than it needs to be. Essentially, it's the distance between the front of the Condor chock and front edge of the tread plate. Oh well. I could have taken out a section fairly easily but decided against doing so as moving the bike rearward reduces the tongue weight substantially.

It's not a very expensive trailer to build and if a person used expanded metal for a deck instead of 3/8" aluminum tread plate (ca $400).... Bought all the trailer stuff including hitch coupler, wheels, wiring, lights, wheel hubs and bearings from etrailer.com. Reliable suppliers.

I've only towed it at high speed for and hour or so. That's when a fender shook lose; but, I'm happy with the result.

Edited by John Ranalletta
Lone_RT_rider

Be careful doing all that welding in the driveway. Nowadays the neighbors will turn you in for running a "repair shop". Damned Iphone generation.....

You kids get off my lawn!

lol

Be careful doing all that welding in the driveway. Nowadays the neighbors will turn you in for running a "repair shop". Damned Iphone generation.....

lol

Only if you have one of those lame HOA's/POA's.

John Ranalletta

lol

Only if you have one of those lame HOA's/POA's.

No siree. Our lot is metes/bounds and abutts a subdivision with a weak-to-non existent HOA.

I'm president, vice-president and recording secretary of my own HOA.

John Ranalletta
I forgot to add, sweet trailer,...wish I had me some weldin' skilz.

This is evidence one needs no skills.

Excellent work John. :grin: Wish I had skills to do something like that.

We live in an area with a HOA. Love it. Everyone knew the rules when they moved in. Don't like the rules, move out.

Keeps out the idiots and others who lack common courtesy and respect for others.

BTW Welding isn't prohibited, but horses, hogs and other livestock is! :clap:

Edited by Bud

Nice trailer/project John!

.....We live in an area with a HOA. Love it. Everyone knew the rules when they moved in. Don't like the rules, move out.

Keeps out the idiots and others who lack common courtesy and respect for others.

Rode my motorcycle to a reunion with high school buddies at a rental unit in a HOA community near Dustin, FL 2 years ago. I was greeted by a sign stating "No Motorcycles Allowed". Not the first time I ignored a stupid sign. :grin:

Edited by Endobobdds
John Ranalletta

We live in an area with a HOA. Love it. Everyone knew the rules when they moved in. Don't like the rules, move out.

Thanks. Are chickens allowed?

A neighborhood couple told adjoining neighbors their intent to create a "community" chicken coop. Each neighbor would have their own chicken and the coop would have wifi cameras to record whose hen laid which egg. This is for real. They marked out an area for a coop in their yard and hosted a meeting for neighbors to discuss the idea. The couple distributed materials about chicken husbandry, advantages-disadvantages, etc.

Neighbors were rocked. They were were coming unhinged but didn't want to make waves with the couple.

At the meeting, the couple startled the neighbors by saying, "April Fools!"

The neighbors are pondering retribution.

That's hilarious.

My favorite bit is trying to keep track of whose egg is which. :)

Yeah, that's just silly, nobody will have the time to watch the video.

They need a smartphone app to notify the owner when an egg drops, and automatically "crow" about it on Facebook.

Thanks. Are chickens allowed?

A neighborhood couple told adjoining neighbors their intent to create a "community" chicken coop. Each neighbor would have their own chicken and the coop would have wifi cameras to record whose hen laid which egg. This is for real. They marked out an area for a coop in their yard and hosted a meeting for neighbors to discuss the idea. The couple distributed materials about chicken husbandry, advantages-disadvantages, etc.

Neighbors were rocked. They were were coming unhinged but didn't want to make waves with the couple.

At the meeting, the couple startled the neighbors by saying, "April Fools!"

The neighbors are pondering retribution.

No chickens but I like the co-op idea. :clap:

That's hilarious.

My favorite bit is trying to keep track of whose egg is which. :)

Yeah, that's just silly, nobody will have the time to watch the video.

They need a smartphone app to notify the owner when an egg drops, and automatically "crow" about it on Facebook.

Perhaps nanobots introduced into the feed could be used to "tag" the eggs as they are formed and then it would be easier to keep track.